• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not that you don't rate or us or don't think we're as good as I do. It's the whole manner in which you go about saying so. You talk about us as though we're Liverpool/Everton/Newcastle or something. Or that we're not the biggest side in North London. Which is just not the case.

In terms of top players, we're only not in contention for those that somebody is willing to pay 200k a week. If you don't think Higuain is a top player, for example, then we might as well give up on the matter.
Higuain is good, but Giroud and Podolski are good forwards too. He's not a radical improvement on what you've got and it's difficult to say how well he would fit in. Jovetic is definitely a better player IMO but even more of a risk, there haven't been very many good imports from Serie A.

You can define "top" as wide as you like but there's clearly a huge gap between players like Bale, RVP and Suarez and players like Higuain and Jovetic. In my opinion Arsenal will need someone from the former category to get to the next level, and that'll be really tough.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jovetic may end up being a better player but I'd certainly say Higuain is better. Giroud and Podolski are good but they're not 110 in 180 good. I mean, Higuain has 14 goals in 17 starts this season.

Cazorla is our world class player, and of course we'd love another one. As would any team. It's not just a case of who's available to us but who is available in general? There's Lewandowski and then who?

I do think there's some merit to what you're saying though. Take RVP from United and add him to this Arsenal side (with no replacements etc) and it could have been a very different season.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Higuain is miles better than Podolski, and though Giroud could yet be really good, at the moment Higuain is comfortably better than him too. Would be a huge signing if Arsenal were able to get him.

If they signed Higuain AND Jovetic I think I might die from excitement.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jovetic may end up being a better player but I'd certainly say Higuain is better. Giroud and Podolski are good but they're not 110 in 180 good. I mean, Higuain has 14 goals in 17 starts this season.

Cazorla is our world class player, and of course we'd love another one. As would any team. It's not just a case of who's available to us but who is available in general? There's Lewandowski and then who?
I haven't seen all that much of Jovetic but he strikes me as a much busier player. He looks to get on the ball a lot more, really nice link-up play, presses very well. I tend to think last-defender strikers like Higuain aren't as good as their goals record suggests, especially when they play for a club like Madrid that creates so much. Van Nistelrooy was another that I never really warmed to.

Of course you're right, there just aren't that many players that good in general. That's what makes it such a big advantage that Spurs have discovered one. That said, Falcao and Ibrahimovic look likely to be on the move this summer too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How often does a manager quit/get sacked and then return to the same club in the major leagues?
Obviously not 'major league' but this is our manager's history with us:

Caretaker manager in 1987 - not deemed good enough to keep job and given assistant position
Assistant manager 87-96 - sacked
Manager 07-09 - sacked
Manager 12-now

Our most successful ever manager also had two spells, it was the second one that was the most successful, the first ended in, yes, the sack

Across the water Howard Kendall had three spells at Everton. There was Keegan at Newcastle as well. Pulis was in his second spell in charge of Stoke as well.

Probably more common is a manager leaving a smaller club for a big job and going back a couple of years later with his tail between his legs.

grecian

I'd wager Pulis alone has made 10 worse ones.
I dislike Pulis as much as the next lover of football, but don't think he's made a loss of 20 mil on anyone, and there's actually talk the transfer is actually only about 12 million. Anyway, he's injured for 4 months, so let's wait and see if they even get that.

Medicals and whatnot.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, can't think of many worse transfers than Carroll.

The only other 2 that are comparable are Kaka to Real and Torres to Chelsea. Though, atleast these 2 at some point were very very good players, even though there decline started before they moved. Carroll was overhyped and overrated.

Pothas

How often does a manager quit/get sacked and then return to the same club in the major leagues?
Happens all the time in Europe, think Palermo have hired and fired the same manager about three times in one season.

Current Mallorca manager is on his 3rd stint.

Even at really big clubs it is not unusual, Heynckes is on this 3rd stint at Bayern.

Pothas

Higuain is miles better than Podolski, and though Giroud could yet be really good, at the moment Higuain is comfortably better than him too. Would be a huge signing if Arsenal were able to get him.

If they signed Higuain AND Jovetic I think I might die from excitement.
Not seen anything of Jovetic but apparently he is rather injury prone.

Soldado would be a good buy as well and about on the level of Higuain, both are better than Podolski and Giroud but not quite the very best.

Thing is with those two is that they are not going to become ridiculously good, I know it sounds easy to say but Arsenal need to buy someone like Henry that improves massively.