Page 237 of 343 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    He's been very close to it this season IMO.
    He's close to it, but he's not it. Its Gerrard. Carrick does the bare minimum what Gerrard does in terms of keeping tempo, being the passing fulcrum; but does not come within a country mile of Gerrard in terms of actually creating chances, assists and scoring. Even though they play the same position and role.

I remember this was discussed a few pages back but Gerrard simply never gets rated properly when his role has been primarily to distribute the ball. To put Gerrard's season in context; he's only slightly worse than Mata in terms of contributing to goals and creating chances, despite playing a very deep role, yet still manages to pass at a similar accuracy clip as a Carrick even though he has to force the issue at times because he has creative burden of the team. In fact, the only thing Carrick does distinctly superior to Gerrard is pass more in volume (Liverpool play a double pivot at times which keeps Gerrard's numbers down) and they have basically similar defensive contribution as well.

This was actually one of Gerrard's best seasons, he hasn't missed a minute of football in the premier league either. For me this is just confirmation of the previous discussion - unless Gerrard has a blinder of a game the neutrals rarely notice now.

TBF, I also think Yaya and Fellaini (even though at times he played further up) were better too. Carrick is there largely on the merit of his team's position IMO - not that he hasn't had a fine season but not that fine of a season. As I said before, I was surprised Cazorla didn't make it because he's basically Mata except even when he doesn't score or assist he tends to boss the game. Arteta has also been brilliant for the majority of the time.
    Last edited by Ikki; 19-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    The top 6 doesn't have a defender in there but I think Vertonghen had a very good case. Brilliant player either at CB or LB.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    He'll always be massively under-rated in this country because he's about as far away from the typical "British" centre half as you can get.
    Or it's because he's both terrible and great in the position and far too unreliable.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Would think Nastasic, Rafael and Davies have far better shouts for YPOTY than Wilshere and Welbeck. Surprised Michu didn't make it over Hazard for POTY also.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Blimey, so with Suarez who is apparently the best player in the league by a long way and Gerrard who is the best midfielder in the league having his best season, Liverpool must be clinching the league this weekend then?

What do you mean, they're not even going to make it into the Europa League by a long way?

Either that or Ikki is spouting bollocks?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah he's just been the stand-out midfielder in a mid-table club. Another Schneiderlin or Yacub. They might have been better than Carrick but no one can really judge because no one watches enough of their completely inconsequential games to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I don't think I've ever met someone so desperate to be a Gerrard sycophant in all my life.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Suarez the second best player in the league this season for mine (behind RvP) and Gerrard's had his best season in the last 4 years probably. But those two aside, we really haven't shown any consistent quality.

The best teams have a quality squad, and while Carrick is a clear beneficiary of one, he is definitely underrated, doing all the little (and hard) things extremely well. Consistent quality every week (except when he was playing centre back, haha). The quintessential team player really.
    Last edited by Nate; 20-04-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

You might say the United squad are the beneficiaries of having Carrick amongst them tbh, since the team invariably performs better when he is in it.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    You might say the United squad are the beneficiaries of having Carrick amongst them tbh, since the team invariably performs better when he is in it.
    Sure, works both ways.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Passionate or attention seeker?

"It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Must say, I have found myself liking him more since that incident, for some reason.

Looking like a bad day for Wigan, this.

Also, Arsenal in danger of screwing up as well, sounds like they have taken their foot well off the gas in the second half.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Must say, I have found myself liking him more since that incident, for some reason.
    This is a fresh incident, from today. Seems like he'll be doing it every time Sunderland score

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    This is a fresh incident, from today. Seems like he'll be doing it every time Sunderland score
    Haha oh right. Well, no doubt he is an attention seeker imo, but at the same time, his passion does seem to be genuine. Either way, he's done a good job of taking the media attention away from the Sunderland squad and placing it all on himself, which seems to have done wonders for their confidence and performances.

Thread Information