Page 315 of 343 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's tougher for Arsenal because there aren't many players in the side that could be improved upon much without signing someone world-class.
    In a sense I think this might make it easier for Arsenal. The fact that the entire squad is pretty decent to good these days has (hopefully) made it clear that the only thing they can now do is try and go and make some big name signings. And I expect they will make some tbh, just have to hope that they don't turn out to be duds or horribly injury prone or something. Better not sell any players either, that'd be so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Watched an episode of "This is Liverpool" the other night and could not believe how unimpressive he was

Obviously it is edited and things were probably taken out of context but he generally spoke vacuous, shallow **** and I have literally heard better team talks at my son's under 8s swimming squad
    Can only imagine there was something in his contract that obligated him to take part in the making of that show tbh. Can't imagine any other manager worth his salt agreeing to take part in something that was obviously going to be such sycophantic, self-gratifying crap.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    They might decline somewhat, but suggesting that 4 other teams in the league will outperform them next season is bordering on incredulous imo. Time will tell I suppose, but I'll eat my hat if that happens.
    Ferguson is of course a huge loss but it'd be a big surprise if its effects are felt so severely immediately. It usually at least takes a while for even the worst managers to screw up a club that's been so successful for so long.
    Although I don't think it will happen, and they're the least likely of the teams to drop off, I still say I wouldn't be that surprised. I'm in a minority that actually think this United team wasn't a very strong United team and I put a large part of their winning to Ferguson.

For a club like United smaller set-backs are made into bigger problems because of their stature. It can all snowball really badly if it starts off poorly and it will put Moyes into a harsh spotlight. Again, we'll see. All this discussion makes me wish the season was restarting tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ikki; 21-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

So much football news in the last few days, the latest being West Ham agreeing a fee with Liverpool for Carroll. 15 million according to the BBC, they are saying that Carroll has not decided yet but I think he would be stupid not to move, is just about the perfect level for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I'm in a minority that actually think this United team wasn't a very strong United team and I put a large part of their winning to Ferguson.
    I don't think it's particularly helpful to attempt to compartmentalise the facets of a team's success like that tbh. Granted, Ferguson has to take a huge amount of credit for the success of Utd over the last few decades, but to lay all of the successes of the last season at his feet is somewhat disingenuous imo. There is no denying that they were streets ahead of all of their domestic peers this season, and the fact that they didn't win the league last year was nothing short of miraculous too. People have been saying that they don't think that the current Utd side are much chop for the past 3-4 years, but they keep on achieving an awful lot, so they can't be that bad.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    My main worry with Arsenal is that Cazorla played 37 games last year. I shudder to think what could happen if he misses several games next year.

I don't think we need too many major signings though. A world class striker is pretty important IMO, as although Giroud is OK, he's a massive drop in class from Van Persie. A quality defensive midfielder would be nice too.

A really top striker and centre back I would reckon but I am not convinced that they will spend the money needed to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    My main worry with Arsenal is that Cazorla played 37 games last year. I shudder to think what could happen if he misses several games next year.

I don't think we need too many major signings though. A world class striker is pretty important IMO, as although Giroud is OK, he's a massive drop in class from Van Persie. A quality defensive midfielder would be nice too.
    Need three quality new players (probably a forward and two midfielders) and to avoid selling any existing regulars imo. Supplement that with one or two decent prospects like Sanogo, and I'll be really keen to see what the new team can do.

It really is the best chance Arsenal have had in years to establish a really strong side for mine. There are no obvious weak links, there's a really good core of decent players in more or less every position - the majority of which have plenty of experience at both domestic and international levels despite still being relatively young - no obvious need to sell any top stars. Real cause for optimism I think, but this is if they go out and spend wisely and are not too frugal. And I'm very aware of how much of a big IF that is.
    Last edited by sledger; 21-05-2013 at 12:25 PM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    So Wet Sham agree a 15m fee for Shandy Carroll. Has to count as one of the top 10 worst ever buys in the Prem.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Di Matteo to Stoke is what I heard a few weeks back
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    In a sense I think this might make it easier for Arsenal. The fact that the entire squad is pretty decent to good these days has (hopefully) made it clear that the only thing they can now do is try and go and make some big name signings. And I expect they will make some tbh, just have to hope that they don't turn out to be duds or horribly injury prone or something. Better not sell any players either, that'd be so dumb.
    The problem isn't that they don't want to sign anyone world-class, it's that no one world-class will come. When it comes to it I couldn't name a single world-class striker that would come to Arsenal. It would take an outlandish move for someone like Ibrahimovic or someone plucked from obscurity that turns out to be incredible.

Spurs having discovered that their third reserve left-back is the next Ronaldo puts them at a big advantage for as long as they can hold on to him. Arsenal put together a great run and an excellent points total to stay ahead this year but Spurs only need to get the rest of the team up to a good standard to move ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I don't know if we really need two quality midfielders. We've got quite a few decent ones as it is.

.......Arteta---QualityDM........
    Walcott--Wilshire--Cazorla

Would work IMO. Then we've still got Rosicky, Diaby, Ramesy etc. as cover.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a midfielder like Fabregas in there as well, but I don't know if it's really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I don't know if we really need two quality midfielders. We've got quite a few decent ones as it is.

.......Arteta---QualityDM........
    Walcott--Wilshire--Cazorla

Would work IMO. Then we've still got Rosicky, Diaby, Ramesy etc. as cover.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a midfielder like Fabregas in there as well, but I don't know if it's really needed.
    The problem with that line up for me, is that Cazorla is a lot more effective when playing in the middle, and Arteta is unlikely to be a particularly long term option - given his age and the rather physically demanding nature of the role he's being asked to play in that system. Furthermore, Wilshere has so far been at his most effective when playing in a deep-lying role (though plenty of time for him to show his other qualities), which Arteta is currently occupying.

Moreover, whilst Diaby, Ramsey and Rosicky are all dependable when fit, they've a horrible record with injury problems, so two midfielders coming in would definitely be desirable for me. One defensive and another more attacking-minded, depending on how Wilshere will be used.

I think the chances of Fabregas coming back are more or less nil, but I don't think there's an obvious place for him in that side, even with what I have proposed. Arsenal's style has moved on from the days when he was there. Have no doubt he would be welcomed back, but there are several players now with his skill set.

A more pressing need is how to get Bentdner off the books, which probably won't be easy given the fact he's had a terrible season for Juve and is now injured again. Why the **** can't players like him ever be the ones whose contracts are running out ffs.

The problem isn't that they don't want to sign anyone world-class, it's that no one world-class will come. When it comes to it I couldn't name a single world-class striker that would come to Arsenal. It would take an outlandish move for someone like Ibrahimovic or someone plucked from obscurity that turns out to be incredible.

Spurs having discovered that their third reserve left-back is the next Ronaldo puts them at a big advantage for as long as they can hold on to him. Arsenal put together a great run and an excellent points total to stay ahead this year but Spurs only need to get the rest of the team up to a good standard to move ahead.
    The Bale advantage is only any good so long as they improve the rest of the squad at the same rate their peers improve their squads imo. The fact that he went through a purple patch in the second half of the season was the only thing that kept the race for 4th place competitive, they'd have left miles behind if it wasn't for him. Unless Spurs improve their team a fair bit, I think it'd be fairly unsurprising if they were to suffer the same fate next season, even if Bale remains in the form he is now, more so if he doesn't.

RE: Arsenal and World Class players, imo there is still enough there to attract really top talent. Clearly Arsenal aren't going to go out and buy Ronaldo etc... but I think targets like Jovetic and Higuain are far from unrealistic. Granted Jovetic might not be world class I suppose, but y'know. Big signings rather than world class ones, would perhaps have been a better way of putting it.

Arsenal definitely missed out on Vertonghen last summer. They should have punted Vermaelen and taken Vertonghen instead.

Should try and persuade Lewandowski to try his luck in England.

Thread Information