• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I started reading it until it became far too technical for me.

There is, however, a difference between post-match interview moans and the verbal assaults on officials that Ferguson and Pullis have dished out lately. As things stand, the former is a far more serious offence than the latter, which strikes me as odd.
I agree but the problem with dealing with on-pitch rants is that we don't usually know what was said.

Would love it if he was questioned and had to come up with something harmless to avoid a fine. We need more of the Crystal Palace fan that claimed Cantona kicked him for shouting "Off you go Eric, it's an early bath for you!"

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I agree but the problem with dealing with on-pitch rants is that we don't usually know what was said.

Would love it if he was questioned and had to come up with something harmless to avoid a fine. We need more of the Crystal Palace fan that claimed Cantona kicked him for shouting "Off you go Eric, it's an early bath for you!"
:laugh:
Yup, he was a nasty piece of work, no mistake. I think he was in the news relatively recently for causing problems at a kids' game where his lad was playing.

And you're right up to a point about not knowing what was said, but if the FA was prepared to make a judgement based on what looks like's going on, then at least it would cause these managers to think about whether it's worth saying anything in the heat of the moment. I know there's an element of subjectivity with that, but it's one of those areas where I'm not bothered about 100% consistency if we at least raised the possibility of the culprits getting in serious trouble.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ha, weirdly enough, coaches whinging about refs is the current hot potato in English union circles. Leicester Tigers' coach Dick ****erill rejoices in the nickname "Sir Alex", in fact.

Brian Moore in The Torygraph.
Brian Moore in complaining about scrums shocker. Doesn't stop his being right, though

Back on thread topic, if Jimmy Keohane stays fit this season we are going up. Sercombe's injury could be the best thing that's happened to us.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brendan Rogers:

If you look at one-off games, we were better than Manchester United at Anfield, even with 10 men, we should have beaten Man City, and we drew at Chelsea.

We are as good as any team in the league. But the difference between us and United is consistency and that bit of depth, not quality

Perhaps he would like to turn those arguments around with regards to some of the bottom dwellers his mob have lost/drawn with?

Whilst I agree in a way, Liverpool over the past decade or so have been able to raise their game for the big boys, they still haven't really been equals with the top sides and those top sides have far bigger games than playing Liverpool. Playing Manure in the league is typically Liverpool's biggest game of the season.

cpr

International Coach
Take that win over the scouse.

Great call by Dean on the pen/red there, awful pen though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Take that win over the scouse.

Great call by Dean on the pen/red there, awful pen though.
It is a good call, as long as every other ref does the same. Shirt-pulling and holding is a blight on the modern game, worse than diving, by a mile.

Learn to defend properly ****s.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is a good call, as long as every other ref does the same. Shirt-pulling and holding is a blight on the modern game, worse than diving, by a mile.

Completely agree, it really pissed me off that after the Fellaini/Shawcross thing that no-one picked up on the fact that Everton were denied 3 stonewall penalties.

anthonyandbrown

Cricket Spectator
Relegation

I think its fair to say its a 2 maybe 3 horse race if the 2 manchester teams dont mess up!

But who do you think will be relegated?

I think
Southampton
Aston Villa
Reading

I think Harry will work his magic and get QPR out of trouble - great last 2 results for them.

cpr

International Coach

Yeah, the argument here was 'Well it happens all the time at corners'.

The difference being corners are a crowded area, so hidden more. This one was blatent in front of the ref

Couldn't be bothered sticking for the 2nd half, brother in laws father is a City fan, and he's a nightmare to watch a match with, so missed the Kompany red... Likely to get overturned?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I'm not even bothered whether the refs are consistent. Any sign of willingness to deal with.shirt-pulling and holding is progress. If that upsets the ones who are pulled up for it, then so much the better. All we're asking them to do is apply the rules of the game, isn't it? And yes, it's a far bigger problem than diving in my book too.

Uppercut

Yeah, the argument here was 'Well it happens all the time at corners'.
It doesn't even though. You get a bit of subtle shirt-holding and impeding but you don't often get players rugby-tackling someone who's about to score.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Enjoyed the United-Liverpool game, and thought it was a fair result. Incredible how they manage to find a way to win each week.

Loved Sturridge.

Uppercut

I think its fair to say its a 2 maybe 3 horse race if the 2 manchester teams dont mess up!

But who do you think will be relegated?

I think
Southampton
Aston Villa
Reading

I think Harry will work his magic and get QPR out of trouble - great last 2 results for them.
They might fade as the season goes on but Southampton are a decent enough side. Reading look doomed, Villa are painfully dire and if QPR do get it together I fear Wigan's time finally may have come.

Uppercut

Enjoyed the United-Liverpool game, and thought it was a fair result. Incredible how they manage to find a way to win each week.

Loved Sturridge.
Yeah we should have been out of sight at half time but were a bit lucky to get the win at the end, Sturridge missed a few pretty good chances. Carrick was incredible first half but the turning point was when Gerrard started pushing onto him and giving him no time.

Not sure whether to credit Rodgers for his half-time changes or criticise him for getting it wrong at the start.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No reason why you can't do both. But in the end admitting you got it wrong is a crucial part of management.

I don't particularly rate Rodgers, but.