Page 275 of 343 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285325 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,125 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    That was a lot to stomach, and I'm only a casual/honourary Bees fan!
    Haha, exactly.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

That was just too much.

I was stupid enough to think that it might just be a comfortalbe win when we got that third, thought we were excellent for the first hour, should really have had it won by then.

As it is of course they had to put us through the **** again, you just knew that equaliser was coming.

So proud of all the penalty takers though.

It is not over of course, I have been dreading Yeovil in the play-off final for months already.

International Captain
    Dean Saunders sacked by Wolves.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

To be fair, they might not have acted particularly honourably (if what the article says is true), but I'm not sure I'd call this sort of thing "shameful".

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Hmm it's pretty bad. Maybe if another company does this kind of thing then in general, fair enough. The world moves on and we can't let the attachment of a handful of fogies to the street they grew up in stunt a major economic and cultural investment in a city that needs it really badly.

For a football club it's pretty bad, particularly one with such a sentimental attachment to its origin and history. You can't claim to represent the values of a community then deliberately run it into the ground so you can cut costs on a new stadium.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I suppose that is true, but at the end of the day, Football Clubs are businesses - particularly at the top levels where teams are basically global brands - regardless of what cultural ties they have, or purport to have. And as legal persons, they're entitled to own property and do what they like with it, just like anyone else.

That's not to say that what they are doing is right, I don't think it is, but it's hardly surprising that they engage in these sorts of practices. Big corporations will always look out for number one etc... Whether they are an investment bank or a football club.

I definitely object to the notion that a football has no more of an obligation to society than any other corporation. I don't see how it's in the interests of society for football clubs to be run solely in the interests of their shareholders; I doubt it's even in the interests of the football club. I'm not one to hark after the pre-Premiership era but I certainly wouldn't want football to be shoehorned into the bog-standard profit-oriented business framework with no consideration of whether it's suitable for it or not. Markets are useful but they're there to serve people, not the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I definitely object to the notion that a football has no more of an obligation to society than any other corporation. I don't see how it's in the interests of society for football clubs to be run solely in the interests of their shareholders; I doubt it's even in the interests of the football club. I'm not one to hark after the pre-Premiership era but I certainly wouldn't want football to be shoehorned into the bog-standard profit-oriented business framework with no consideration of whether it's suitable for it or not. Markets are useful but they're there to serve people, not the other way round.
    I don't believe they should have no more of an obligation to society than any other corporation either, but in the eyes of the law, their obligations aren't any different, which is why it doesn't surprise me that this sort of thing happens. But as I say, that doesn't make it right.

Yeah, pretty much. I thought we were debating whether it was shameful or not as opposed to whether it was legal .

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. I thought we were debating whether it was shameful or not as opposed to whether it was legal .
    Haha, well, for me "shameful" is probably too strong a word, "morally dubious" would be more close to my spin on things. My attitude with most things like this, is that whilst I don't approve of this sort of behaviour, no laws are being broken and so good luck to them. Can't really blame them for using a broken system to benefit themselves to the greatest extent possible. If people aren't happy with what's going on then it's time to close the loophole or whatever, rather than complain about people abusing the rules as they stand.

Oh Wigan, that is awful defending.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Looks like that's it for Wigan
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Yeah a real shame, would have been set up for a great end to the season if they had won today.

Thread Information