• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would've thought that Berbatov is an abolute bargain for Fulham at 4-5 mill as he should guarantee at least 10 goals per year and has a style that should allow him to play for a few more years yet

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Dreamt last night that Berbatov signed for Arsenal and bagged a brace against Liverpool in Sunday's game. Very much doubt that will happen.

Also dreamt that the pre-match handshake turned into a brawl, but then RVP showed up and everyone turned on him.

Anyway...I see Van Der Vaart is off. Not particularly surprised. Won't be missed. Have never rated the guy as anything more than a Cinderella player.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I also see De Jong has been sold to Milan. I think I would have kept him if I was Mancini, and tried to flog Barry instead. Not surprised one of City's midfielders has been moved on though, would have been a struggle to fit them all in.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I also see De Jong has been sold to Milan. I think I would have kept him if I was Mancini, and tried to flog Barry instead. Not surprised one of City's midfielders has been moved on though, would have been a struggle to fit them all in.
Or maybe not, as apparently M'Vila is en route to sign for City now. Better than him joining Spurs I suppose, but ffs Arsene, get in there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Has done a great job of cutting out a load of dead wood imo. I expect there will be some new arrivals at Anfield by the end of the day.

Wonder if Clint Dempsey will be one of them. Pretty funny how the only club to express an interest in him thus far is Villa. Great career move that would be.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Essien is proper finished. Sure the Toon would sell Tiote for 15 million.
Yeah, the last thing I think any Arsenal fans would want is having him plod through each match and then the club having to foot the bill for all the medical treatment that he'll inevitably require. The guy would probably blow out his knee signing his loan agreement anyway. Would rather give guys like Frimpong a run than try and squeeze some mileage out of an obviously past it Essien.

Would have Tiote in a heartbeat, but it's not going to happen. Van Der Wiel is an interesting name that's cropped up this morning, but I doubt that'll happen either. Don't really see why they would be in for him anyway.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Tiote would be a good signing for Arsenal. It'd be a bit like planting a tree in the middle of what's already a very good, very subtle midfield.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Need someone with some mettle imo. Handled the match last week against Stoke quite well, all things considered. But I think most teams, particularly Arsenal perhaps, could do with players who have a fair bit of fight and intensity in them.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Tiote may be relentlessly physical but as well as breaking up play effectively he's a very good passer of the ball, would set up plenty of attacks.

On the other hand he's a shunt and I'd steer clear of him if I were you.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just hope they sign someone decent tbh. Think they could do with another player of some sort in any case, but deadline day is always a bit meh if the team you follow doesn't grab someone. Or so I find, anyway.

Having said that, I'm glad that Arsenal aren't experiencing a repeat of last year's.

Uppercut

A lot depends how they deal with the loss of Song but I rarely see their defence looking exposed and they already control possession well enough that a ball-winner doesn't seem necessary. Arsenal's problems are mostly with set pieces (at both ends), breaking down deep defences, and giving stupid goals away. Tiote doesn't really solve any of that, and it's hard to say how he'd adjust to such a radical change in style coming from Newcastle. Plus he has six years on his contract so won't go cheap. Very good player but not the right move imo.

Uppercut

Having said that, I'm glad that Arsenal aren't experiencing a repeat of last year's.
Signing Arteta was a masterstroke tbf. Don't know how cheaply signing a player everyone knew was brilliant became "ARSENE PANICS" when the press got their hands on it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Signing Arteta was a masterstroke tbf. Don't know how cheaply signing a player everyone knew was brilliant became "ARSENE PANICS" when the press got their hands on it.
Tbf he was the only one who was signed on that day that anyone could claim has been undisputed success. I agree, that buying late doesn't necessarily mean panic buying (though apparently it went right down to the wire and Wenger was bricking it that it wouldn't go through in time). But the other players that arrived on that day...well, you got the feeling that their signings were put together pretty hurriedly. Especially Park and Santos. Mertesacker had been talked about for a while, but one gets the feeling that had Arsenal really wanted him they wouldn't have waited till the absolute final deadline to get him in.

In any case, panic buying or not, it was pretty grim from a fans pov, I think that was really what I was getting at.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Need a striker and a dfielder imo. Backup keeper would be nice too.
Rumour is the Ox is taking Song's place in the "Arsenal central midfielders" section