• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think the fact that at one point Beckham was very overrated (runner up in both European/Fifa player of the year) hides the fact that he was actually still a quality player. I am not sure there has been a better striker of the ball.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Many people are being unfair to Beckham, no he wasn't a great player but nor was Keegan. Very similar though in that they made the most out of the talent they had and ended up better known than many more gifted players who didn't have their work ethic. At least Beckham performed when it mattered for England and produced moments of magic when needed unlike many other overhyped England internationals.

Yes the fact it was a bit of a circus with him and his wife made many dislike him and the fact he played for Man Utd won't have helped either but he was a good captain for England and apart from shagging the pig wanker he didn't really do anything wrong off the field unlike so many of his teammates.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with FJ. For 6 or 7 years either side of the Millenium he was very good. Not world class, but did his job better and more consistently than most England midfielders you could name. Possibly never quite the same after his injury shortly before the 2002 WC, and I did object to his spate of appearances after 2006 which seemed to serve no other purpose than allowing him to get past 100 caps. Probably contributed more to the national side than Waddle actually, irrespective of who was the more talented of the two..

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with FJ. For 6 or 7 years either side of the Millenium he was very good. Not world class, but did his job better and more consistently than most England midfielders you could name. Possibly never quite the same after his injury shortly before the 2002 WC, and I did object to his spate of appearances after 2006 which seemed to serve no other purpose than allowing him to get past 100 caps. Probably contributed more to the national side than Waddle actually, irrespective of who was the more talented of the two..
Well, If Turnip had picked Waddle, when he was poty in England, and during his latter time at Marseille when he took them to a European Cup final, may have been different.

Always loved him as a player, always thought he was a bit of a **** as a bloke. Seems to be one of the leading lights in the "it was the players that sorted out the tactics in the 1990 WC, not Bobby Robson" camp. Vehemently denied by Terry Butcher and others, but of course latched onto by the gutter press that had been out to get Bobby for a while.

Waddles managerial career, and these other players that hinted at it didn't really work out as well as Sir Bobby's, funny that.

Beckham? meh he retired when he went to play in that tinpot septic league as far as I'm concerned.

Uppercut

I don't think his ability declined much post-United but he struggled to find his place after football moved on from 4-4-2. As a right midfielder in that system he was without equal because he could create so effectively from in front of the full back. Two strikers to aim crosses at and he could beat his man every time just by bending the ball around him (something no one else has managed to replicate at all). Then he would chip in fairly regularly with spectacular goals.

Madrid didn't really know what to do with him, which pretty much sums up what went wrong with the galactico recruitment policy. He was alright as a deep-lying midfielder but it didn't come naturally to him, he wasn't a tika-taka type and didn't contribute much in defence. He was too slow to play as an out-and-out winger. Wherever he played he tended to chase the ball because his reputation was so huge that he felt like he should be 'making something happen', especially for England. Dropping him was impossible because of his reputation, and his dead-ball ability probably made him worth keeping around anyway. But the fans started to really resent him, culminating in McClaren dropping him from his first squad in a move that seems really ****ed up now.

So yeah, world-class in his very specific role at United but no one knew what to do with his really unique skillset after that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Always gave the impression of trying 100% and really caring about playing for England, which is why I always liked him. Can't think of many players in my lifetime that gave it their all like he did. The fact that he excelled at two or three particular skills is often used to conceal the fact that he had a good work rate and that the teams he played for often played a lot better when he was on the pitch. Always gave the impression of being a good skipper also. Not one of the very best, perhaps, but very decent player imo.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't think his ability declined much post-United but he struggled to find his place after football moved on from 4-4-2. As a right midfielder in that system he was without equal because he could create so effectively from in front of the full back. Two strikers to aim crosses at and he could beat his man every time just by bending the ball around him (something no one else has managed to replicate at all). Then he would chip in fairly regularly with spectacular goals.

Madrid didn't really know what to do with him, which pretty much sums up what went wrong with the galactico recruitment policy. He was alright as a deep-lying midfielder but it didn't come naturally to him, he wasn't a tika-taka type and didn't contribute much in defence. He was too slow to play as an out-and-out winger. Wherever he played he tended to chase the ball because his reputation was so huge that he felt like he should be 'making something happen', especially for England. Dropping him was impossible because of his reputation, and his dead-ball ability probably made him worth keeping around anyway. But the fans started to really resent him, culminating in McClaren dropping him from his first squad in a move that seems really ****ed up now.

So yeah, world-class in his very specific role at United but no one knew what to do with his really unique skillset after that.
Don't think I've ever read a better post than this. Absolutely spot on.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A couple of years ago I walked into a hotel coffee shop to find my mum having a cup of tea with Beckham (apparently they had met in the lift and as the place was full, shared a table)

When I thanked him for looking after (i.e. putting up with) the old girl, he basically said that the fans paid his wages and it didn't cost anything to be nice

Cant imagine Rooney doing that (or being able to hold a conversation for that matter) and sums up why his image is so good

Uppercut

It's what a reputation does to you
It's what a witch-hunt does to you.

Seb Larsson's just dragged him down cynically because he was too quick for him. But he doesn't get a reputation for cynicism and booked every time he goes near anyone. For some reason we side with the spoilers in this country.