• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really into the road cycling/tours but love it at Olympics. Will be a massive achievement if Wiggins wins it. He obviously is favourite now but you can't take anything for granted in sport.

Scary thing is that in a few weeks time him and Cavendish will be looking for Olympic gold and be one of the favourites. Some fitness involved in these guys, probably the fittest sports stars in the world.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really into the road cycling/tours but love it at Olympics. Will be a massive achievement if Wiggins wins it. He obviously is favourite now but you can't take anything for granted in sport.

Scary thing is that in a few weeks time him and Cavendish will be looking for Olympic gold and be one of the favourites. Some fitness involved in these guys, probably the fittest sports stars in the world.
A few years ago, a study was performed by the AIS iirc into relative fitness levels of athletes in different sports and professional cyclists ranked 2nd and were well above those below them

In first place, and literally off the richter scale by comparison, were world championship level boxers - not surprising when you consider that boxing requires endurance, explosive power, works every part of the body and requires the ability to perform whilsthaving some guy trying to beat the **** out of you

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I agree with the point that both of them are totally incredible atheletes, but it's a totally different type of fitness that you can't really compare. Stick each of them in the other's sport and I doubt they'd last 5 seconds fitness wise.

benchmark00

I agree with the point that both of them are totally incredible atheletes, but it's a totally different type of fitness that you can't really compare. Stick each of them in the other's sport and I doubt they'd last 5 seconds fitness wise.
Yeah exactly. If that study really did exist, it's the most ridiculous thing of all time. There are so many different types of fitness.

Think it's pretty commonly accepted that cyclists have a lower resting heart rate than most other types of athletes though.

social

Boxers would last (obviously not at the pace) as they train for endurance and leg strength is focused upon because it is integral to punching power

Cyclists would be no hope in boxing

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Boxers would last (obviously not at the pace) as they train for endurance and leg strength is focused upon because it is integral to punching power

Cyclists would be no hope in boxing
Lol the type of leg strength require in boxing and that required in cycling is fundamentally different. See what happens when you stick ****ing Mike Tyson on a stage of any pro race. He'd probably last about a mile.

social

Lol the type of leg strength require in boxing and that required in cycling is fundamentally different. See what happens when you stick ****ing Mike Tyson on a stage of any pro race. He'd probably last about a mile.
Despite the fact that most world-class boxers run up to 10 miles every morning, Tyson wouldnt be a distance athlete for sure

But then again, neither is Mark "water boy on anything other than dead flat" Cavendish

However, look at Tyson as a youngster - an incredibly explosive athlete with great endurance

Saying he couldnt last a mile is just nonsense

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Running bears zero resemblance to cycling. Elite cyclists are notoriously useless at running, The level of conditioning required to compete on a remotely similar level to a professional cyclist is absolutely incredible and is only gained by doing one thing; cycling for 100s and 100s of miles. You can run as much as you like, you would still be fairly useless at cycling because of the muscles involved.

Obviously nonsense about Cavendish as well. He's completed several grand tours which are just about the most physically demanding professional activity there is, with regards to endurance, in respectable times. Just because you aren't challenging for the GC doesn't mean that you don't have to have a superhuman level of endurance to finish a grand tour.

Whatever you say, the type of endurance needed for Tyson over a 12 round in less than an hour boxing match is so obviously different to cycling 3000km in 3 weeks that I can't seriously believe I'm having this argument with someone. It's so painfully clear.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to put down boxers in any way, just making the point that it's a really ****ing stupid comparison to make because the sports are so massively different.

Burgey

Yeah, the Croc's resting heart rate was something in the thirties bpm iirc. Insane.