• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Likewise on all counts.

That being said, I can barely remember any individual finals since 1990, so it doesn't really matter that much to me either. Honourable exceptions being Owen's final (2001?) and the West Ham vs Liverpool encounter a few years later.
I think for me it's something to do with 5pm generally being a pap sort of time of day, not really proper afternoon, but not evening either. It's not really early enough for me to blob down and relax for the rest of the day until time for bed, but yet it's at a time where if I was to sit down to watch it, it would effectively rule out me doing anything productive for the rest of the day.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A lot of the complaints about fannying around with the Cup Final is based on tradition - and there's nothing wrong with that. It was the show piece event to end the season. There were two matches in Britain on that day - no amateur or park matches - just the Cup Final and the Scottish Cup Final.
Times change and things have to move on, but it doesn't mean all changes are for the better.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pantilimon dropped....pretty harsh imo. Nothing wrong with playing your best keeper in a match like this, but to have explicitly said on several occasions that Pantilimon would be picked and then u-turn on it is a bit dire.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sam Allardyce has signed a two year contract. Horrible football but nigh on sure of staying in the Premier League for another two years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hate the late kick-off more than anything. Which I suppose is something to do with TV rights.

Seems to be totally random whether the final happens after or before the last game of the league season too, unless I have missed something.
The game had to be today with the Champions League final being on the 25th. UEFA's rules require the venue to be turned over to them 2 weeks in advance.

Edit: you're no longer allowed to have the Cup Final on the same day as the Champions League final either.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The game had to be today with the Champions League final being on the 25th. UEFA's rules require the venue to be turned over to them 2 weeks in advance.

Edit: you're no longer allowed to have the Cup Final on the same day as the Champions League final either.
League 1&2 play off finals are at Wembley next weekend

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahhh Maccer...if he'd gone down that was a penalty and a red, surely. Can't have a go at the lad for staying on his feet and trying to score though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because the Cup Final shouldn't, IMO, be about the money that the FA can make but the two clubs who have made the final. Prioritising TV viewers is exactly why groups like AMF are almost becoming mainstream.
It's funny you say that because the FA has always felt the opposite. Most of the tickets go to grassroots clubs and referees on the grounds that it's and occasion for "the whole football family" rather than just those two clubs.

It's not all about the money, although paying off the new Wembley does mean giving plenty of tickets to sponsors. But as for the rest they could make a lot more money by selling them on the open market than by offering them to people involved with clubs, who tend to mostly just sell them on anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Love how ITV keep saying the FA Cup is all about upsets, then remind everyone watching that there hasn't been an upset in a final for the past 20 years.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've just realised that for the first time ever in over 40 years of watching the Cup Final I'm watching on my own, and what's worse I have an ipad on my lap. This is not how God planned it.