• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I dunno, there is plenty of money to spend there and an awful lot of people want to manage in the Premiership. Pulis has proven himself totally incapable of improving on their current position and this season was starting to take them backwards.
Maybe, it depends really how much money is available, I suppose. To get that squad playing decent football and properly progressing a bit carve up of the current squad is required, and either heavy investment off the bat, or a prolonged period of decent investment through which 3 to 4 really decent players are acquired over the course of a few years.

The problem is with the team at the moment, is that there is more or less no flair and spark whatsoever. And moreover, just no real quality. Have been punching above their weight for a while really, but it looks like their brand of football has just about been worked out now. Would be hilarious if a new manager comes in and tries to play tiki-taka from the get-go, they'd be down in a flash.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So ahead of Arsenal and Spurs then? That is a very tough task, can't see either of those two beating weaker next season.
I don't know what composition the top 4 will be (heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if United don't make top 4) but I took your question as: what is the best you think Liverpool could do, that isn't a ridiculous punt? So, top 4. I imagine that from top to bottom of the organisation that is also going to be the expectation.

Without getting into specifics, I think a lot of things worked against us this year and we're not going to remain 10 points inferior to the top 4 sides. I think for a team like Arsenal/Tottenham it is going to need something more significant to improve from the level they are whereas for us I believe just a strong defensive record (basically when Carra forced his way back in the team) will improve us hugely in the standings.

We also have a lot of young guys where I think just the experienced gained last season is going to help them next season. Where last season it looked like we really lacked depth using some of our young ressies for important fixtures, those same players now look like reliable squad members at least for next year. We'll see.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poyet would surely take them down, the change would just be too radical. It's really tough to transition away from Stoke's style of football. Having half a passing team and half a spoiler/set pieces team is usually just a disaster.
There would have to be a major overhaul of the squad for sure but I don't think it would be impossible, Poyet was only an example but he does not strike me as a hopeless idealist.

I know Villa do not play a passig style but it was a massive overhaul from the way they played under McLeish and they just about got away with it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes you would.
Nah, I wouldn't. Ferguson for me is a huge loss. The guy was a damn winner and instilled it into his team. Dealing with a long European campaign, rotating properly, getting the players motivated by his ideas, winning anything, are going to be a lot of firsts for a first season at United for Moyes.

Then again, you wonder how much influence Ferguson will still have as he's still at the club.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They might decline somewhat, but suggesting that 4 other teams in the league will outperform them next season is bordering on incredulous imo. Time will tell I suppose, but I'll eat my hat if that happens.

Pothas

Yeah Moyes is not Ferguson but it is hard to see him being a total disaster they have too many good players for a start.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know what composition the top 4 will be (heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if United don't make top 4) but I took your question as: what is the best you think Liverpool could do, that isn't a ridiculous punt? So, top 4. I imagine that from top to bottom of the organisation that is also going to be the expectation.

Without getting into specifics, I think a lot of things worked against us this year and we're not going to remain 10 points inferior to the top 4 sides. I think for a team like Arsenal/Tottenham it is going to need something more significant to improve from the level they are whereas for us I believe just a strong defensive record (basically when Carra forced his way back in the team) will improve us hugely in the standings.

We also have a lot of young guys where I think just the experienced gained last season is going to help them next season. Where last season it looked like we really lacked depth using some of our young ressies for important fixtures, those same players now look like reliable squad members at least for next year. We'll see.
I think Spurs have good prospects for improvement if they do keep hold of Bale. There are some obvious squad holes that could be filled by anyone decent. It's tougher for Arsenal because there aren't many players in the side that could be improved upon much without signing someone world-class. But both teams are quite young and will probably expect to improve too.

Ferguson is of course a huge loss but it'd be a big surprise if its effects are felt so severely immediately. It usually at least takes a while for even the worst managers to screw up a club that's been so successful for so long.

social

Quite the opposite.

I respect Liverpool as a proper football club. When I was growing up they were the football club.

It's painful to see such a clown in charge of one of English football's greatest institutions.

If a club is going to commit regicide, as Liverpool did when they sacked Dalglish, I want someone a little more convincing than a fat joker who's had a season and a half of success.

In fact, with his predecessor winning the FA Cup and successor the League Cup, there's an argument Liverpool went for the worst Swansea manager possible. :ph34r:
Watched an episode of "This is Liverpool" the other night and could not believe how unimpressive he was

Obviously it is edited and things were probably taken out of context but he generally spoke vacuous, shallow **** and I have literally heard better team talks at my son's under 8s swimming squad

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's tougher for Arsenal because there aren't many players in the side that could be improved upon much without signing someone world-class.
In a sense I think this might make it easier for Arsenal. The fact that the entire squad is pretty decent to good these days has (hopefully) made it clear that the only thing they can now do is try and go and make some big name signings. And I expect they will make some tbh, just have to hope that they don't turn out to be duds or horribly injury prone or something. Better not sell any players either, that'd be so dumb.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Watched an episode of "This is Liverpool" the other night and could not believe how unimpressive he was

Obviously it is edited and things were probably taken out of context but he generally spoke vacuous, shallow **** and I have literally heard better team talks at my son's under 8s swimming squad
Can only imagine there was something in his contract that obligated him to take part in the making of that show tbh. Can't imagine any other manager worth his salt agreeing to take part in something that was obviously going to be such sycophantic, self-gratifying crap.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They might decline somewhat, but suggesting that 4 other teams in the league will outperform them next season is bordering on incredulous imo. Time will tell I suppose, but I'll eat my hat if that happens.
Ferguson is of course a huge loss but it'd be a big surprise if its effects are felt so severely immediately. It usually at least takes a while for even the worst managers to screw up a club that's been so successful for so long.
Although I don't think it will happen, and they're the least likely of the teams to drop off, I still say I wouldn't be that surprised. I'm in a minority that actually think this United team wasn't a very strong United team and I put a large part of their winning to Ferguson.

For a club like United smaller set-backs are made into bigger problems because of their stature. It can all snowball really badly if it starts off poorly and it will put Moyes into a harsh spotlight. Again, we'll see. All this discussion makes me wish the season was restarting tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pothas

So much football news in the last few days, the latest being West Ham agreeing a fee with Liverpool for Carroll. 15 million according to the BBC, they are saying that Carroll has not decided yet but I think he would be stupid not to move, is just about the perfect level for him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm in a minority that actually think this United team wasn't a very strong United team and I put a large part of their winning to Ferguson.
I don't think it's particularly helpful to attempt to compartmentalise the facets of a team's success like that tbh. Granted, Ferguson has to take a huge amount of credit for the success of Utd over the last few decades, but to lay all of the successes of the last season at his feet is somewhat disingenuous imo. There is no denying that they were streets ahead of all of their domestic peers this season, and the fact that they didn't win the league last year was nothing short of miraculous too. People have been saying that they don't think that the current Utd side are much chop for the past 3-4 years, but they keep on achieving an awful lot, so they can't be that bad.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
My main worry with Arsenal is that Cazorla played 37 games last year. I shudder to think what could happen if he misses several games next year.

I don't think we need too many major signings though. A world class striker is pretty important IMO, as although Giroud is OK, he's a massive drop in class from Van Persie. A quality defensive midfielder would be nice too.

Pothas

A really top striker and centre back I would reckon but I am not convinced that they will spend the money needed to get them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
My main worry with Arsenal is that Cazorla played 37 games last year. I shudder to think what could happen if he misses several games next year.

I don't think we need too many major signings though. A world class striker is pretty important IMO, as although Giroud is OK, he's a massive drop in class from Van Persie. A quality defensive midfielder would be nice too.
Need three quality new players (probably a forward and two midfielders) and to avoid selling any existing regulars imo. Supplement that with one or two decent prospects like Sanogo, and I'll be really keen to see what the new team can do.

It really is the best chance Arsenal have had in years to establish a really strong side for mine. There are no obvious weak links, there's a really good core of decent players in more or less every position - the majority of which have plenty of experience at both domestic and international levels despite still being relatively young - no obvious need to sell any top stars. Real cause for optimism I think, but this is if they go out and spend wisely and are not too frugal. And I'm very aware of how much of a big IF that is.

Last edited: