• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2013 Season thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I see Panthers continue their policy of quantity over quality.

With the quality of their under 20s and other juniors. They just need to buy in some experience top quality pros to play around them. They continue to buy players that will play ahead of these guys rather then play with them.

Hopefully Manly on the radar to pick up some of their disgruntled juniors that are frustrated at playing behind all these mediocre first graders. Panthers juniors primed for Silvertails attack.

the big bambino

International Captain
Gould loves Soward though doesn't he? I think he boosted him at the roosters years ago. Not surprising then that Soward follows him to the mountains.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Gould loves Soward though doesn't he? I think he boosted him at the roosters years ago. Not surprising then that Soward follows him to the mountains.
Gould's Sowardism, there is more but can't be bothered.

" Soward the quickest player across 20 metres..."
"This (Soward) boy is everywhere.."

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Looks like Keith Galloway will be a Panther soon, who else does Gus gush over?

For the record I think Soward is a decent signing but without doubt they'd be paying overs for him.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Panthers continue their policy of quantity over quality.

With the quality of their under 20s and other juniors. They just need to buy in some experience top quality pros to play around them. They continue to buy players that will play ahead of these guys rather then play with them.

Hopefully Manly on the radar to pick up some of their disgruntled juniors that are frustrated at playing behind all these mediocre first graders. Panthers juniors primed for Silvertails attack.
What options do we have? Our halves have been a huge problem for a long long time, and we need an "experienced top quality pro" for the reasons you mentioned. We tried for JT but didn't get him, who else would you sign? Carney? Risky. Williams? Inexperienced. Widdop? Who knows how he'll go without some of the best players in a generation around. Townsend or Hodkinson? Sowards better. Halves are rare as hens teeth so getting one at (close to) his prime who has ticked nearly every box in his career isn't something we should lose too much sleep over.

Our 20s team is overflowing with talent, but who knows how they will develop. I've heard for years how we didnt need player x because Sammut, Seijka and Iosefa were prodigies that would rescue us. If one of the juniors comes along (like Graham :() then there's still room for them, Soward is just the closest thing to an "experienced top quality pro" that we can get ATM. The haters are going to be good value as well which as a Manly fan I figure you'll appreciate.

Anyway it's reported we got him for 1mill over 4 years. That's an absolute heist if true.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What options do we have? Our halves have been a huge problem for a long long time, and we need an "experienced top quality pro" for the reasons you mentioned. We tried for JT but didn't get him, who else would you sign? Carney? Risky. Williams? Inexperienced. Widdop? Who knows how he'll go without some of the best players in a generation around. Townsend or Hodkinson? Sowards better. Halves are rare as hens teeth so getting one at (close to) his prime who has ticked nearly every box in his career isn't something we should lose too much sleep over.

Our 20s team is overflowing with talent, but who knows how they will develop. I've heard for years how we didnt need player x because Sammut, Seijka and Iosefa were prodigies that would rescue us. If one of the juniors comes along (like Graham :() then there's still room for them, Soward is just the closest thing to an "experienced top quality pro" that we can get ATM. The haters are going to be good value as well which as a Manly fan I figure you'll appreciate.

Anyway it's reported we got him for 1mill over 4 years. That's an absolute heist if true.
Individually there is nothing wrong with his signing. 250k petty cheap.

But the issue all the recent signing; Soward, Humble, Whare, Naiqamia, Segeyaro, Manu, Brown etc. A lot go average players that don't add a lot of quality. Would have been better trying to get 3-4 big names to build around the juniors coming through.

If you got the cash reckon Carney would have been perfect for you guys. Or try your luck on talent like Williams. Rather then just another mediocre player.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its a little subjective, I mean Whare in some peoples eyes is a very big talent and Manu came from a winning culture and is powerful and started the year quite well. Segayaro offers spark and Brown is versatile and Cleary likes him. Humble is young. They aren't terrible.

The Panthers big problem is definitely the halves inability to control a game and the teams inability to defend for 80 minutes (they often have poor 5-10 minute lapses).

I'm not saying they have signed great players or anything and I do agree that quality over quantity would have been my method, but if no one big accepts the offers, what can the Panthers do about it? Lachlan Coote has been a massive lose for them.

BTW, I've just been watching a classic match, 1989 Aus vs NZ Test match and it is so fun to watch, way less structured just makes the game that much more exciting.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say Pritchard played far better than he has this year for the Dogs. Kiwis put up a good fight in the first half, too bad they completely lost it for 10 mins.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
BTW, I've just been watching a classic match, 1989 Aus vs NZ Test match and it is so fun to watch, way less structured just makes the game that much more exciting.
I watched that too, when Steve Roach punched that dude in the face as he lay on the ground made me :laugh: