• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Jager

International Debutant
Must grudgingly admit Van Persie is a sublime player, but that goal really hurt my feelings

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm a big fan of United defence this year, reckon even a scrawny ****e like Surez could knock in a header:ph34r:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come on you Saints. Been a weird start to the season with Liverpoo struggling, United looking like losing 2 of their first 3 and Arsenal keeping clean sheets. Add in West Brom and Swansea looking really impressive and it has been an exciting start to the season as a neutral.

City and Chelsea will be extremely happy with what has gone on so far.

flibbertyjibber

Gutting. Credit to United they never ever give up.

Good news is that Piers Morgan may choke on his own bile tonight after the Van Persie hat trick.:D

Uppercut

I think a lot of these teams wreck themselves with the tempo they play at against big clubs. United looked seriously off the pace for 65 minutes but Southampton looked like they had nothing left at the end. Scholes coming on made the difference, WAFG.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Michael Owen back to Liverpool? Sounds like it could happen.

Be interesting to see how the fans receive him if it did happen.

Jager

International Debutant
I think a lot of these teams wreck themselves with the tempo they play at against big clubs. United looked seriously off the pace for 65 minutes but Southampton looked like they had nothing left at the end. Scholes coming on made the difference, WAFG.
Yup agreed there, we looked absolutely legless in the final 15.

Uppercut

I mean, look at carroll's performance yesterday. Came as no surprise to anyone who has watched him in his last dozen games or so but Rodgers wanted shut and will sure regret it.

I wonder if whoever replaces Rodgers next season will use Carroll. Not sure on the terms of his loan. :ph34r:
TBF he was bound to come good at West Ham, it's not like he was doing it on his own. If Rodgers was going to sign another fat striker like Vaz Te, a second-ball master like Nolan a bunch of massive hairy defenders to score goals from the set-pieces then yeah, might as well keep him. Or if you can't get a replacement. That was just dire.

Just watching the highlights, they look hilariously open, nice big spaces for Arsenal to attack into. Reminds me of the 3-5 last year against Chelsea, two managers too dogmatic to just follow the tried-and-tested Arsenal-beating template.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair to Arsenal they looked an awful lot more compact and solid than they have in the past.

Cazorla is class as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really don't want to give him the kiss of death. And as Pothas said to me earlier, it's probably only a matter of time till he gets injured again. But Diaby was so good today. Was everywhere. Really was like watching a young Vieira.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also thought Podolski had an excellent game. Took his goal well and combined well with Cazorla for the second. Not only that, but he got back to cover Gibbs every time he needed to. Something that Theo, Gervinho and (the worst of the lot in this regard - why hasn't he been sold?) Arshavin should take a lesson from. Really made a difference I think.

Great team performance though. Giroud will no doubt be singled out for missing those chances, but on the whole I think every Arsenal player had a good game. A few more performances in this vein and people will be talking about Jenkinson for England too.

As for Liverpool, you knew the game was up when they had to summon Shelvey and Downing from the bench. Felt sorry for Allen and Sterling, seemed like they were the only hope Liverpool had at times. Not helped by the fact that Suarez still can't hit a barn door of course. Don't much rate Borini based on what he's shown so far either.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Also thought Podolski had an excellent game. Took his goal well and combined well with Cazorla for the second. Not only that, but he got back to cover Gibbs every time he needed to. Something that Theo, Gervinho and (the worst of the lot in this regard - why hasn't he been sold?) Arshavin should take a lesson from. Really made a difference I think.

Great team performance though. Giroud will no doubt be singled out for missing those chances, but on the whole I think every Arsenal player had a good game. A few more performances in this vein and people will be talking about Jenkinson for England too.

As for Liverpool, you knew the game was up when they had to summon Shelvey and Downing from the bench. Felt sorry for Allen and Sterling, seemed like they were the only hope Liverpool had at times. Not helped by the fact that Suarez still can't hit a barn door of course. Don't much rate Borini based on what he's shown so far either.
Yeah he had a good game in nullifying the not inconsiderable threat of Sterling, even at his age, but I wouldn't go too far. Even though its not an area we're blessed in, there's plenty of solid guys who I would have thought are ahead of him in the pecking order. An excuse for a shameless plug for Danny Simpson, who has been consistent for a while now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe a slightly premature assumption, for indeed he looked uncomfortable in possession on quite a few occasions. But given his lack of experience I thought he did brilliantly to come into such an important game and defend as well as he did. Was really solid, don't recall anyone beating him all game.

I wonder if Steve Bould gas given all the defenders a kick up the arse actually. It seems awfully coincidental that the team's defensive record has improved considerably since he's had a key role with the senior side.