• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football World Cup Qualifying Draw

Craig

World Traveller
I would laugh if some country like Fiji played out of their skins and won through to the play-off spot to the WC.

I hope Uzbekistan do well.

amits

Banned
watch out for the brazilians of asian football in the group 3 in the asian qualifiers.

i think that india will beat oman and singapore. japan is the only major threat. if 2 teams r qualifying, then i expect japan to qualify alongwith the brazilians of asian football.

and not only this,

INDIA WILL QUALIFY FO THE 2006 FOOTBALL WORLD CUP !!!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
amits said:
watch out for the brazilians of asian football in the group 3 in the asian qualifiers.

i think that india will beat oman and singapore. japan is the only major threat. if 2 teams r qualifying, then i expect japan to qualify alongwith the brazilians of asian football.

and not only this,

INDIA WILL QUALIFY FO THE 2006 FOOTBALL WORLD CUP !!!
1 team is qualifying, I think...and if you expect India to beat Japan, well, there's not much I can do for you. Japan to walk group 3 in Asia. Even if they should beat Japan there is still South Korea, Saudi Arabia etc. to beat in the next group stage - where the top two qualify for Germany and the third placed plays off (against an African team I think)

Craig

World Traveller
I saw plenty of EPL shirts being worn during the TVS Cup so I would say there is some following.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
India have more chance of winning the Test Series in Australia than making WC2006.

1) They won't win the group

2) Even if they do win the group, there are only 2/3 qualification places for the 8 groups winners...

To go to some of Saudi, Korea, Japan and China most likely.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
1The third placed plays off (against an African team I think)
Africa is 5 groups of 6, winners qualify.

3rd Place Asia plays 4th Place CONCACAF (N & C America)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Africa is 5 groups of 6, winners qualify.

3rd Place Asia plays 4th Place CONCACAF (N & C America)
Partly true. Asia has 4 1/2 spots (remember, last year they had two hosts?). Africa 5, South America 4 1/2 (play-off with Oceania), Oceania 1/2 (play-off with South America), CONCACAF 3 1/2 (play-off with Asia) and Europe 14 makes 32.

Anyway, if India beats Japan the job is done IMO. They obviously have a strong enough team, then, to beat Uzbekistan, UAE/North Korea, and the likes they need to beat to get fifth place. Costa Rica/Trinidad and Tobago or whomever finishes fourth in CONCACAF is a laugh (apology to Liam if he sees this thread...)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Gross illiteracy on my part, apologies :)

Third Round of the Asia Qualifying sees the eight group winners in two groups of four. First and second in each go through automatically, third in each group play off against each other for the honour of going out to the CONCACAF side.

You underrate CONCACAF, Sam... USA, Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, T&T can all match fifth place in Asia :P

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Gross underestimation on my part, yes...Costa Rica beat China 2-0 at the recent World Cup for example. I was just a bit overimpressed with some Asian teams World Cup performance...but fourth place in CONCACAF, who's that gonna be most likely? Costa Rica or Trinidad & Tobago or Canada...Mexico, USA are there for sure. It's just that when I hear CONCACAF, I think USA, I think non-footballing nations..."are a laugh" is way too strong however, sorry about that...