• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Indeed I am, but there's still, the chance any decent players from us will get transferred, guess it's not the same with you lot nowadays.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Even before, when we were **** it never really bothered me. I have multiple jerseys with players that no longer play for us (not including retired players, Anelka, Elano, Robinho, Dunne, Distin) and it's never bothered me. To each their own I guess.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was trying to watch Final Score on BBC One, but Mark Bright is just so terrible. Physically couldn't watch any more.
Easily the worst.

Do like when he comentates though just because I wait for the inevitable text that says 'urgh Mark Bright.'

Not watched final score in so long, Sky do ex players watching tv an awful lot better.

grecian

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Even before, when we were **** it never really bothered me. I have multiple jerseys with players that no longer play for us (not including retired players, Anelka, Elano, Robinho, Dunne, Distin) and it's never bothered me. To each their own I guess.
I think it's an age and proximity thing too, I mean I could get a Gow shirt, what a ****ing player he is BTW, but there's every chance I could run into him in a pub. Now that would seem sad. I've gushed drunkenly to too many city players in my life.:oops:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never had anyone's name on a kit, myself; leaves one too open to being a hostage of fortune. Anyone who had Gallas or RVP on their shirt has obviously now had to burn them.

One of my Ipswich supporting mates has

WE

NORWICH

On his Town top tho. Will never date.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh I have a Robinho jersey and I don't feel the need to burn it.
Might feel differently if he went to play for ManUre tho, I bet.

It's not the leaving (no issues with Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Cesc or Terence for instance), it's who they leave for. Applies to managers too.

One year my fanstasy team's name was George Graham's Dead To Me.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah but he bad-mouthed the club and said the fans were **** when he left, so it wasn't a very classy exit. I probably wouldn't be so forgiving if he went to the scum though, I guess. I like players and tend to like them no matter what though, so I guess I'm a bit different. Plus you're old and English, don't think it's possible to be more bitter than that ;)

Johnners

AWTSmitteh. If I like a player, I couldn't give a **** who they played for. My Torres Liverpool shirt is probs still my favourite

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Again tho, if Torres went to play for ManUre I imagine it'd be different.

Might just be an embittered Englishman thang, but did genuinely think it was more universal than that. It's kinda like being dumped and then your ex starting to shag a bloke who's an absolute ****.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think Smitteh has me mixed up with someone else, have never had my own name on a shirt. The only time I ever got anything on the back was in 04 when I vowed I get Roberts 3 if he signed a new contract. He did so I did, an he left in 06 but it's well known that he'd have loved to stay but the club offered him a pay cut and he had championship offers. He still comes to watch us as well, when he's not playing.

Agree with Brumby though; if he'd gone to Bolton or Wrexham or something then build a bonfire

BoyBrumby

Englishman
AVB watch: asking the Spuds fans for "patience" after three league games.

This comedy will run and run.

Incidentally, after Falcao's masterclass versus his former English employers on Friday and the same side sniffing around Hulk for a reported £35m (neither of who were purchased by the hapless Mourinho wannabe) I think even dedicated Portuguese football non-watchers like me have worked out how Porto did so well during his brief reign.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AVB watch: asking the Spuds fans for "patience" after three league games.

This comedy will run and run.

Incidentally, after Falcao's masterclass versus his former English employers on Friday and the same side sniffing around Hulk for a reported £35m (neither of who were purchased by the hapless Mourinho wannabe) I think even dedicated Portuguese football non-watchers like me have worked out how Porto did so well during his brief reign.
TBF they were both there the season before when Porto won nothing, and Hulk hardly played under AVB. Plus he worked wonders with the club he was in charge of before. Some truth in what you say though. Appaz the Portuguese folk at Chelsea liked him well enough, so language barriers could explain a lot of the absurd disparity in man-management skills. It's as if he's on a one-man crusade to prove to stupid people that they were right all along.

Not that I'm a fan or anything. The whole "it's not him it's the players' fault!" was especially cringeworthy- it's his ****ing job to get on with the players. But despite his general rubbishness I kinda feel inclined to defend him because criticism of him often takes an anti-intellectual tone.

Pothas

No one going to argue with that.

Not bought a Football shirt in years, only one I ever got my name on the back was a fake Lazio one that I got on holiday in Italy with Salas on the back, were very much the team I suppported most at the time (was not aware of the whole Nazi thing.)

No real desire to get a Bees one but do kind of want a Rayo Vellecano shirt, they are just so good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF they were both there the season before when Porto won nothing, and Hulk hardly played under AVB. Plus he worked wonders with the club he was in charge of before. Some truth in what you say though. Appaz the Portuguese folk at Chelsea liked him well enough, so language barriers could explain a lot of the absurd disparity in man-management skills. It's as if he's on a one-man crusade to prove to stupid people that they were right all along.

Not that I'm a fan or anything. The whole "it's not him it's the players' fault!" was especially cringeworthy- it's his ****ing job to get on with the players. But despite his general rubbishness I kinda feel inclined to defend him because criticism of him often takes an anti-intellectual tone.
His wiki page (usual health warnings apply) suggests he was the Portuguese league's top scorer in 2010/11. Impressive for someone who hardly played.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh, Stevie, Stevie, Stevie...

Superb movement from the Arse on the counter to punish the error and lovely finish from Podders.