• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Btw, I have strong doubts that he'll admit it. If he admits it straight out he faces financial ruin surely.

If he does admit it, he'll do it in a way where he's not legally liable, which I'm not sure is possible, but I don't know much about the situation.
I'm pretty sure he's effed legally anyway, isn't he?

It's not like anyone outside of the tinfoil hat brigade seriously thinks there's any doubt anymore, is there? Think I read The Times have already launched a claim back for the libel they had to pay him over suggesting he used drugs in the early noughties.

When (say) Joey Johns admitted he'd been a fan of MDMA & the Bolivian marching powder it was a genuine shock because it wasn't widely known or even suspected beforehand. With Lance the admission (or lack thereof) is really only of academic interest to see what form it takes.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure he's effed legally anyway, isn't he?

It's not like anyone outside of the tinfoil hat brigade seriously thinks there's any doubt anymore, is there? Think I read The Times have already launched a claim back for the libel they had to pay him over suggesting he used drugs in the early noughties.

When (say) Joey Johns admitted he'd been a fan of MDMA & the Bolivian marching powder it was a genuine shock because it wasn't widely known or even suspected beforehand. With Lance the admission (or lack thereof) is really only of academic interest to see what form it takes.
I dunno, is he? Criminally? Or civil cases?

Genuine question because I don't know much about the crux of the issue, but is the case so strong that it's beyond reasonable doubt?

By the looks of it he stands to lose far more than he stands to gain if he admits it.

Personally I know he's guilty, you know it, even spikey knows it. Everyone but Social knows it. But the small chance of proving that doubt becomes 0% chance when you lay down your guns.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought he'd effectively done that when he chose to "no contest" against the the USADA charges?

Offering no defence against charges is a tacit admission, I'd have thought.

benchmark00

Well to every day people, yeah no doubt, but I think it's hard to get a conviction based on that, no?

Anyway, it's been reported he'll admit it, but I just think if he does, it won't be to the extent which we all know he's guilty.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well to every day people, yeah no doubt, but I think it's hard to get a conviction based on that, no?

Anyway, it's been reported he'll admit it, but I just think if he does, it won't be to the extent which we all know he's guilty.
Oh, I agree with that.

It'll be a self-serving vomit fest that'll have several mentions of Livestrong and the hope it's given to millions, etc plus lashings of his incredible fightback from metastatic bollock cancer, but this is one area where it really is black and white; he's not just guilty of using himself, he's actively promoted the industrial abuse of drugs amongst his team & ruined the careers of anyone who didn't play ball.

As for the USADA case, whilst no lawyer and certainly not enough of a cycling fan to even want to read it in full, my understanding is that it was its watertight nature that made Armstrong finally lay down his lance (see what I did there?).

His defining characteristics are an iron determination and his will to win, so for him to give up the fight suggests he and his legal bods know there was no way he could win.

A full admission could even do him some good. It was pretty much an open secret he was bent as arseholes and the vast majority of people outside of hardcore pedal heads didn't seem to much care. Clean breast of it and it's the third act: clean Lance rebuilds his career/rep.

Spikey

I think the way the conversation has changed in the media and etc following the USADA report being released says a lot, from a beyond reasonable doubt level anyway.

Oprah producer's have been in contact with David Walsh and others, which is I guess a positive thing.

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST
Oprah Winfrey is trying to get up to speed on LA. Her producer Jenna Kostelnik has spoken with Kathy LeMond, Betsy Andreu and yours truly.

Oprah producer Jenna said she wanted to know the questions we would ask LA. It seemed a laudable attempt to become better informed.

https://twitter.com/DavidWalshST

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think the way the conversation has changed in the media and etc following the USADA report being released says a lot, from a beyond reasonable doubt level anyway.

Oprah producer's have been in contact with David Walsh and others, which is I guess a positive thing.

Oprah Winfrey is trying to get up to speed on LA. Her producer Jenna Kostelnik has spoken with Kathy LeMond, Betsy Andreu and yours truly.

Oprah producer Jenna said she wanted to know the questions we would ask LA. It seemed a laudable attempt to become better informed.

https://twitter.com/DavidWalshST
Should just let Andreu do the interview. I'd watch that.

Spikey

walsh reveals something i didn't know about

If LA claims punishment disproportionate to crime, Oprah must remind him he turned down deal: confess, keep 5 tours and accept short ban.

If LA had confessed USADA would have used Statute of Limitation to allow him to keep first five Tours. How he must rue that decision now!