• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football World Cup Qualifying Draw

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar said:
I'm utterly lost. Explain.
OK, I know I made a mistake - it should be eleven groups of six, not ten groups.

Preliminary Round: 18 groups of four - 72 non-seeded teams - winners and second-placed go through
Main Qualifying Round: 11 groups of six - 30 seeded teams + 36 non-seeded teams - winners qualify, best second-placed qualify, remaining ten play off for five places in the WC.

And the reason the preliminary round is groups of four instead of direct knock-out is to give teams like Azerbaijan, Mauritania, Somalia et al international experience. Two important games in two years is going to give them that...

Craig

World Traveller
chris.hinton said:
I beleive that the aussie should qualify Direct to the world cup instead of play offs with Asian or South America teams, that is not fair

mind you New Zealand, Soloman Islands and Papua new Guinea are not likely to challange them for a fair few years yet
Well we only have about 3 or 4 players playing in League One and Two and none in the Championship or Premiership, then probably not.

It wouldn't work and would never happen, Simply they would have to play against each other and the winner goes through. I am happy to leave it the way it is.

You could really imagine it if Fiji put through the ultimate shock and won the WC qualifyers and went on to be grouped with Brazil or Argentina, then it would be a case of what score to they declare on at half-time?

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
In that case they have a legit complaint - you know the point we're trying to make :p
So could Charlton be in a similar situation if Jason Euell gets injuried playing for Jamiaca despite the fact he played for England u-21?