• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal have just been lacking a really good player in 2 or 3 key positions. Which has been the case for the last 10 years.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't expect anyone or everyone to agree with this, but I think teams who win a major trophy in the year should automatically escape relegation.

Clubs are in the business of winning trophies and I just find it a little silly that a team like Sunderland which might finish 17th and does nothing in the cups is in a better position the following year compared to Wigan.

I just think it can add to the tension of staying in the top flight. I do realize that this year having no final day drama in the relegation zone, is not the norm.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So Wigan are relegated hey?

Looks like my million dollars is safe, as that is what I owe GIMH if Wigan ever win the Premiership.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think we all know they'll win it once they get back in the Prem but because I'm a good guy I'll take half a million now seeing as they've won the cup, and then I'll waive the bet when they actually do win the league. Can't say fairer than that.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Fabregas would be about as good a signing as we could possibly make if Rooney stays. And not just because it'd piss off sledger, although that helps.
My cousin is a huge Arsenal fan and I am losing an annual bet with him as Liverpool keep finishing below Arsenal. It'd crush him if Cesc went to United. :laugh:

For United it would be a brilliant move and they'd probably have the money if they sell Rooney. Straight swap?

Also, Coutinho <3

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't expect anyone or everyone to agree with this, but I think teams who win a major trophy in the year should automatically escape relegation.

Clubs are in the business of winning trophies and I just find it a little silly that a team like Sunderland which might finish 17th and does nothing in the cups is in a better position the following year compared to Wigan.

I just think it can add to the tension of staying in the top flight. I do realize that this year having no final day drama in the relegation zone, is not the norm.
Maybe for winning the FA Cup. Not the League Cup though.

I strongly disagree with 3rd from bottom of the EPL automatically being relegated though. That side should be in the play-offs instead of whoever finished 6th in the Championship.
They did something along those lines about 25 years ago; 3rd bottom in the old 1st division against 3rd top in the old 2nd division. And then the play-offs were expanded and the bteam finishing 6th in the 2nd tier were regarded as being more worthy than 18th in the top tier. Complete nonsense, obviously.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Chelsea win The Europa League then. Rafa becomes the 2nd manager in history to win 3 European trophies with 3 different teams. Gonna watch the Chelsea forums to see some people commit Harakiri.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't get why Rafa's so polarising. Half of twitter insists he's a dildo and the other half insists he's a god. Pretty good manager, surely?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah he is. What you see is what you get; he's obviously petulant but at the same time if he gets a player to believe in him you feel like they'd run through a brick wall for him. The problem seems to be that if he falls out with you it's hard to recover from.

He's still idolised by the red part of Merseyside that's for sure.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think Rafa is just ultra professional and expects it from everyone - players and owners. He can grate on people because he's not the 'arm over shoulder' manager nor does he try to get too intimate with his players and know them on a personal level. His style weeds out players who need too much motivating from the manager and the ones that remain tend to love him.

As a coach, as a manager, he's top tier. A side like City (same for Real Madrid) should be clamouring for him if what they really desire is success in Europe.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Maybe for winning the FA Cup. Not the League Cup though.

I strongly disagree with 3rd from bottom of the EPL automatically being relegated though. That side should be in the play-offs instead of whoever finished 6th in the Championship.
They did something along those lines about 25 years ago; 3rd bottom in the old 1st division against 3rd top in the old 2nd division. And then the play-offs were expanded and the bteam finishing 6th in the 2nd tier were regarded as being more worthy than 18th in the top tier. Complete nonsense, obviously.
No they shouldn't, the Premier League team has a ludicrous advantage over Championship teams.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Rafa is just ultra professional and expects it from everyone - players and owners. He can grate on people because he's not the 'arm over shoulder' manager nor does he try to get too intimate with his players and know them on a personal level.

As a coach, as a manager, he's top tier. A side like City (same for Real Madrid) should be clamouring for him if what they really desire is success in Europe.
Dunno about ultra professional. Press conferences like 'these are the FACTS' and the coaching and training ones were anything but, but they were bloody entertaining.

Interesting point about City though. I doubt he'd take them to the title but you're right, he'd do well in Europe. Makes you wonder why Chelsea didnt go for him sooner.

Uppercut

Probably just the Liverpool link. It felt weird even this season. He's also a very defensive coach, which is another thing Roman doesn't like.

I wouldn't say he's top tier, clearly a rung below Mourinho/Pep/Ferguson types. Maybe the hate is just a backlash against Liverpool's online army of escaped lunatics constantly sucking him off.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's basically won everything there is to win at club level (top flight league x 2, runner up once; CL winner and runner up; 2 UEFA/Europa cups; domestic cup/league cup; community shield/supercoppa; and Fifa club world cup. And, frankly, he's not had teams near as good as the managers you've mentioned. If he's not top tier he's an arsehair off.

I also think the defensive aspect of his coaching gets overstated. Yes, he likes to establish defensive solidity first but he builds upon that with attack. His Valencia team scythed teams apart. At Liverpool we broke scoring records in the CL and were #1 in goals scored the year we came runner-up. Chelsea are currently #2 in goals scored in the league right now too. I'd agree though that he is more similar to Mancini in that his teams never really seem fluid in attack and are more mechanical.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Didn't the Man City statement talk about wanting to implement a footballing philosophy, or something similar? Hardly seems like they'd go for Rafa if that's the case.

Uppercut

Like usually being a significantly better side? You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I'd beg to differ.
I suspect he mostly means financially. The depth of English football has been steadily eroded for years to improve the standard at the top and putting my own allegiance to one side, I don't think that's a good thing. Reducing the turnover of Premiership clubs is a great way to very quickly make it much worse.