Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flintoff to launch boxing career!

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    He must have made a fair bit from those Morrisons ads as well - but he gives the impression of someone who's a bit daft with money (a bit like Gazza, but not that bad) and has a lot of hangers-on looking for handouts.

I suppose this means we can look forward to seeing him punch-drunk now? Might be needing those dark glasses again.
    Last edited by stumpski; 06-09-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Was going to say, is he that hard up for cash?

It never ceases to amaze me how athletes from other sports think they can get into boxing. FMD it's as hard (and corrupt) a sport as there is just about.

Back in the late 60s Wilt Chamberlain wanted to challenge Ali, and made a big hullaballoo about it, because of his size (think he was over 7 feet tall) he'd keep Ali away and all that. Howard Cossell had them both on his show one night - Ali was his first guest. Then Chamberlain came on and Ali stood up and shouted "TIMBERRRRR!!!!!!!" at Chamberlain, who basically turned white on the spot and decided the fight wouldn't go ahead.

It's dumb of Flintoff. He's a hero in England. He has a proud legacy as a gifted cricketer who's much loved for his larrakin ways. Unless it's something for charity, he should give it a miss. Surely he could make decent coin on the speaking circuit and in the media.

Seems a crazy idea.
    In all fairness I seriously doubt Flintoff is going to be fighting anyone even approaching British title class never mind world class far less Ali class.

SBW has won his five or six fights, hasn't he? Imagine Fred would be fed a similar diet of bums early on and have his arse handed to him when he steps up to fight someone with a modicum of ability.

Must admit I agree with UC; think it's more likely a former great raging at the dying of the light rather than him being short of cash. If the latter was his main motivation he'd surely just go on Celebrity Big Brother or some other witless ****ery show.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Adam Hollioake, at 40 a few years older than Fred, has been trying something similar hasn't he - boxing and cage fighting I believe. He has lost most of his money, as he's admitted.

cpr
    Hollioake lost his in bad property investments overseas though. I would've thought if Fred went the property route he'd have done a Robbie Fowler and bought up half the North West housing market - its been a no fail almost because it was so rock bottom to start with, but you never know.

I'm guessing its more boredom than anything else. Probably missing the adrenile buzz of competing, Also gives him a goal to focus on, because I'd expect him to be the type to go seriously off the rails if he hasn't got anything to keep him motivated - hence all the crap TV shows (which TBH, he's not actually been too bad on)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    So how is Flintoff going to stay off the booze in the build up to a fight then?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Adam Hollioake, at 40 a few years older than Fred, has been trying something similar hasn't he - boxing and cage fighting I believe. He has lost most of his money, as he's admitted.
    Hollioake has an extensive martial arts background and wasnt doing it for the money either

Fred doesnt need the money, will make a **** load fighting tomato cans and will never fight anybody with a pulse

It's tonight, fight fans ... not too hard to see it all ending as per Ricky Hatton, but perhaps the big lad'll surprise us.

I bet he wishes it was Richard Dawson the one-time Gloucs offie - I reckon even I could take him.

He's certainly got an impressive physique for it.

/not gay
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    There was an admirably even handed article from Steve Bunce in The Independent this week.

He's convinced Fred's on the level, but that he is (as I said in the Boxing thread) technically very limited. Bunce dismisses any hope he'll get to Sonny Bill Williams level.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bunce

Flintoff's decision to fight as a professional boxer has never been a hoax and his slow and painful and bloody progress to novice heavyweight has been commendable. Flintoff is not a natural boxer and was denied a licence the first time he applied, but he has doggedly pursued the craft in the gym, even if it mostly remains out of his grasp.

Nobody is certain where Flintoff's adventure will take him and there is wild speculation that a distant showdown with All Black Sonny Bill Williams is a possibility. Well, it is not, trust me.

He's apparently a naturally hard-man though Freddie isn't he. Paddy Power bloke on the radio saying he's just a cricketer not a rugby player, but didn't he in an altercation with some ruggerers, just disable them for a bit, and they all became good mates. His pain threshold must be high too after bowling with practically no cartilage for a while.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    If he wins tonight does it count towards his all rounder credentials?

#JacquesWho
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

"Freddies gonna Get Ya"

Blimey is this what Jim Rosenthal is doing now?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Just hope he doesn't get hurt.

GIMP just orgasmed...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information