• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wouldn't say he's top tier, clearly a rung below Mourinho/Pep/Ferguson types. Maybe the hate is just a backlash against Liverpool's online army of escaped lunatics constantly sucking him off.
I'd wait till Guardiola faces a more significant challenge before grouping him in the highest tier.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Legend in more ways than one.

He was still decent for PSG tbh. Ancelotti said that he was surprised at how good he was still, while he was expecting a dud.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If he was expecting a dud then why sign him? :unsure:
He didn't call him a dud exactly, but said that he wasn't expecting him to be as good as he was still plus he doesn't make signings there anyways.

I think it was expected to be just a Marketing type signing with his wages going to Charity to boost PSG's profile, but he ended up playing important matches for them including the CL one against Barca.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we appoint Benitez I'm out.
Why?

Don't tell me it's one of those dumbarse English reasons like "he managed X, so he will never be welcome here."

Truth is that he has a more impressive record than Pellegrini and City would be lucky to get him

Trouble is that it would all end up in tears as the clueless owners want a stooge not a manager and that's not Rafa's way

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Go on, enlighten me as to why you would give up supporting a team because they hire a top quality manager
His failure to elaborate may have something to do with the fact that he'd rather not have a (fictitious) anecdote about how you know some figure of sporting excellence spat at him, I suspect.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, in other news. Actually agree with Ikki on Rafa.

I don't think he'd be a very good fit for City, but I think he's a really good coach. Quite a likeable chap too, despite going through a period of appearing somewhat objectionable whilst managing Liverpool.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just sort of what happens as a successful coach: you do your job well, your players gain huge reputations as a result of all the winning, people start saying your job was easy because your players were so good.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That shouldn't preclude the fact that it can, or at least could, happen in reverse order though.

I don't believe this is the case with Guardiola at all, but I am sure there are examples of this sort of thing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's just sort of what happens as a successful coach: you do your job well, your players gain huge reputations as a result of all the winning, people start saying your job was easy because your players were so good.
Not necessarily, no-one pegs Mourinho as a chequebook manager.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yep. People just assume that Barcelona were always awesome, which isn't quite the case. In the season before Guardiola took over, they obtained 67 points in the league. In his last season, they obtained 100 points. That's a hell of a lot of an improvement.