• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football World Cup Qualifying Draw

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Owen (3), Heskey, Gerrard.
True...was thinking of another match you surely must have heard about though (unless you ignore a certain club from a northern town who wins a lot...)

Cloete

International Captain
what chances do Scottie Parker and Frank Lampard have o making the World Cup Quals squad? To be fair to them, both have been just about brilliant. Especially Parker, he's done a hell of alot for Charlton and is one major reason why their doing so well in the Premiership. Lampard has been brilliant as well, but I don't rate him as much becasue he's with a team of superstars.

Thoughtsd?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The two goals Parker scored against Southampton at the weekend were both sensational strikes.

Cloete

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
The two goals Parker scored against Southampton at the weekend were both sensational strikes.
yeah his two goals added up to 50 yards for both strikes! so they were something special!

but i must say southampton's long range shooting was quite brilliant as well. Prutton looks as if he's finally coming through and proving his worth all the hype. Kiely was solid in goal for Charlton to deny the long-ranged shooting of the Saints.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
It was a cracking game Sunday, i'm not sure about Prutton yet though. You can't really say hes coming thorugh on the evidence of one game, he hasn't even been in the team most of the season.

Parker and Lampard are good players but i'm not sure either of them are international quality yet. Neither of them would get in the team and I think there will only be room for one of them in the squad for Portugal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swanny said:
Parker and Lampard are good players but i'm not sure either of them are international quality yet. Neither of them would get in the team and I think there will only be room for one of them in the squad for Portugal.
Lampard is there if fit.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree but not so sure this is a good idea. He tends to play well at the top of Chelsea's diamond and far less effective elsewhere. But we already have Scholes there and Dyer is far better. The only option is the left hand side which he may get shunted into if anything (god forbid, we cant' afford another tournament without him) happens to Gerrard.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
True...was thinking of another match you surely must have heard about though (unless you ignore a certain club from a northern town who wins a lot...)
Hull the best club ever :P

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wash your mouth out young man!!!

Always s*** on the north side of the bridge, de do de do de do de do.

Craig

World Traveller
With the exceptioon of Michael Owen I dont think England have any really good strikers.

Heskey I dont rate and Rooney is so over-rated it aint funny. He only ever seems to preform for England not Everton. Either that he has to go to a better club then Everton.

He is certainly not better then Obamefri Martins or Rafaal Van Der Vaart.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bump because I've just realised that either: Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, Costa Rica and Jamaica are going to the WC finals...(unless Honduras manage to beat Costa Rica by the odd goal, or Jamaica lose to USA - in which case Panama or El Salvador go through)...also, one of the aforementioned teams play off against Bahrain, Kuwait, North Korea or...wait for it...Uzbekistan.

In the meantime, either Romania, Czech Republic or the Netherlands have to go out, and Spain might play off against France...(far-fetched, but possible)

At least India 1-0-4 (2-18) brings a smile to my face :)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and australia only have to beat the Solomon Islands again (just did them 11-1 on agg) to have a crack at the 5th placed south america side, who at this stage is chilie. I think we most want to avoid Uruguay and Columbia out of the sides that are in that middle part of the table, Chilie or Venezuela wouldnt be a bad match up for us....

Craig

World Traveller
Did anybody see Portugal's 7-1 trashing of Russia a few weeks ago?

I truely felt for the Russian goalkeeper on that day as he had no chance of stoping the ball on each goal being scored.

I question I have is, should the South American qualifying group be split into two groups of five, and play twice which makes it fairer on big clubs who have heaps of South American players (like Inter aand AC Milan) who have to pay their wages and yet have to travel to the other side of the world and travel some more to another country to play in a WC qualifyer and then go back to Italy or Spain exhausted?

It must get a bit monotomous (sp) after a while.

Cloete

International Captain
Craig said:
Did anybody see Portugal's 7-1 trashing of Russia a few weeks ago?

I truely felt for the Russian goalkeeper on that day as he had no chance of stoping the ball on each goal being scored.

I question I have is, should the South American qualifying group be split into two groups of five, and play twice which makes it fairer on big clubs who have heaps of South American players (like Inter aand AC Milan) who have to pay their wages and yet have to travel to the other side of the world and travel some more to another country to play in a WC qualifyer and then go back to Italy or Spain exhausted?

It must get a bit monotomous (sp) after a while.
Yeah I saw it... every goal bar one was absolute quality in that game.

The long distance shooting was superb, some of the best I've seen in a long time!!

ESPN is great :)

Craig

World Traveller
Your lucky.

I don't even have it. I had to watch it on The World Game on SBS.

Craig Foster can really be annoying at times. Sometimes you would swear he is Deco's and Barcelona's number 1 supporters.

Maybe he lost a few brain cells when he was playing for Palace and Pompey?