Cricket Player Manager
Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: *Official* NRL 2013 Season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hey? I'm not asking for the NRL to get 90,000 fans in Melbourne. Brisbane or Sydney will do. Pretty sure the history of NRL is pretty good in those cities, can't see any reason not to get the fans there.

If you can get plenty of fans to Origin, you should be able to get them to the NRL games then.

Never had an issue with the rugby league game. My issue is with how the NRL is run. Just go ****ing watch your team play every now and then for Christ's sake.
    And my point is its not that simple. C'mon man you think NRL administrators haven't thought about increasing crowds?

The differences in crowd sizes all stem from the differences between Sydney and Melboune as cities. Melbourne CBD is located close(ish) to the geographical center of the city, while Sydney sprawls much further outwards with the city's sporting teams reflecting this. Compare the geographic spread of Sydney NRL teams compared to Melbourne AFL teams. Melbourne can service the entire city with teams in from inner city suburbs, Sydney can't. Glebe, Annandale, Newtown and Ashfield (old school Western Suburbs) all died as the city's population spread out.

Because AFL clubs are centralized, resources can be pumped into a few (2) centralized stadiums,but the same is near impossible for Sydney. How can you convince a major population center they represent a region if they play their games 45 minutes away? So you need more stadiums which cost more to maintain and will inevitably be of a lower quality. It's doesn't help when new stadiums get hijacked by rival codes to be "multi purpose" (aka **** for rectangular sports) but that's another issue.

So you have more stadiums, smaller and further away from each other but teams that truly do represent a region which is important in a city that is a collection of wildly varying population centers. Penrith bears little resemblance to Cabramatta which bears little remblance to the Hills which looks nothing like Auburn which in turn looks nothing like Cronulla. When you travel to watch your team you truly get a sense of entering enemy territory. Yeah you get smaller crowds but there's a connection to the culture of the city that wouldn't exist if we were all figurative franchises playing in a soulless concrete wasteland like Olympic Park.

So when some Victorian comes along and proclaims "just increase crowds mate", "it's not that simple" is merely the most patient of a plethora of possible responses. The others mostly involve asterisks.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    ****s come up with all sorts of excuses for the difference in crowd numbers, i.e. ticket prices, nrl supporters are poor ****s and can't afford it etc but honestly i reckon afl is just a better live spectacle, the nrl is good to go to aswell but you get a better view of the game on your tv, the play is only ever in one part of the ground so you don't miss anything by not being at the ground. afl on the otherhand theres to some extent something happening on every part of the ground and by going to the game your getting a better view of play e.g, a better view of the forwards running leads and whatnot.

beer prices far to high at sydney grounds also ftr
    I think you meant to say "AFL is better as a live spectacle" meaning its far better live than on tv. Comparing the live experience of two sports is impossible to do properly because its always subjective. For example I would say Rugby League is infinitely better live than AFL (beer prices notwithstanding) but I'd expect Jono to disagree pretty strongly.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Good to see the 'Friday Night Specials' getting as much help as possible from the refs in the last 20 mins....what's an offside and two different interpretations of a dropped ball between friends?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

**** me manly are good, their defence is easily the best in the competition and when Glenn Stewart comes back they'll be bloody hard to beat. Josh Reynolds is one over rated **** btw, average playmaker, average kicker, average ball runner. hes not a bad defender and hes a good competitor but ****s saying hes a shoo in for origin are ****ed, a regular michael ennis in my books

yeah he looked like **** tonight. wish we'd kept mitch brown though. good kid that one.

tits game was fun. in the 2nd row on halfway. got to call hodges a grub. bird to miss a week? have him in dt
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    bird to miss a week? have him in dt
    Same. Had Sezer too and didn't realize he'd been scrubbed last night

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    And you wonder why kids get into betting and the like when this **** teaches them thevalue of a buck and how to trade/ negotiate on the value of players. they ought not be playing it.

Sorry, but they shouldn't.
    I dare say tom Waterhouse has more to do with that than me you prick

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I dare say tom Waterhouse has more to do with that than me you prick
    Come to think of it, I've never seen Jono and Tom Waterhouse in the same room.. Coincidence, I think not.

PS - BRONCOS!!
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Red letter day.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

that merritt try!

georgeous that is awesome. amazing. best front rower try

man that was an awesome game of footy. such skill, what entertainment

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Wow, massive come back win by the Raiders there. Huge result for them.

You'd be doing well to have successfully tipped 3/3 today. Good to see some very tight matches too.

Does anyone know when the Test teams are being announced, is it next Sunday?

That's the twelfth time I've watched my team live and the twelfth time I've watched them lose. Not enjoyable.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread Information