• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF, I'd been watching the match and I was thinking the same thing, wish I'd cashed out my bet though, but just looked like "another" of those nights for the arse.
I was ruing not putting money on the draw up until that moment.

grecian

Yeah, I know I get tedious on this subject, but how the **** under the rules as they are isn't this a straight red

and the ref, practically laughing as he's giving good old scholesy a yellow.

Scaly piscine

Yeah, I know I get tedious on this subject, but how the **** under the rules as they are isn't this a straight red

and the ref, practically laughing as he's giving good old scholesy a yellow.
It wasn't a red card challenge. He knew what he was doing, was late but made sure to take him out with the trailing leg.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Suarez admits to diving

From The Super, Soaraway

Everyone's favourite comedy racist said:
I'm accused of cheating here. People say I throw myself all the time inside the box.

They said that when we played against Stoke, for instance, and in that case they were right. I invented a foul because we were drawing and I wanted to win.
On page 5: Ursine mammal admits to occasionally evacuting bowels in proximity to wooded areas.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
What actually is the problem with the Scholes tackle exactly other than it just being a **** tackle? From a danger point of view it's not high and it's not two footed.

With regards to jumping in I actually think it's pretty much as close to not jumping in as it's possible to get. Not sure I've ever seen a tackle on slow-mo that didn't look like the tackler was jumping in. There might be a selection bias there as it's only the bad tackles you see in slow-mo, but I've never understood how you're supposed to simultaneously not leave the ground at all whilst keeping studs down.

grecian

What actually is the problem with the Scholes tackle exactly other than it just being a **** tackle? From a danger point of view it's not high and it's not two footed.

With regards to jumping in I actually think it's pretty much as close to not jumping in as it's possible to get. Not sure I've ever seen a tackle on slow-mo that didn't look like the tackler was jumping in. There might be a selection bias there as it's only the bad tackles you see in slow-mo, but I've never understood how you're supposed to simultaneously not leave the ground at all whilst keeping studs down.
It's uncontrolled, and at the moment of impact it is high, not on the ground, he onl;y grounds after. All this two-footed twaddle and it having to be particularly high is silly, it's excessive IMHO. Could easily have broken an ankle and had no chance of getting the ball. It's also later than this Mayan apocalypse we were promised.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not like we pulled the two-footed/studs-up/excessively high criteria out of our arse though, that's how the law is interpreted these days. If you're trying to say that Scholes gets special treatment then it's nonsense because no one else would have been sent off for a foul like that either.

But if your point is that the law makes it too easy to take someone's legs out and affect his performance by making him fear for his safety then yeah I agree. The law wasn't designed for such a professional era. Maybe a yellow used to be useful as a "calm down, less of that sort of thing" gesture but now it's just a "one free reducer attempt" or "stop-a-promising-counter-for-free" card. When Scholes finishes a game without a booking he probably thinks of it as a waste.

I hate how pundits in this country always talk about how it's "good to see the ref keep his cards in his pocket" when they let someone off a clear booking purely because it happened in the first ten minutes. Having a De Jong or a Lucas get booked early on is often the best thing that can happen for the game as a spectacle.