Page 49 of 343 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 735 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

  1. #721
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,048
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    So if little Burnley could see he was all mouth and no trousers, why can't other clubs?
    To be fair, I can see why he was given the job at Porto. Understandable that a club playing in a league which probably can't attract the best coaches would take a punt on a homegrown up and coming manager, particularly if someone like Mourinho put in a good word for him or something, or he had some other connections remaining at Porto. Can even understand why Chelsea took him on as well. May have been a naive choice, but his record - albeit only a one season record - was undoubtedly impressive, so I can see why they thought he might be worth a go.

    Spurs hiring him is very perculiar though. Seems pretty foolish to me, but I'm all for Spurs shooting themselves in the foot. I just hope his reign continues long enough to generate plenty of amusement.

  2. #722
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,048
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Nah, he's one of the best mids when he plays, you'd still rather have a slightly lesser player who can play 50 games. Just the practicalities of someone that age in t'modern game.
    Yeah, this is the crux of the matter for me. The most telling thing for mine, is that whenever people speak positively about a Man Utd midfield performance, it's all about Scholes. It seems most of the time nobody else ever does enough to get a mention. I suppose that's all well and good if you're winning regularly, but fantastic player or no, there's only so much more mileage that can be got out of Scholes, and someone's got to take on the mantle sooner or later.

    Having said that, Kagawa really ought to change that. If he can keep up his positive start I see no reason why he couldn't serve as a long term replacement.

  3. #723
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,048
    Abject display from Reading so far. Ian Harte looks well past it.

  4. #724
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah, this is the crux of the matter for me. The most telling thing for mine, is that whenever people speak positively about a Man Utd midfield performance, it's all about Scholes. It seems most of the time nobody else ever does enough to get a mention. I suppose that's all well and good if you're winning regularly, but fantastic player or no, there's only so much more mileage that can be got out of Scholes, and someone's got to take on the mantle sooner or later.

    Having said that, Kagawa really ought to change that. If he can keep up his positive start I see no reason why he couldn't serve as a long term replacement.
    Hmm Kagawa's been playing as a number ten, looks like he'll replace Rooney. Cleverly is the potential replacement but atm he (like everyone who isn't Pirlo or Alonso) lacks Scholes's range of passing and can't get our wingers into the game the way Scholes does.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.


  5. #725
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    (like everyone who isn't Pirlo or Alonso)



  6. #726
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,048
    So that's Reading joining Southampton in the "Relegation Fodder" category then. Need to be getting something from these sorts of games to have a chance of staying up, but they've not been in it at all. Really disappointing.

  7. #727
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,567
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    To be fair, I can see why he was given the job at Porto. Understandable that a club playing in a league which probably can't attract the best coaches would take a punt on a homegrown up and coming manager, particularly if someone like Mourinho put in a good word for him or something, or he had some other connections remaining at Porto. Can even understand why Chelsea took him on as well. May have been a naive choice, but his record - albeit only a one season record - was undoubtedly impressive, so I can see why they thought he might be worth a go.

    Spurs hiring him is very perculiar though. Seems pretty foolish to me, but I'm all for Spurs shooting themselves in the foot. I just hope his reign continues long enough to generate plenty of amusement.
    This but only in part

    Looking back at last season, it's painfully obvious he was on a hiding to nothing as some of the senior players did their bit to sabotage him once it became obvious that he wanted change/not up for it, etc.

    I find it more than a touch ironic that some of these very same players (e.g. Lampard) are now copping it in the neck from their own fans

    Anyway, not being English, I dont really get the Spurs hate

    At least their owner made his money honestly unlike many of the other scumbags and silver spooners that have shareholdings in teams around the country
    Last edited by social; 16-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.

  8. #728
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,048
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    This but only in part

    Looking back at last season, it's painfully obvious he was on a hiding to nothing as some of the senior players did their bit to sabotage him once it became obvious that he wanted change/not up for it, etc.

    I find it more than a touch ironic that some of these very same players (e.g. Lampard) are now copping it in the neck from their own fans

    Anyway, not being English, I dont really get the Spurs hate

    At least their owner made his money honestly unlike many of the other scumbags and silver spooners that have shareholdings in teams around the country
    Be that as it may, it's his job as manager to deal with the egos of the players. Certainly, it seems that certain players were not best pleased with the way he did things, but it sounds as if when this was made clear he told them it was his way or the highway. Not exactly the wisest way to go about things.

    The Spurs hate is largely down to me being an Arsenal fan, but also because their fans are incredibly annoying whingers. Their chairman is also widely regarded as being a **** as well, not to mention some of their coaching/playing staff over the years.

  9. #729
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Heh, the guy's an absolute machine but he's not consistently pinging 60+ yard passes onto wingers' chests. I honestly think they're the only three in the world that can do it, and it makes such a massive difference to how well United's system works. I think Fergie signing Kagawa and going to 4-2-3-1 is purely because the current system will have a horrible Scholes-shaped gap that no one can fill, like when Liverpool lost Alonso.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 16-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.

  10. #730
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Heh, the guy's an absolute machine but he's not consistently pinging 60+ yard passes onto wingers' chests. I honestly think they're the only three in the world that can do it, and it makes such a massive difference to how well United's system works. I think Fergie signing Kagawa and going to 4-2-3-1 is purely because the current system will have a horrible Scholes-shaped gap that no one can fill, like when Liverpool lost Alonso.
    From what I remember of Arteta from watching him 10 years ago (**** me) he's more comparable in style to Xavi. Him and Ferguson were a great pairing, and he had Mols and de Boer in front of him to hit. What a team.

  11. #731
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,889
    Everton tribute to the 96 - Video Dailymotion

    Be interesting to see the atmosphere around the Merseyside derby this year. Been toxic in the last decade, when I got into the game it deserved the 'friendly derby' tag in the aftermath of the 89 Cup Final.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  12. #732
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Goal-line technology debate in 3... 2... 1...

    My first reaction was "that's almost an incredible save by Harper", followed by "that's a shocking whistle and really should have been advantage", followed by "good thing he did stop it as if Newcastle had scored, there would have been chaos. In the linesman's defence, Victor Anichebe is not transparent.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  13. #733
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,782
    Everton will feel really hard done by tonight, 2 perfectly good goals ruled out by the same linesman. Ouch.

    Some game though and credit to Newcastle for getting a point after being totally outplayed in the opening 45 minutes then grabbing a late equaliser after going behind.

  14. #734
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    I thought Fellaini was offside. His hair was offside, that means he's offside.

    Both were tight enough that you can forgive the officials for getting it wrong but the decision to call the play back for a free kick with three Newcastle players running clear on goal was as dire refereeing as you'll see. Great game though, English football starting where it left off last season.

  15. #735
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,146
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yer Scousers fail to win again.

    A Liverpool supporting chum of mine is clinging onto the fact it took the Swans 6 games to register a victory last year. Which is all well and groovy if matching Swansea's creditable 11th is the limit of Liverpool's ambitions.

    If it is then something truly is rotten in the state of Scouseland.
    Ah, we'll get there. Liverpool are possibly the most unpredictable team in the premiership, it would be quite characteristic if they went from this dire start to the season to beating united this sunday. We did it against inter a coupke of years back and I can probably find countless examples of this strange coincidence liverpool are prone to. Maybe I'm just being hopelessly optimistic though.

    In Rodgers We Trust

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I see there was some handshake drama in the Prem today, groan
    Indeed, stinks of a primary school feud which has gone on far too long.

    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Everton will feel really hard done by tonight, 2 perfectly good goals ruled out by the same linesman. Ouch.

    Some game though and credit to Newcastle for getting a point after being totally outplayed in the opening 45 minutes then grabbing a late equaliser after going behind.
    Great game for thrills, caught the second half.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

    -Tolstoy



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 406
    Last Post: 25-05-2011, 01:27 AM
  2. zimbabwe domestic season
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-08-2010, 03:43 PM
  3. *Official* English Football Season 2008-2009
    By grecian in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 7954
    Last Post: 14-06-2009, 07:51 AM
  4. Records
    By Dizzy #4 in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 20-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •