Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2012

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Looking forward to that one.

Looks like the Vuelta might be a cracking finish, too. A ride too far for Froome, though.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Mark Cavendish breaks long silence to confirm he wants a move away from Team Sky - Telegraph

Unless every race was held on a dead flat course, why would anyone build a team around a sprinter?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    does a bunch of team-mates saying they took drugs count as a thing
    bump
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Interesting the US doping bods have released at least part of their evidence now. As one understands some proceedings against other US Postal personages are still ongoing.

On the 2 + 2 = 5 bike (ha) also noted one of the riders who gave evidence against Armstrong was a Sky rider (Michael Barry); in light of their absolute dominance of this year's race...?

Sky have said they have no doubts he was clean duirng his stint with them but, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, they would say that, wouldn't they?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

well, Sky murdered the tour in a fashion not seen since Armstrong, so it basically means a healthy amount of people will have their doubts. But I don't think a Sky rider being one of the guys who gave evidence changes anything.

USADA now suggesting Armstrong perjured himself in court back in 2005, the BBC reports.

The article mentions Marion Jones (another athlete who famously "never failed a drug test") doing stir for a similar offence.

Be very interesting to see how this plays out now. My personal guess is that it's partly a gambit from USADA in the long game of getting Armstrong to finally cough. A confession might be part of a plea bargain to avoid a similar fate to Jones.

please get him into a court and someone please film it.

International Captain straw man's Avatar

its a **** article. can only read a pararaph
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Opening paragraph goes for shock value with a few harsh words used (though hard to call any of those unfair), while the second sentence is unnecessary. However the rest of the article is an excellent dismissal of the cult surrounding Armstrong.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Opening paragraph goes for shock value with a few harsh words used (though hard to call any of those unfair), while the second sentence is unnecessary. However the rest of the article is an excellent dismissal of the cult surrounding Armstrong.
    I think youvers means we can literally only read a paragraph without logging on to the site. Quick C&P in order? I enjoy a good j'accuse style character assassination, me.

picture me like a seal btw, going pararaph, pararaph!!!

nah **** patrick smith

Ah, the 5358944th chapter of Piers Morgan is a ****ing ****, is a doozy

You'd think a former news editor may just choose his words a tad better.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Odd, it didn't make me go through the paywall first time and now I found a way around it by googling the first paragraph and then clicking on it. Anyway,

LANCE Armstrong is a creep. A liar, cheat and a bully. So awful is Armstrong, you are right to question whether all his work for cancer patients is not just calculated camouflage to protect his abuse of drugs, his competitors, teammates and supporters.

He is not just part of the drug regime that saturated cycling when he was at his peak, but he has been that culture's bodyguard. Its enforcer. And he remains so today, arrogantly dismissing the US Anti-Doping Agency findings by telling the world through Twitter that he was "unaffected" by the release of the 1000-page investigation findings. No one in sport has lived a bigger lie. Tiger Woods led two lives, one in public and one in bedrooms other than his own. But he did not cheat his sport as an athlete. Woods is flawed. Armstrong, who used his bedroom as a blood bank, is a crook.

And he had accomplices. They are not just within his team and entourage. Not just his doctors on the tour, not just his "people", not just his teammates, not just his message boys and fetch-it people.

They include cycling administrations, international and local. They include a besotted media and they include a sycophantic public. Excused are those who fight and fought cancer armed with the inspiration of the Armstrong myth.

A read of USADA's Reasoned Decision published on Thursday tells you that Armstrong was not exposed earlier because the sport of cycling did not want to catch him. Nor did the media have the courage to expose him, nor the public the will to disbelieve him.

The USADA documents detail a sport not just aware of, but complicit to, the use of performance-enhancing drugs. It is inconceivable that officials were not conscious that cyclists believed that they could only become competitive on the tour if they used EPO, blood doping, testosterone, cortisone and other drugs and techniques. It appears fundamental to drug use flourishing that cycling officials chose not to stop it. Armstrong, after all, was the face of a sport with an international profile.

The media did not just praise Armstrong, but fawned over him. An example: when Armstrong announced in August he would not fight the charges tabled by USADA, News Limited journalist Anthony Sharwood wrote this: "There'll be some hard-bitten French sports journalists popping champagne corks tonight, while a few in the Australian press will uncork chardonnay. Let them gloat. Lance Armstrong is still a winner to me and to so many of us."

Why? He's a fraud. And frauds aren't and can't be heroes. Sharwood addressed the Armstrong cheating again this week after USADA published the results of its investigation. "The cult of Lance is over now. He's no longer locking anyone with those eyes. His credibility is dead in the water. Mind you, it doesn't say much about the health of the sport of cycling that he was allowed to win seven Tours de France in the first place," Sharwood wrote.

Nor does it say much about the media that sections so fiercely supported Armstrong when all around him tested positive or were found to be involved in drug cheating. It is true Armstrong made it as difficult as he could for anyone who might question the validity of his performances.

He was wealthy, had influence and was litigious. USADA alleges he was able to make a positive EPO test "go away".

A positive test to a steroid was excused after Armstrong's team doctor backdated a script for a cortisone-based ointment for treatment of saddle sores. Nonetheless, too much of the media found it easier to swoon than to suspect. It was not just the media. Former South Australian premier Mike Rann defended Armstrong as an "honourable" man after the star of the state's Tour Down Under was accused on US TV by former teammate Tyler Hamilton of regular use of EPO.

There was too much to lose if Armstrong was found to be a fraud, so best pretend the growing evidence was the result of a "witch-hunt", which is exactly what Armstrong's people did and aggressively so. How does honourable stack up now?

This year's Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins said: "It's pretty damning stuff. It is jaw-dropping the amount of people who have testified against him It's not a one-sided hatchet job. I'm shocked at the scale of the evidence." But not of the scale of drug use?

So vast was drug abuse in cycling that the Lance Armstrong years have to be expunged from the record books altogether. No asterisks, just nothing. Most of the placegetters have proved to be drug cheats. From the 1998 Tour won by drug cheat Marco Pantani to the 2010 edition won by another drug fraud, Alberto Contador, only once, in 2008, has the winner, Carlos Sastre, not been associated with drug deceit.

In every Tour won by Armstrong, at least two of the top three placegetters have been found guilty of drug infractions. In 2003, seven of the top 10 have been exposed. Cyclists filled up with drugs in races as regularly as Formula One drivers stop for petrol.

Cycling will go on, the Tour will continue to draw headlines and publicity, but if you take it seriously, emotionally invest in the race, you do it at your peril.

Armstrong always chanted that he had been tested more than 500 times and never returned a positive. That only proves he never tested positive, not that he did not use drugs. More importantly, the creep must have defended himself more than 500 times and never told the truth. You can be positive about that.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information