• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gotta say, as a team we look lethal on the counter this season. Just need more attacking firepower in front of goal although Giroud looking better every game might solve that. Podolski and Cazorla have really hit the ground running though. Great signings.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah they're a lot more direct this season, much more like the '04 side. Kinda like a move from Barca-style to Madrid-style. The flip side is you look pretty ineffective against deep defences like Stoke, Sunderland, and in the second half against Citeh (although you did manage to nick one that day). That's where you miss RVP pulling goals out his arse.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't realise Newcastle have signed a deal to be sponsored by Wonga. They keep finding ways of scraping the barrel, you'd have thought it would have a big hole in the bottom of it by now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Diving: it's all them dirty foreigners' faults sez Michael Owen.

It's classic, irony-free moral relativism from Young Michael, who admits he went down a wee bit easily versus the Argies in 98: :laughing:

Micky Owen said:
I was running flat out, got a nudge, went down. Could I have stayed up? Yeah, probably.

Four years later I got a penalty, again against Argentina, and again I could have stayed on my feet.

It's a very difficult subject to talk about, especially to people who haven't played the game, because there is a major skill in trying to outwit an opponent. It's a skill to get someone one-on-one or isolated. No-one is for blatantly diving, but there is a part of a striker, of anyone, that actually tries to entice the leg to come out to try to win the penalty.

It's a skill that's been done for years and years, and I don't think things like that will ever leave the game.

That's not to say diving won't, because I'm totally against diving.
So going down when you could've stayed up isn't diving now? My word.

L Trumper

State Regular
Diving: it's all them dirty foreigners' faults sez Michael Owen.

It's classic, irony-free moral relativism from Young Michael, who admits he went down a wee bit easily versus the Argies in 98: :laughing:

So going down when you could've stayed up isn't diving now? My word.
I think he is actually ok with Diving, but simply cannot come out and say it, so just tiptoeing around the matter. At least he is admitting it is also skill that can be practiced.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Didn't realise Newcastle have signed a deal to be sponsored by Wonga. They keep finding ways of scraping the barrel, you'd have thought it would have a big hole in the bottom of it by now.
Pardew's told players to forget all about the new sponsorship deal with Wonga.com.

He said they should just get out on the pitch and give it 4107%.

flibbertyjibber

My shower on tv today, bound to lose. Wish we would sign a flaming forward, not like we haven't had long enough to do it.:@

flibbertyjibber

Well we won thanks to our Olympians brother having a blinder. Always good to beat the gypos. Just get a forward please GT.