• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kabbadi Thread

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are there any dedicated sites for Kabbadi out there. I have a hankering to watch some at the moment and sadly Sky NZ doesn't consider it to be a mainstream support worthy of broadcast.

Scaly piscine

Used to watch that about twenty years ago on Channel 4, sponsored by Tilda Rice and the music... I don't know how to describe it other than to say it would be almost impossible to mimic.

Anyway I'm a bit rusty, but basically it's a 7-a-side game, played on what looks a bit like a clay tennis court without the net. The teams take it in turns to send an attacker. The attacker has to keep saying kabaddi to show they're not taking a breath in - which they're not allowed to do. The idea of the attacker is to touch people on the 'defending' side and get back to their own side. The defending side is trying to capture the attacker by getting hold of them and stopping them getting back. So you generally have a sort of standoff where the defending guys are holding hands in a chain and adjusting their position according to the attacker and trying not to get touched (unless they can pounce themselves). I can't remember how the whole prisoner and scoring thing works, but it doesn't stay 7-a-side long.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Used to watch that about twenty years ago on Channel 4, sponsored by Tilda Rice and the music... I don't know how to describe it other than to say it would be almost impossible to mimic.
Yep - same here. Wasn't it broadcast before or after Football Italia?

But yeah, the premise you've outlined is about right as I recall. If the attacker touches a defender and gets back to his own half, then the defender is out of the game.

If the attacker gets pounced on before he can get back to his half, then he's out of the game.

Then you lose if you run out of players, I think.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Used to play it tonnes in school back in the day. I'm not sure how the pros work, but Scaly's almost got it covered. When the 'attacker' enters the defense's half, he's trying to touch as many defenders as he can and then get back to his team's half. Anybody that gets touched by the attacker is considered out if the attacker makes it back to home ground, so the defense has to try and prevent him from getting back and make him take a breath in. Some teams will play it safe and only risk pouncing on someone if the attacker touches one of theirs, while others will play aggressively and try to pounce on anyone that comes close to them.

The players that are out can come back in one by one for every player of the opposition that gets out.

This is a good game as an example:

2010 Asian Games - Kabaddi / Men's Semifinal / Pakistan vs Iran 1/3 - YouTube

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bunch of blokes hanging around holding hands.

Yep, seems like something Prowls would be into.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddi KABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABAD *heavy panting*

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi kabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddikabaddi KABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABADDIKABAD *heavy panting*
Gotta try that in the sack.

HeathDavisSpeed

It has already started? Is there somewhere on-line to watch it legitimately. Kabbadi > rain breaks in cricket.

King Pietersen

International Captain
It's on Star. I work for the company that provide the video player for Star's website, so we've constantly got Kabbadi on in the office, so you could get it on there, but you'll have to pay for a subscription. Pretty entertaining to watch.

Last edited: