• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

cpr

International Coach
Not there anymore, Guessing it'd be rubbish.

So long as he and Jonny Evans don't go on the (alleged) pull together, he'll be fine

In truth, I'm not too fussed over van Persie. Whilst I think he's a fine striker, and had a great season, I don't think he'd bring anything new to the table. I don't think he'd shake up how we play, or give us a different approach when we are struggling.

I'm gonna get mullered for this, but if Carroll's available, I'd like Fergie to take a punt. He's had a dreadful time at Anfield, but deep down I do believe he has the raw ability to become a pretty good player. He's good in the air, decent on the deck, can run at a defence, muscle them out, drop back and help out a defence, stay up as a target man.
At Newcastle he was showing the makings of a good 'classic no 9', though its been stripped at Anfield. I reckon Fergie could coax out the Carroll of before, and more importantly he'd offer a different dimension to our 3 small strikers in Rooney/Hernandez/Welbeck. None of them are particularly good in the air (Rooney can hold his own I suppose), and were a team that do like to get down the flanks and put in a good ball, especially Valencia from the by-line. Also whenever we've struggled to break down a game, we've tended to revert to a wasteful plan B of hoof it from the halfway line - something thats not worked since Ruud.

There, i've said it, I'd rather have Carroll than RVP. Expect me to choke violently on those in 9 months.

cpr

International Coach
Maybe, but watch us when were next struggling against a team, Rio walks it to the halfway line, then launches a pass Gerrard would call Hollywood, to bounce off Nani's head and go out for a goal kick every time. So infuriating we don't have an effective plan B and can be shut out too easily against a composed defence

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And Robin not on the pre-season tour. Guess that's that then.

Well, would be madness not to cash in now, not gonna help team spirit having your ex-captain hanging around like a bad smell, still awhile of the transfer window left.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, not exactly like it's come out of the blue. Will see how much can be fetched for him now I suppose. Apparently Utd's first offer has been rebuffed.

Would be strange to see him go to Utd though, as I honestly think Arsenal have as good a chance of winning the Premiership next year as Utd do. Though that is subject to change depending on the transfer activity of both sides between now and the end of the window.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, not exactly like it's come out of the blue. Will see how much can be fetched for him now I suppose. Apparently Utd's first offer has been rebuffed.

Would be strange to see him go to Utd though, as I honestly think Arsenal have as good a chance of winning the Premiership next year as Utd do. Though that is subject to change depending on the transfer activity of both sides between now and the end of the window.
Seriously? What do you see that has happened to overturn the 20 point gap between the two sides last year?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just think that Utd aren' actually that good and Arsenal shouldn't have such a terrible start this time around and on the whole do better. Obviously football is not played on paper, but if one is to compare the squads of the two sides, I don't really see any areas where one side is a great deal better than the other. But having said that, I don't think either of them will win it. In actual fact I expect Chelsea will be the most capable of overhauling City. Like I say though, these views are subject to whatever happens in terms of transfers over the next month or so.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, though I'd probably say that United couldn't possibly get ****ed as hard by injuries as they did last year. Agree with you about Chelsea, they've made a real statement though it will be interesting to see how they accommodate/rotate Mata, Hazard, Marin and probably Oscar. You're right though, with a month still to go it's all pretty pointless conjecture at the moment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What's worrying me most at the moment is the lack of movement on the Arshavin, Bendtner and Squillaci transfer front. Desperate to never see any of them ever again if possible, especially playing fo Arsenal.

cpr

International Coach
A £15m cheeky bid for RVP, fair enough, wont say no at that price, don't think its worth blowing £25m+ on him for the sake of it though.

Remember saying all this about Dwight Yorke in 1998.............

Am in work tomorrow, shall keep an eye out for a rapey Dutchman at the Lowry hotel and let you know.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if all the clubs refuse to budge over £15m then Arsenal have to take it. Hope they don't up their bids and RVP just chooses who he wants to join.

Uppercut

A £15m cheeky bid for RVP, fair enough, wont say no at that price, don't think its worth blowing £25m+ on him for the sake of it though.

Remember saying all this about Dwight Yorke in 1998.............

Am in work tomorrow, shall keep an eye out for a rapey Dutchman at the Lowry hotel and let you know.
Oh yeah I definitely have my doubts about spending big on a 29 year old forward. But jesus, you'd rather have Carroll? You're thinking way too hard. Any fool can see RVP is awesome and Carroll is ****e.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I see Modric is having a moan. Footballers are such unlikeable pricks.

It won't happen, but for once I'd love to see a club put their foot down and refuse to sell. Let him rot in the reserves for the four years he has left on his contract, it'd ruin his career.

Last edited:

Uppercut

It's a really strange labour market. Is there anywhere else that other companies pay massive "transfer fees" for rival workers? Who in their right mind would sign a seven-year contract with their employer anywhere else?