• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say Michael Owen's Movember effort (currently viewable on SS2) is rather splendid. Gone for the full-on Zapata handlebar effort.

Mancini out then?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm tempted to stick a fiver on Dortmund as an outside bet for the Champions League.

Reus, Gotze and Lewandowski is a ludicrously good front 3.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Di Matteo does not seem a self-delusional sort either; he knew that they never really wanted him. In less than two year has gone from being a manager fired by West Brom to a Champions League winner with a much larger bank balance.
Yeah, I doubt whether he's bothered at all. He knew what he was getting into, and he's come out of it in a far stronger position than he was 12 months ago. His non-selection of Torres in Turin was almost a final 'FU' at Abramovich along the lines of he might as well go on his terms rather than anyone else's.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm tempted to stick a fiver on Dortmund as an outside bet for the Champions League.

Reus, Gotze and Lewandowski is a ludicrously good front 3.
It's how they work together that always impresses me. Get so many goals from the well-organised pressure they put on defenders that aren't used to dealing with it.

Would definitely wait til February and see if they've had any big injuries before putting money on them, though. Odds won't change much so might as well.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit of a throwback from Joe Cole there.
:wub:

I do love how all the 'pool fans slag him off for being knackered, for leanihg on his knees. He's always done that, just his way of taken a breather. Have these people watched any other team in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, they haven't.

And yeah, I'm a fan. Seem to remember drunkenly raging about him not being brought on against Algeria in the 2010 WC. Not that he he was in any state to make a difference in that tournament, fitness wise, but.

Under-appreciated player in general, IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Class performance from the little man.

Gotta say, Liverpool's attacking play has looked impressive. Don't seem solid enough for the counter attacking style to work against better sides though which I suppose explains their mediocre leagues position.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Joe Cole's uber ****erneeishness wound/winds a few people up the wrong way.

Plus we have, as a football watching nation, an inbuilt mistrust of skillful players, especially if they sometimes look a little lazy (& Joe has the kind of physique that gains weight easily too). Another to join the ranks of Hoddle, Waddle, B*rnes, Le Tiss, etc

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Respect for the filtering and point taken.

Cracking game this. Think the fact Liverpool threw it away backs up my point that they don't have the solidity to play so openly. Rodgers needs to be more pragmatic.

Brumby's tip of him being out by season end still looking good value.

Eds

International Debutant
I think the owners realising that actually they ****ed up during the transfer window will give him a few extra months even if he's under extreme pressure.

Meanwhile, typical Liverpool. Yawn.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Think Joe Cole's uber ****erneeishness wound/winds a few people up the wrong way.

Plus we have, as a football watching nation, an inbuilt mistrust of skillful players, especially if they sometimes look a little lazy (& Joe has the kind of physique that gains weight easily too). Another to join the ranks of Hoddle, Waddle, B*rnes, Le Tiss, etc
Not fit to lace their boots imo. That being said, he has never been the sort of player to function in a good old 4-4-2 formation, and he was certainly never suited to playing on the left of midfield as he did for a while at international level. Perhaps slightly before his time - I think he'd have done better in the sort of formations we routinely see in the EPL nowadays,

grecian

Not fit to lace their boots imo. That being said, he has never been the sort of player to function in a good old 4-4-2 formation, and he was certainly never suited to playing on the left of midfield as he did for a while at international level. Perhaps slightly before his time - I think he'd have done better in the sort of formations we routinely see in the EPL nowadays,
Not so sure myself, but it doesn't really matter, I think the point is they were all Distrusted by a certain section of fans ad press.

Cole a much better England player than Barnes, but then not hard. He also would have won more English Titles than the other three put together, but again not arduous.

Actually just checked he's won more than all of them put together, a bit of a case of Lies, damn lies and Statistics though.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not so sure myself, but it doesn't really matter, I think the point is they were all Distrusted by a certain section of fans ad press.

Cole a much better England player than Barnes, but then not hard. He also would have won more English Titles than the other three put together, but again not arduous.

Actually just checked he's won more than all of them put together, a bit of a case of Lies, damn lies and Statistics though.
I think so (your last point). Especially when you consider how many titles Phil Neal won.

grecian

Not sure why you'd use Neal and Neville as examples, both the best right back in England of their time.

Steve Nicol and Wes Brown probably better.