• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Respect for the filtering and point taken.

Cracking game this. Think the fact Liverpool threw it away backs up my point that they don't have the solidity to play so openly. Rodgers needs to be more pragmatic.

Brumby's tip of him being out by season end still looking good value.
I think they'll stick with him into next season, they've been about as poor as they're likely to get already this season and there's still little to no anti-Rodgers backlash from the fans.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure why you'd use Neal and Neville as examples, both the best right back in England of their time.
Agreed about Gary Neville, who I always thought was OK. Possibly our best right-back since I started watching the game. I'm less sure about Neal, whose being skinned by Graziani of all people in the 1980 Euros was only one of a series of ****-ups that he contributed at vital times. I thought Anderson was better. Ditto Mick Mills, who I think eventually replaced Neal at the 1982 WC having played for years as a right-footed left back.

It's one of those weird things that we've had a string of mediocre right-backs (as above plus Gary Stevens, Danny Mills et al) mostly at the same time as far superior left-backs. And yet we have barely produced a decent left-sided midfielder worthy of the name.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think they'll stick with him into next season, they've been about as poor as they're likely to get already this season and there's still little to no anti-Rodgers backlash from the fans.
As things stand, yes. But if Saurez gets a long-term injury the goals will completely dry up and results will only go one way. In those circumstances, Rodgers could find himself under more pressure than we've seen so far. Especially if Andy Carroll ever manages to find the net for his current employers.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's how they work together that always impresses me. Get so many goals from the well-organised pressure they put on defenders that aren't used to dealing with it.

Would definitely wait til February and see if they've had any big injuries before putting money on them, though. Odds won't change much so might as well.
Can't believe Dortmund only paid €17m for Reus. He was outstanding for Monchengladbach last season.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not sure why you'd use Neal and Neville as examples, both the best right back in England of their time.

Steve Nicol and Wes Brown probably better.
Not knocking either player per se, but neither's the footballer in skill terms of the chaps I mentioned.

wpd's point about Comrade Gary is a good one; circa Euro 96 he really did look like the was the kind of defensively solid, overlapping runner we'd been looking for in an RB for so long. I don't know what happened after that, but the attacking side of his game largely disappeared afterwards.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hartson reckons O'Neill should be the United manager after Ferguson, must say couldn't agree more:ph34r:

duffer

Oh dear, 9th goal conceded in the first 15 minutes after half time. Fergie's team talks not working?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Could kiss Pothas right now.

Minimum 3 point lead tonight would see me sleeping soundly. That and the bottle of rum on the side in the kitchen.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WAG.

Love how he's got a reputation as a terrible tackler when his propensity for giving away free kicks in safe areas with intimidating challenges is actually quite useful. He knows it too.

cpr

International Coach
Scholes tackles arn't that dangerous. He never connects with the studs, nor goes smashing into their ankles - more like traps their (well padded) calf between his knees and gently brings them down in a safe enviroment (no ball nearby for them to land on and hurt themselves for example).

Such a gentleman fouler

grecian

Yeah lovely shouldn't survive a match nowadays, wouldn't if was named anyone but Paul Scholes.