• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So if little Burnley could see he was all mouth and no trousers, why can't other clubs?
To be fair, I can see why he was given the job at Porto. Understandable that a club playing in a league which probably can't attract the best coaches would take a punt on a homegrown up and coming manager, particularly if someone like Mourinho put in a good word for him or something, or he had some other connections remaining at Porto. Can even understand why Chelsea took him on as well. May have been a naive choice, but his record - albeit only a one season record - was undoubtedly impressive, so I can see why they thought he might be worth a go.

Spurs hiring him is very perculiar though. Seems pretty foolish to me, but I'm all for Spurs shooting themselves in the foot. I just hope his reign continues long enough to generate plenty of amusement.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nah, he's one of the best mids when he plays, you'd still rather have a slightly lesser player who can play 50 games. Just the practicalities of someone that age in t'modern game.
Yeah, this is the crux of the matter for me. The most telling thing for mine, is that whenever people speak positively about a Man Utd midfield performance, it's all about Scholes. It seems most of the time nobody else ever does enough to get a mention. I suppose that's all well and good if you're winning regularly, but fantastic player or no, there's only so much more mileage that can be got out of Scholes, and someone's got to take on the mantle sooner or later.

Having said that, Kagawa really ought to change that. If he can keep up his positive start I see no reason why he couldn't serve as a long term replacement.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, this is the crux of the matter for me. The most telling thing for mine, is that whenever people speak positively about a Man Utd midfield performance, it's all about Scholes. It seems most of the time nobody else ever does enough to get a mention. I suppose that's all well and good if you're winning regularly, but fantastic player or no, there's only so much more mileage that can be got out of Scholes, and someone's got to take on the mantle sooner or later.

Having said that, Kagawa really ought to change that. If he can keep up his positive start I see no reason why he couldn't serve as a long term replacement.
Hmm Kagawa's been playing as a number ten, looks like he'll replace Rooney. Cleverly is the potential replacement but atm he (like everyone who isn't Pirlo or Alonso) lacks Scholes's range of passing and can't get our wingers into the game the way Scholes does.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So that's Reading joining Southampton in the "Relegation Fodder" category then. Need to be getting something from these sorts of games to have a chance of staying up, but they've not been in it at all. Really disappointing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair, I can see why he was given the job at Porto. Understandable that a club playing in a league which probably can't attract the best coaches would take a punt on a homegrown up and coming manager, particularly if someone like Mourinho put in a good word for him or something, or he had some other connections remaining at Porto. Can even understand why Chelsea took him on as well. May have been a naive choice, but his record - albeit only a one season record - was undoubtedly impressive, so I can see why they thought he might be worth a go.

Spurs hiring him is very perculiar though. Seems pretty foolish to me, but I'm all for Spurs shooting themselves in the foot. I just hope his reign continues long enough to generate plenty of amusement.
This but only in part

Looking back at last season, it's painfully obvious he was on a hiding to nothing as some of the senior players did their bit to sabotage him once it became obvious that he wanted change/not up for it, etc.

I find it more than a touch ironic that some of these very same players (e.g. Lampard) are now copping it in the neck from their own fans

Anyway, not being English, I dont really get the Spurs hate

At least their owner made his money honestly unlike many of the other scumbags and silver spooners that have shareholdings in teams around the country

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This but only in part

Looking back at last season, it's painfully obvious he was on a hiding to nothing as some of the senior players did their bit to sabotage him once it became obvious that he wanted change/not up for it, etc.

I find it more than a touch ironic that some of these very same players (e.g. Lampard) are now copping it in the neck from their own fans

Anyway, not being English, I dont really get the Spurs hate

At least their owner made his money honestly unlike many of the other scumbags and silver spooners that have shareholdings in teams around the country
Be that as it may, it's his job as manager to deal with the egos of the players. Certainly, it seems that certain players were not best pleased with the way he did things, but it sounds as if when this was made clear he told them it was his way or the highway. Not exactly the wisest way to go about things.

The Spurs hate is largely down to me being an Arsenal fan, but also because their fans are incredibly annoying whingers. Their chairman is also widely regarded as being a **** as well, not to mention some of their coaching/playing staff over the years.

Uppercut

Heh, the guy's an absolute machine but he's not consistently pinging 60+ yard passes onto wingers' chests. I honestly think they're the only three in the world that can do it, and it makes such a massive difference to how well United's system works. I think Fergie signing Kagawa and going to 4-2-3-1 is purely because the current system will have a horrible Scholes-shaped gap that no one can fill, like when Liverpool lost Alonso.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Heh, the guy's an absolute machine but he's not consistently pinging 60+ yard passes onto wingers' chests. I honestly think they're the only three in the world that can do it, and it makes such a massive difference to how well United's system works. I think Fergie signing Kagawa and going to 4-2-3-1 is purely because the current system will have a horrible Scholes-shaped gap that no one can fill, like when Liverpool lost Alonso.
From what I remember of Arteta from watching him 10 years ago (**** me) he's more comparable in style to Xavi. Him and Ferguson were a great pairing, and he had Mols and de Boer in front of him to hit. What a team.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Goal-line technology debate in 3... 2... 1...

My first reaction was "that's almost an incredible save by Harper", followed by "that's a shocking whistle and really should have been advantage", followed by "good thing he did stop it as if Newcastle had scored, there would have been chaos. In the linesman's defence, Victor Anichebe is not transparent.

flibbertyjibber

Everton will feel really hard done by tonight, 2 perfectly good goals ruled out by the same linesman. Ouch.

Some game though and credit to Newcastle for getting a point after being totally outplayed in the opening 45 minutes then grabbing a late equaliser after going behind.

Uppercut

I thought Fellaini was offside. His hair was offside, that means he's offside.

Both were tight enough that you can forgive the officials for getting it wrong but the decision to call the play back for a free kick with three Newcastle players running clear on goal was as dire refereeing as you'll see. Great game though, English football starting where it left off last season.

cover drive man

International Captain
Yer Scousers fail to win again.

A Liverpool supporting chum of mine is clinging onto the fact it took the Swans 6 games to register a victory last year. Which is all well and groovy if matching Swansea's creditable 11th is the limit of Liverpool's ambitions.

If it is then something truly is rotten in the state of Scouseland.
Ah, we'll get there. Liverpool are possibly the most unpredictable team in the premiership, it would be quite characteristic if they went from this dire start to the season to beating united this sunday. We did it against inter a coupke of years back and I can probably find countless examples of this strange coincidence liverpool are prone to. Maybe I'm just being hopelessly optimistic though.

In Rodgers We Trust

I see there was some handshake drama in the Prem today, groan
Indeed, stinks of a primary school feud which has gone on far too long.

Everton will feel really hard done by tonight, 2 perfectly good goals ruled out by the same linesman. Ouch.

Some game though and credit to Newcastle for getting a point after being totally outplayed in the opening 45 minutes then grabbing a late equaliser after going behind.
Great game for thrills, caught the second half.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is like one of those games you play in training in primary school where you have an attack team and a defence team, How aren't Real ahead?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Montpellier #20 likes a dive. Even by the high bar football currently sets for tolerance of going to ground he's shocking. Ref's actually had a word, so hopefully next time we'll see a card.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Montpellier #20 likes a dive. Even by the high bar football currently sets for tolerance of going to ground he's shocking. Ref's actually had a word, so hopefully next time we'll see a card.
No wonder he keeps diving if the referees keep *****-footing around like that. It's not like a challenge which just happens to be mistimed or whatever, you can't cheat by accident.

Heh Man City go ahead.