Page 319 of 343 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,785 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Forget all this Arsenal chat, West Ham already made the signing of the summer in Ravan Rat, best name in football.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Pretty sure he's always good on Football Manager too.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I wanna hear some of these things that worked against you.

Liverpool's most common XI last season had an average age of 27(Doesn't include Coutinho or Sterling). You've literally got a handful of young players and that's giving you a guy like Jordan Henderson.

The equivalent XI for Arsenal is a full year younger on average and that's without Wilshere and the OX.

The idea that you're going to make up the ground on Arsenal just because your players have a year's extra experience is complete and utter horse****.
    Since Sterling started half the games this season and appeared in over half the games, I'd say he was common. Carra really only began to play during the latter half of the season as well. Gerrard at 32 has been our oldest player to regularly be in the XI. I've read in many pieces that we had the 2nd youngest or youngest squad in the league; so I am not entirely sure which players you're looking at. Indeed, you said XI but that would hide how threadbare we were when you looked at the bench. According to this, we had the youngest team in the league at 23.12 (Arsenal was second lowest at 23.4).

At the start of the season we basically got rid of Carroll and replaced him with... nobody - Rodgers only loaned him out as he was promised he was going to get a replacement. But it didn't happen, we lost a forward. One of his buys earlier in pre-season - Borini - got injured right in the beginning, came back and got injured again until a couple weeks ago. Leaving us with Suarez as a forward and no one else until we bought Sturridge in January.

Lucas Leiva, arguably our most important player (in terms of how his absence can affect us and a lack of alternative) got injured in the beginning of the season also - after a long injury layoff the previous year - and only got back/playing till his level till about after Christmas. Jose Enrique got injured forcing Glen Johnson at left back while Martin Kelly went on the right. Kelly got injured and then we used Andre Wisdom a lot. Hell, even Downing played left-back.

Nuri Sahin who had come in for a loan deal was unfit, got injured and never settled. Basically, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey and Wisdom were pretty common sights at the start of the season - teens or barely in their 20s.

The fixtures in the beginning were back-breaking: City, Arsenal and United in the first 5 games, add Everton and Chelsea in the first 11. All this with a new manager who was bringing different tactics which took time for the players to get used to and injuries forcing us to use youth.

Also, while I am sure every fan feels hard done by...in the first half of the season we weren't getting cert penalties because of Suarez's rep. And I am not talking about 1-2 but like 7-8. I remember we even had discussions about it here.

Once Liverpool got Lucas back, Gerrard had become the holding midfielder Rodgers needed, bought Coutinho and Sturridge, etc, basically from the new year onwards, we've been very good on the whole. In fact, I read we're the #3 team in the league since then. So you can disagree if you like, but that encapsulates my thinking.
    Last edited by Ikki; 21-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    ★★★★★

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I thought 6th would be a good finish for us this season, and we were only 2 points off that.

Reckon we're looking at 5th for next season, but obviously a lot has to do with the off-season. Having a year to get used to Rodgers' system can only have helped.

I love Andy, but we have to take the 15m if he agrees to leave.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    This is what I mean by Uppercut's posting on Arsenal.

United were equally as lucky to come away with a point in that game and it's all well and good saying 1-0s aren't that great but that's what this Arsenal side does.It's not the team of old with free-flowing massively high tempo end to end action. We're solid at the back and get the results which we've been guilty of not doing for so long.

United play badly and win and it's a sign of champions. We do it and it's a sign we're ****.

United were really poor against Arsenal, but that only reinforces my point about how unimpressive a performance it was. And I've never said United winning 1-0 is the hallmark of champions, or that Arsenal don't like it up 'em so I don't know why you're bringing that up.

Yeah, I don't think Arsenal are as good as you do at the minute, there's no need to get worked up about it. It's just an opinion, it's not like it stems from a deep dislike of the club. You're more than happy to go along with it when I think one of the teams you support is going through a patch of being underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

That one takes the biscuit for me. Rodgers, B. The Philosopher King.
    Just read a few more great ones.

"I've always said you can live without water for many days, but you can't live for a second without hope."

"My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study, so that's been my biggest influence."

"You train dogs, I like to educate players."

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    LOL, didn't realise he was that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    United were really poor against Arsenal, but that only reinforces my point about how unimpressive a performance it was. And I've never said United winning 1-0 is the hallmark of champions, or that Arsenal don't like it up 'em so I don't know why you're bringing that up.

Yeah, I don't think Arsenal are as good as you do at the minute, there's no need to get worked up about it. It's just an opinion, it's not like it stems from a deep dislike of the club. You're more than happy to go along with it when I think one of the teams you support is going through a patch of being underrated.
    Yeah, but my point is that saying we didn't deserve the points is a bit of a stretch. We outplayed you for 45, then you were the better side for 45.

It's not that you don't rate or us or don't think we're as good as I do. It's the whole manner in which you go about saying so. You talk about us as though we're Liverpool/Everton/Newcastle or something. Or that we're not the biggest side in North London. Which is just not the case.

In terms of top players, we're only not in contention for those that somebody is willing to pay 200k a week. If you don't think Higuain is a top player, for example, then we might as well give up on the matter.

How often does a manager quit/get sacked and then return to the same club in the major leagues?

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Not particularly frequently, in fact it's quite rare, but it has been known to happen.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool and Walter Smith at Rangers are the only two that immediately spring to mind.

Malcolm Allison at City

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Malcolm Allison at City
    The original "special one", and still the best

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool and Walter Smith at Rangers are the only two that immediately spring to mind.
    'Arry as well. He did it with rival clubs too.

Thread Information