Page 246 of 343 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

  1. #3676
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,052
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    It's also precisely for these reasons they might be forced to sell him though. Brand imaging and the effect it could have on sponsorship income etc...
    I don't think it'll be a huge problem for any of those things. It would be nice to think that markets will somehow punish Liverpool for employing a scumbag but they won't. The unfortunate truth is that Suarez is definitely worth persisting with. In the same way that Cantona was, and Balotelli wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  2. #3677
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,109
    There's no way Bale is at Spurs next season, surely, so there's a spot opening chance (not guaranteed of course). I don't see Chelsea being much worse next season but maybe Arsenal, unpredictable and fragile. In any case, if they keep Suarez and buy 1 or 2 good players in midfield/defence they could give it a run. Without him, they're **** on a stick.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  3. #3678
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    10,742
    Yeah agree. Spurs will get **** loads for Bale though surley? Depends how much of it Levy is willing to spend and if they make the champions league or not, but you would imagine they would be able to bring in 3 or 4 good players.

    Don't really see Arsenal falling away that badly unless Wenger leaves in the summer, which does not seem at all likely.

  4. #3679
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah agree. Spurs will get **** loads for Bale though surley? Depends how much of it Levy is willing to spend and if they make the champions league or not, but you would imagine they would be able to bring in 3 or 4 good players.

    Don't really see Arsenal falling away that badly unless Wenger leaves in the summer, which does not seem at all likely.
    Levy isn't well known for his re-investing. Even if he does, 3 or 4 new players into a team isn't a recipe for instant success. Arsenal (or any of those teams, for that matter) don't have to fall away dramatically for Liverpool to challenge them. I never said they would definitely finish above them, just that if they sell Suarez, they have absolutely no hope of challenging them.


  5. #3680
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    cricsim, lol
    Posts
    30,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't think it'll be a huge problem for any of those things. It would be nice to think that markets will somehow punish Liverpool for employing a scumbag but they won't. The unfortunate truth is that Suarez is definitely worth persisting with. In the same way that Cantona was, and Balotelli wasn't.
    Dunno, Liverpool are a big enough brand to attract a decent sponsorship revenue in any event, but I wouldn't rule them out taking a hit over the short term etc... Look how quickly sponsors distanced themselves from Pistorious and Jade Goody after their (ahem) indiscretions. Completely different circumstances obvs, but still.

  6. #3681
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    cricsim, lol
    Posts
    30,000
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Levy isn't well known for his re-investing. Even if he does, 3 or 4 new players into a team isn't a recipe for instant success. Arsenal (or any of those teams, for that matter) don't have to fall away dramatically for Liverpool to challenge them. I never said they would definitely finish above them, just that if they sell Suarez, they have absolutely no hope of challenging them.
    Their chances of catching them aren't just reliant on not selling Suarez though, they won't just have to buy, but buy well, and hope that their signings are better than those of the teams above them, relatively speaking.

    At the moment, I think there's a pretty significant gulf in quality between Liverpool and the top 5. I'm aware you're not necessarily saying otherwise btw, I'm just emphasising how in my opinion Liverpool have been totally carried by Suarez, and to a lesser extent Gerrard, for the last two years. Despite most players in the squad improving, there's no denying that there's still a load of dross in the side, and plenty of those who are past their peak and on their way out, or just on the decline generally.

  7. #3682
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah agree. Spurs will get **** loads for Bale though surley? Depends how much of it Levy is willing to spend and if they make the champions league or not, but you would imagine they would be able to bring in 3 or 4 good players.
    Possibly not, it depends who comes available. All of the teams above them have money too. If they don't get CL football they'll only get players that the teams they're trying to compete with didn't want.

    I'm not sure Bale is leaving anyway. There's lots of time left on his contract so the club don't need to let go this summer and he hasn't given any indication that he wants away. You tend to hear something about it if there's a move being planned for players like Bale. Maybe he's waiting to see if they make the CL, if they do I can't see him leaving until the summer after at the earliest.

  8. #3683
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    cricsim, lol
    Posts
    30,000
    I'd be more surprised to see Suarez in the Premiership next season than I would Bale tbh.

  9. #3684
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    10,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Possibly not, it depends who comes available. All of the teams above them have money too. If they don't get CL football they'll only get players that the teams they're trying to compete with didn't want.

    I'm not sure Bale is leaving anyway. There's lots of time left on his contract so the club don't need to let go this summer and he hasn't given any indication that he wants away. You tend to hear something about it if there's a move being planned for players like Bale. Maybe he's waiting to see if they make the CL, if they do I can't see him leaving until the summer after at the earliest.
    Yeah, I am not convinced he is either. I am not sure who has the money or is willing to pay for him at this stage. We can be sure that if he does go it will be for an awful lot though.

    No doubt all the wild speculation will be underway soon enough, Falcao to United is an interesting one.
    Last edited by Pothas; 22-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.

  10. #3685
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    10,742
    Well that is a great goal.

    Not sure I can watch the rest of this though.

  11. #3686
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    cricsim, lol
    Posts
    30,000
    Putting an exclamation point on it...

  12. #3687
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,409
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    You reckon it's as bad as what Cantona did?

    I'd be inclined to agree with Pothas - 10 games seems about right.
    Worse, actually.

    Cantona was reacting to being abused; indefensible, yes, but the Palace fan who was having a go was, by all accounts, a grade A scumbag and who didn't seem to want to know when the big Frenchman got physical. There's obviously no way he should done what he did, but he at least squared up like a man.

    Biting someone is just snide and cowardly. As Brain Moore said on his Twatter feed, in rugby union a second biting offence has a 24 week tariff.

    Seems fair to me.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  13. #3688
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,136
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    There's no way Bale is at Spurs next season, surely, so there's a spot opening chance (not guaranteed of course). I don't see Chelsea being much worse next season but maybe Arsenal, unpredictable and fragile. In any case, if they keep Suarez and buy 1 or 2 good players in midfield/defence they could give it a run. Without him, they're **** on a stick.
    Unless Man City are planning on signing him who is Bale going to?

  14. #3689
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    cricsim, lol
    Posts
    30,000
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Unless Man City are planning on signing him who is Bale going to?
    Arsenal.

  15. #3690
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,624
    Cardiff?
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 406
    Last Post: 25-05-2011, 01:27 AM
  2. zimbabwe domestic season
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-08-2010, 03:43 PM
  3. *Official* English Football Season 2008-2009
    By grecian in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 7954
    Last Post: 14-06-2009, 07:51 AM
  4. Records
    By Dizzy #4 in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 20-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •