• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
David Luiz and Terry ahead of Pepe.
Eriksen (talent no doubt) ahead of Modric.
The order of Dembele, Ben Arfa, Nasri, Kagawa, Sneijder amusing, especially as they're consecutive.
Deary me.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, it's a bit of a strange one. What's funny is that in another article they boast about how their football writers are the best in the world, and that they have an extensive global knowledge. It is, therefore, interesting that Sneijder comes in behind a load of players who play in the Premiership.

Will be interesting to see where players like Rooney rank on this list. My guess would be in the top 10, quite erroneously.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Sneijder's ranking is a sign that they actually watch European football rather than just ranking people on reputation. He's been struggling to get into a third-tier Inter side for nearly three years.

Don't know what they're smoking putting Pepe below Luiz, though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think Sneijder's ranking is a sign that they actually watch European football rather than just ranking people on reputation. He's been struggling to get into a third-tier Inter side for nearly three years.

Don't know what they're smoking putting Pepe below Luiz, though.
Isn't the reason he's hardly been picked this season because of a legal wrangle over him refusing to take a pay cut though?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe, but unless you totally don't subscribe to the "form is temporary, class is permanent" ethos, I think you'd be hard pressed to make out a case for these four being ranked ahead of him.

Uppercut

Maybe, but unless you totally don't subscribe to the "form is temporary, class is permanent" ethos, I think you'd be hard pressed to make out a case for these four being ranked ahead of him.
Don't think that cliché makes any sense at all, really. In any case, Sneijder's had more poor seasons in his career than good ones.

I haven't seen that much of him, but from what his managers have been saying I think it's more to do with the side not being able to carry his limitations than a loss of form. I'd definitely rather United signed Dembele and probably rather have Ben Arfa or Kagawa too. They're just so much more, umm... dynamic. Sneijder's a bit of a luxury player.

Of course if you take into account achievements, style etc. then yes, Sneijder should be much higher. But I think his past couple of seasons have been disappointing enough to make his ranking reasonable.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, it's a bit of a strange one. What's funny is that in another article they boast about how their football writers are the best in the world, and that they have an extensive global knowledge. It is, therefore, interesting that Sneijder comes in behind a load of players who play in the Premiership.
Sneijder being pish for the best part of 3 years probably plays quite a significant part in that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Don't think that cliché makes any sense at all, really. In any case, Sneijder's had more poor seasons in his career than good ones.

I haven't seen that much of him, but from what his managers have been saying I think it's more to do with the side not being able to carry his limitations than a loss of form. I'd definitely rather United signed Dembele and probably rather have Ben Arfa or Kagawa too. They're just so much more, umm... dynamic. Sneijder's a bit of a luxury player.

Of course if you take into account achievements, style etc. then yes, Sneijder should be much higher. But I think his past couple of seasons have been disappointing enough to make his ranking reasonable.
United should sign Toni Kroos. I'm going to keep banging this drum until they actually approach Bayern for him.

Uppercut

I'd love it if we signed him but I can't think of one good reason why he'd come. Might as well say Rangers should sign Messi.

cpr

International Coach
Only issue with that is he's German. We've never had a first team German player. Couple of youth prospects (Zieler the last one), but thats about it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Come on Bees, top at Christmas please.

On the Guardian thing, is worth remembering that the voting is done how the greateast cricketers thing was done on CW, so obviously someone loves David Luiz, as they do Mario Balotelli who is 67th for reasons I do not really understand.