• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
His last season there before he quit they got 91 points. Real were with 100.

Barca's low point in last 10 years or so was on 56 points and 6th place before Rijkaard took over who himself did a remarkable turnaround there as they had a bad few years before that. Financial dynamic in La Liga have changed a lot since then also with the top 2 going further apart from the rest every year.

Guardiola did very well given the favorable circumstances at Barca (not much more you can expect except maybe not leaving the way he did and his transfer record outside of Ex Barca products), but won't put him in the highest league yet vs manager's who have proven themselves working from the bottom upwards and across different scenarios and clubs that were outside their comfort zone many a time.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ah yeah fair dos it was 91, my bad. Point stands though. Barca progressed a lot under Guardiola and it was predominantly his doing.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guardiola did very well given the favorable circumstances at Barca (not much more you can expect except maybe not leaving the way he did), but won't put him in the highest league yet vs manager's who have proven themselves working from the bottom upwards and across different scenarios and clubs that were outside their comfort zone many a time.
I'm not sure he'll do that well. Sacchi never did that well after leaving Milan. I don't think it matters that much. It's really a matter of taste who you rank higher between a manager that creates trophy-winning sides with several different clubs, or a manager that creates one of the greatest teams ever just once.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure he'll do that well. Sacchi never did that well after leaving Milan. I don't think it matters that much. It's really a matter of taste who you rank higher between a manager that creates trophy-winning sides with several different clubs, or a manager that creates one of the greatest teams ever just once.
It's a good question actually. Paisley vs Clough springs immediately to mind, and I wouldn't want to call it either way.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Clean sweep for Bale - named Premier League Player of the Year by the Barclay's panel. Fergie, inevitably, with the Manager gong.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal apparently close to signing Football Manager favourite Yaya Sanogo.
Quite pleased about this, seems like a really decent prospect. Will be annoyed if his signing is used as an excuse to not go after a forward of proven quality, however.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Was absolutely awesome in FM and seems to have a good scoring record in real life too. Seems to be bit of a crock so far though and has played only 24 games in 4 years.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just bitter about the fact that the only things he'll be remembered for are missing a penalty, appearing in a Pizza Hut advert, and having a horrid haircut, I suspect.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great Copa Del Rey final. Atletico beat Madrid for the first time since 1999, Mourinho sent to the stands, Ronaldo sent off, Madrid hit the post 3 times, couple of great saves, several fights, and constant play-acting.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Been a crazy few days at Real culminating upto this.

First reports came about discontent in the dressing room and then last week Real cancelled the press conference due to internal differences.

The Mourinho came out saying that as long as he is a manager for Madrid, Lopez would be in goal... and not Casillas.

Then Pepe came out defending Casillas saying that Casillas wasn't the bad guy in this whole affair and Mourinho replied that Pepe said that only because he's frustrated by Varane being a better defender.

Then yesterday there was another press conference all scheduled and Mourinho didn't show up, leaving Ramos alone.

Today he gets sent off and Ronaldo too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just bitter about the fact that the only things he'll be remembered for are missing a penalty, appearing in a Pizza Hut advert, and having a horrid haircut, I suspect.
In all fairness it isn't a massive stretch to say Waddle was a better player than St Becks, but the bitterness is just oozing out of that comment, tossed away as it probably was. &, tbh, Beckham missed crucial penalties for England (the away qualifier in Turkey for the 2004 Euros and the shoot-out versus the Portuguese in the QFs of the tournament proper, off the top of my head) and had more than his fair share of twatty haircuts too.

Have to say the rush to canonise Beckham has been a little stomach turning; let's be frank: he wasn't that good.

If one looks at the classic ManUre midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Golden Balls I think it's a pretty unproblematic assertion that he was the least crucial of the four to his team's success. Where he excelled was self-promotion.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In all fairness it isn't a massive stretch to say Waddle was a better player than St Becks, but the bitterness is just oozing out of that comment, tossed away as it probably was. &, tbh, Beckham missed crucial penalties for England (the away qualifier in Turkey for the 2004 Euros and the shoot-out versus the Portuguese in the QFs of the tournament proper, off the top of my head) and had more than his fair share of twatty haircuts too.

Have to say the rush to canonise Beckham has been a little stomach turning; let's be frank: he wasn't that good.

If one looks at the classic ManUre midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Golden Balls I think it's a pretty unproblematic assertion that he was the least crucial of the four to his team's success. Where he excelled was self-promotion.

I think the other three have all been better players but at the time they played together I don't think Beckham was the weak link at all.