• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graham Turner up to 11th longest serving boss and he not been in job 3 years yet. :laugh:

Can't believe Stoke have let Pulis go, can see a Charlton post Curbishley happening there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Read an article in the paper at the weekend that said Brendan "Silver Shovel" Rodgers is the 30th longest serving manager in the four divisons already.

Guess Pulis going moves him up to 29th.

Much as I loathe Pulis and Stoke RUFC I do think you can ink them in for relegation next season now. He's become a victim of his own success.

Notlob the obvious choice for a man of his, ahem, talents.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Read an article in the paper at the weekend that said Brendan "Silver Shovel" Rodgers is the 30th longest serving manager in the four divisons already.
I don't get it...what makes you dislike Rodgers so much? Is it simply because he is LFC manager or is there another reason?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't get it...what makes you dislike Rodgers so much? Is it simply because he is LFC manager or is there another reason?
Quite the opposite.

I respect Liverpool as a proper football club. When I was growing up they were the football club.

It's painful to see such a clown in charge of one of English football's greatest institutions.

If a club is going to commit regicide, as Liverpool did when they sacked Dalglish, I want someone a little more convincing than a fat joker who's had a season and a half of success.

In fact, with his predecessor winning the FA Cup and successor the League Cup, there's an argument Liverpool went for the worst Swansea manager possible. :ph34r:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Quite the opposite.

I respect Liverpool as a proper football club. When I was growing up they were the football club.

It's painful to see such a clown in charge of one of English football's greatest institutions.

If a club is going to commit regicide, as Liverpool did when they sacked Dalglish, I want someone a little more convincing than a fat joker who's had a season and a half of success.

In fact, with his predecessor winning the FA Cup and successor the League Cup, there's an argument Liverpool went for the worst Swansea manager possible. :ph34r:
Ah ok. I thought there was something maybe he said or did. On the whole I think Rodgers keeps pretty conservative with his remarks so I don't really get the dislike of him if for those reasons.

Liverpool made a bold move going with Rodgers - instead of a big name or experience they went with someone who had a 'philosophy'. I think he owes a great deal of the faith in him to managers like Guardiola or Klopp who press on with a footballing ideology, and of course success.

There seems to be a faction, inclusive of Liverpool fans, that think he is too much of a salesman than a manager. As a fan though I think that's a bit harsh. He has undoubtedly helped us play better and has brought in at least 2 fantastic signings. Liverpool's problem in the last couple years has been mentality-related. As soon as we'd go 1 down heads would drop (exacerbated because we tended to batter teams and come away with nothing). That's slowly changed this year. All the players really like him as well so I am hopeful for next year.

Also, Russell Brand with a quality piece: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/21/russell-brand-alex-ferguson-football

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Rodgers might be conservative with his remarks, but his remarks are often stupid and meaningless. I'm not of the opinion that he is either terrible or great, not yet anyway. But he does come out with a lot of rubbish, which rather makes him appear, at least, like a bit of a hack.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bet this decision is regretted in a couple of years time when they have been relegated.
I struggle to think who they could attract who would actually be a step up from Pulis tbh. I don't especially rate Pulis anyway - suspect he's more of an effective manager, rather than a good one - but I doubt they will be able to appoint anyone who will actually be really capable of improving the club beyond what they have already achieved.

Uppercut

Rodgers might be conservative with his remarks, but his remarks are often stupid and meaningless. I'm not of the opinion that he is either terrible or great, not yet anyway. But he does come out with a lot of rubbish, which rather makes him appear, at least, like a bit of a hack.
He's also been hit by the widespread realisation that he didn't actually have that much to do with Swansea's success. With his first season at Liverpool a disappointment it's as if the bottom has fallen out of his reputation.

They've ended the season well but Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea all ended the season very strongly too, and you'd expect all of them to improve over the summer so it'll be really tough for Liverpool to finish higher than 6th next year. I don't think that'll be enough for the fans so having been given an easy ride for his first season he may now have to do a seriously good job in his second just to keep his job.

Uppercut

Bet this decision is regretted in a couple of years time when they have been relegated.
It feels almost inevitable but they had to let go sooner or later. He'll be able to point at their failure as evidence of how good a job he was doing but the reality is the opposite. He's left a bloated, ageing squad that only knows how to play in a dull and ineffective style and a reputation that will make it very difficult for the club to attract a decent level of player or manager. It's hard to see where they can go from here. Appointing a Pulis-clone and continuing to spend huge sums of money to scrap just above the relegation zone in the usual dire way seems almost like a best-case scenario.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I struggle to think who they could attract who would actually be a step up from Pulis tbh. I don't especially rate Pulis anyway - suspect he's more of an effective manager, rather than a good one - but I doubt they will be able to appoint anyone who will actually be really capable of improving the club beyond what they have already achieved.
I dunno, there is plenty of money to spend there and an awful lot of people want to manage in the Premiership. Pulis has proven himself totally incapable of improving on their current position and this season was starting to take them backwards.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It feels almost inevitable but they had to let go sooner or later. He'll be able to point at their failure as evidence of how good a job he was doing but the reality is the opposite. He's left a bloated, ageing squad that only knows how to play in a dull and ineffective style and a reputation that will make it very difficult for the club to attract a decent level of player or manager. It's hard to see where they can go from here. Appointing a Pulis-clone and continuing to spend huge sums of money to scrap just above the relegation zone in the usual dire way seems almost like a best-case scenario.
Yeah, it is very possible that they would have gone down next year with Pulis anyway. Can easily see them going for someone like Martin O'Neil which yeah would pretty much keep them on thier current path.

Think they would be better to take a risk, overhaul the squad and appoint someone younger like Poyet.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Poyet would surely take them down, the change would just be too radical. It's really tough to transition away from Stoke's style of football. Having half a passing team and half a spoiler/set pieces team is usually just a disaster.