• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2013 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
if player A increases by 50k and player B stays at the same price, and i trade player B what is the effect? none? had no idea about this
You just get player Bs value to spend. The increase in player As value is irrelevant unless you're trading him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If you trade out player B your cap increases by the amount of player Bs value at the time of trading. So if player Bs value is 180k you have 180k to spend. If you bought player B at the start of the season for 100k you've effectively increased your team's value by 80k, if you bought player B for 200k you've effectively decreased your team's value by 20k.

Pretty simple indeed. I'm sure he's got some pretty straightforward views on conflict in the middle east, humanity's oil addiction and world hunger too.
I agree with your assessment that the chances of the NRL ever getting crowds like the AFL is about the same as the chances of peace in the Middle East and of world hunger ever ending, i.e. none.
if player A increases by 50k and player B stays at the same price, and i trade player B what is the effect? none? had no idea about this
Dead set is this bloke serious? 10 year olds play fantasy competitions and understand the how pricing works.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
cool thanks. with it now. gained a bit, but not as much as you!
Yeah, the first 3 weeks are important for scouting players scoring wayyy above their price bracket and getting them into your team. (values only start shifting after week 3) Keep an eye out for high scoring rookies debuting throughout the year as their value will be low for the first 3 weeks and rise before their 4th game.

uvelocity

International Coach
Dead set is this bloke serious? 10 year olds play fantasy competitions and understand the how pricing works.
never played fantasy **** before ****. still managed to beat your afl buddies in the bbl one #nrlsmartafldumb

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with your assessment that the chances of the NRL ever getting crowds like the AFL is about the same as the chances of peace in the Middle East and of world hunger ever ending, i.e. none.
Well unlike fans of some other sports, NRL fans aren't deluded enough to think their sport will "take over" a city with over 100 years of history with a specific code.

Don't think there'll be too many spare seats at ANZ stadium on June 5th though. Or are we not supposed to be counting that?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well unlike fans of some other sports, NRL fans aren't deluded enough to think their sport will "take over" a city with over 100 years of history with a specific code.

Don't think there'll be too many spare seats at ANZ stadium on June 5th though. Or are we not supposed to be counting that?
Hey? I'm not asking for the NRL to get 90,000 fans in Melbourne. Brisbane or Sydney will do. Pretty sure the history of NRL is pretty good in those cities, can't see any reason not to get the fans there.

If you can get plenty of fans to Origin, you should be able to get them to the NRL games then.

Never had an issue with the rugby league game. My issue is with how the NRL is run. Just go ****ing watch your team play every now and then for Christ's sake.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Hey? I'm not asking for the NRL to get 90,000 fans in Melbourne. Brisbane or Sydney will do. Pretty sure the history of NRL is pretty good in those cities, can't see any reason not to get the fans there.

If you can get plenty of fans to Origin, you should be able to get them to the NRL games then.

Never had an issue with the rugby league game. My issue is with how the NRL is run. Just go ****ing watch your team play every now and then for Christ's sake.
****s come up with all sorts of excuses for the difference in crowd numbers, i.e. ticket prices, nrl supporters are poor ****s and can't afford it etc but honestly i reckon afl is just a better live spectacle, the nrl is good to go to aswell but you get a better view of the game on your tv, the play is only ever in one part of the ground so you don't miss anything by not being at the ground. afl on the otherhand theres to some extent something happening on every part of the ground and by going to the game your getting a better view of play e.g, a better view of the forwards running leads and whatnot.

beer prices far to high at sydney grounds also ftr

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

And you wonder why kids get into betting and the like when this **** teaches them thevalue of a buck and how to trade/ negotiate on the value of players. they ought not be playing it.

Sorry, but they shouldn't.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How good is it that the Broncos are back on at a late hour when no one outside their own **** city has to watch them?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

And my point is its not that simple. C'mon man you think NRL administrators haven't thought about increasing crowds?

The differences in crowd sizes all stem from the differences between Sydney and Melboune as cities. Melbourne CBD is located close(ish) to the geographical center of the city, while Sydney sprawls much further outwards with the city's sporting teams reflecting this. Compare the geographic spread of Sydney NRL teams compared to Melbourne AFL teams. Melbourne can service the entire city with teams in from inner city suburbs, Sydney can't. Glebe, Annandale, Newtown and Ashfield (old school Western Suburbs) all died as the city's population spread out.

Because AFL clubs are centralized, resources can be pumped into a few (2) centralized stadiums,but the same is near impossible for Sydney. How can you convince a major population center they represent a region if they play their games 45 minutes away? So you need more stadiums which cost more to maintain and will inevitably be of a lower quality. It's doesn't help when new stadiums get hijacked by rival codes to be "multi purpose" (aka **** for rectangular sports) but that's another issue.

So you have more stadiums, smaller and further away from each other but teams that truly do represent a region which is important in a city that is a collection of wildly varying population centers. Penrith bears little resemblance to Cabramatta which bears little remblance to the Hills which looks nothing like Auburn which in turn looks nothing like Cronulla. When you travel to watch your team you truly get a sense of entering enemy territory. Yeah you get smaller crowds but there's a connection to the culture of the city that wouldn't exist if we were all figurative franchises playing in a soulless concrete wasteland like Olympic Park.

So when some Victorian comes along and proclaims "just increase crowds mate", "it's not that simple" is merely the most patient of a plethora of possible responses. The others mostly involve asterisks.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
****s come up with all sorts of excuses for the difference in crowd numbers, i.e. ticket prices, nrl supporters are poor ****s and can't afford it etc but honestly i reckon afl is just a better live spectacle, the nrl is good to go to aswell but you get a better view of the game on your tv, the play is only ever in one part of the ground so you don't miss anything by not being at the ground. afl on the otherhand theres to some extent something happening on every part of the ground and by going to the game your getting a better view of play e.g, a better view of the forwards running leads and whatnot.

beer prices far to high at sydney grounds also ftr
I think you meant to say "AFL is better as a live spectacle" meaning its far better live than on tv. Comparing the live experience of two sports is impossible to do properly because its always subjective. For example I would say Rugby League is infinitely better live than AFL (beer prices notwithstanding) but I'd expect Jono to disagree pretty strongly.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see the 'Friday Night Specials' getting as much help as possible from the refs in the last 20 mins....what's an offside and two different interpretations of a dropped ball between friends?

dermo

International Vice-Captain
**** me manly are good, their defence is easily the best in the competition and when Glenn Stewart comes back they'll be bloody hard to beat. Josh Reynolds is one over rated **** btw, average playmaker, average kicker, average ball runner. hes not a bad defender and hes a good competitor but ****s saying hes a shoo in for origin are ****ed, a regular michael ennis in my books

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah he looked like **** tonight. wish we'd kept mitch brown though. good kid that one.

**** game was fun. in the 2nd row on halfway. got to call hodges a grub. bird to miss a week? have him in dt

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And you wonder why kids get into betting and the like when this **** teaches them thevalue of a buck and how to trade/ negotiate on the value of players. they ought not be playing it.

Sorry, but they shouldn't.
I dare say tom Waterhouse has more to do with that than me you prick