• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a smeller from the ref, clear contact there.

Don't really like this clampdown on diving, makes game-changing decisions out of molehills.
yeah and I swear that half the time when they do book someone for diving they get it wrong.

Im all for banning players when they feign injury and the like but the sort of situation we saw today is so much more difficult to call.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If they want to clamp down it has to be retrospective action. Otherwise they'll damage games like they did today.

I'd rather they just did nothing because diving is mostly just pretty funny but I'm in a pretty small minority.

Uppercut

Seeing it again, Torres's first yellow looks a lot like a red. Bit of a De Jong.

Actually I'm not sure. But both the SS pundits think it's a red.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Seeing it again, Torres's first yellow looks a lot like a red. Bit of a De Jong.

I thought at the time he was pretty lucky to stay on, but it was probably 50/50 between a red and a yellow.

Makes his eventual red fractionally more legit though. :ph34r:

Eds

International Debutant

Yeah, definitely a red for mine. As Neville said, though, that just means the ref's got both Torres decisions wrong.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Breaking news: Chelsea have made a formal complaint, accusing referee Martin Clattenburg of using inappropriate language to two of their players.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Given how much abuse the refs take from the players, my first instinct is to side with Clattenberg. It's like one or two of the brats in my workplace who spend their lives giving their teachers absolute hell and then whine like crazy when said teacher gives them anything less than complete 'respect'. That being said, if it was racial then he'll need to go. Obviously.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given how much abuse the refs take from the players, my first instinct is to side with Clattenberg. It's like one or two of the brats in my workplace who spend their lives giving their teachers absolute hell and then whine like crazy when said teacher gives them anything less than complete 'respect'. That being said, if it was racial then he'll need to go. Obviously.
Have to say I do have some sympathy with him for the Torres sending off too; on replay there looked to be some contact, but the Spaniard did go for the full-on dying swan act so, frankly, he was asking for trouble.

But yeah, anything racial is a massive no-no, obvz. End of his career I'd guess.

Uppercut

Have to say I do have some sympathy with him for the Torres sending off too; on replay there looked to be some contact, but the Spaniard did go for the full-on dying swan act so, frankly, he was asking for trouble.
And you know when you get a silly booking that you're only one small refereeing error away from seeing red. Valencia was harshly booked for diving too, but it's already been forgotten because he hadn't fly-kicked anyone already that day. It was Torres's own stupidity that turned a minor bad decision into a game-decider.

Not that it excuses Clattenburg's prank-refereeing but I definitely have no sympathy for Torres. Only laughter.

But yeah, anything racial is a massive no-no, obvz. End of his career I'd guess.
If it is racial then yeah, that'll be it. I'd be surprised if it was though, it would be really bizarre for him to start throwing n-words around in the current context given that he's mic'd up to three other officials.

If it's for swearing I would have to agree with wpdavid. With the abuse we (inexplicably) let referees take from footballers every week you'd need to be a special kind of **** to cry to the FA when one of them cracks and tells them where to go.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If it's for swearing I would have to agree with wpdavid. With the abuse we (inexplicably) let referees take from footballers every week you'd need to be a special kind of **** to cry to the FA when one of them cracks and tells them where to go.
What do the rules say about this nowadays? I always thought that referees were entitled to wave a card at them for dissent / downright abuse but just don't have the balls to do it. Is that still the case?

cpr

International Coach
Apparently the inappropriate remark Clattenburg made was to refer to Torres as a 'Striker'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whatever it was, the coppers are now investigating following an official complaint.

That'll doubtless hold the FA's own processes up for a year or so. &, following the Captain Racist precedent, one assumes Clattenburg will still be able to officiate whilst under investigation...

Have actually heard one or two rumours knocking about this is a bit of tit-for-tat by the Chavs, as they still have a monk on about the way Terry was treated. Only rumours, like I said, but does make you wonder.

Last edited: