• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nervy last few minutes there. Really believed Bale was going to smash that freekick in.

Come on Arsenal, just have to beat two of the most out of sorts teams in the league now. What could possibly go wrong?....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd be fairly disappointed to be honest. Not necessarily because it would mean missing out on the Champions League (though admittedly, that'd be a downer as well), but because it would really signify just how much the club has fallen over the last decade or so. Granted, the emergence of Chelsea and now City as huge financial forces have made it much more difficult to challenge for 2nd or 3rd, but I think, symbolically at least, it would be really bad to fall outside the top 4. Whether or not they could come back the following year and recapture a top 4 place, if they failed to get it this year, is difficult to predict, but we've seen how Liverpool have sunk well and truly into mediocrity since they failed to qualify for the Champions League. Arsenal's infrastructure and financial organisation probably mean they would handle this sort of eventuality better than a lot of clubs would, but I would rather not find out the hard way.

It'd be particularly bad if it were to happen now, as opposed to last season, too, in my opinion. As at the moment the team is reaching the point where it should be in a position to kick on from the loss of numerous key players over the last few years, and have a real go at challenging for something again. To end up finishing in 5th would really deflate that notion.

But more than anything, missing out on a top 4 spot at the expense of Spurs would be truly stomach churning. I wouldn't be too bothered about finishing behind them in the league per se, but when it's a more or less a race to 4th place between the two sides, losing out to them would just be unspeakably awful. The sooner this little Spurs insurrection is over (i.e. once Bale is sold), the better, for everyone.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that because of coming behind Spurs or making the Champions League though?
Qualifying for the Champion's League is a properly big deal I reckon. Even when you don't feel like the team has much chance of winning it you still really, really look forward to watching them play midweek games against Bayern or Madrid.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Is that because of coming behind Spurs or making the Champions League though?
Nah, I couldn't give a toss about who it is who displaces us, in fact I don't even have a particular disliking for Spurs. I'd be gutted for two reasons really. First, as Sledger alluded to, it would be really bad for the club if we were to miss out. Not only would it mean less money coming it, but it would also make the club less appealing for players to join, which could make it really hard to rebuild. I'm not sure Santi would've left Malaga to play Europa League football at Arsenal for instance. And secondly, because the Champions League has always been my favourite football tournemant and is what I consider to be the pinnacle of the sport I'd be gutted if Arsenal stopped participating. Ever since the age of 7 I've been watching Arsenal on weekday nights with a passion as they played against Europe's best, and while I'd still enjoy the CL without them, it wouldn't be the same.

And of course even though we haven't won a trophy for 8 years I've always been able to argue that we're a consistent club, who have constantly got to the last 16 of Europe for over a decade, while being one of the sounder clubs financially. That line of argument will be rudundent if we finish 5th.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Qualifying for the Champion's League is a properly big deal I reckon. Even when you don't feel like the team has much chance of winning it you still really, really look forward to watching them play midweek games against Bayern or Madrid.
Yeah, I may have underplayed that aspect actually. The Arsenal games I've enjoyed the most and actually really cared about over the last few years have been Champions League games. Beating Roma on penalties, the two home ties against Barcelona, and the away leg against Bayern this year stand out as particular examples.

In fact even going further back, come to think of it. Lehmann saving the Riquelme penalty, Fabregas upshowing Vieira in the game against Juventus, knocking out Milan in Milan, knocking out Real Madrid.

More or less all of the really memorable moments I recall since Arsenal actually won anything have come from Champions League games (all of the moments that are memorable for good reasons anyway, there are plenty of others I would rather forget), apart from the 5-3 spanking of Chelsea last year, that was pretty great also. And Arshavin scoring 4 goals against Liverpool (though otherwise he more or less exclusively would be in the 'rather forget' pile)

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn't really matter who Manure appoint, they'll now have a sackable manager. As far as the foreign owners are concerned if the new man doesn't win the Premier League next year he'll be sacked. If he does win it but goes two years without the Champions League he'll also be sacked.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It doesn't really matter who Manure appoint, they'll now have a sackable manager. As far as the foreign owners are concerned if the new man doesn't win the Premier League next year he'll be sacked. If he does win it but goes two years without the Champions League he'll also be sacked.
I'd laugh if they did, to be honest. It's such a mammoth shift for the club, whoever the new manager is going to be (though I think we all know it's Moyes now), they will require time to be given a crack at it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, I couldn't give a toss about who it is who displaces us, in fact I don't even have a particular disliking for Spurs. I'd be gutted for two reasons really. First, as Sledger alluded to, it would be really bad for the club if we were to miss out. Not only would it mean less money coming it, but it would also make the club less appealing for players to join, which could make it really hard to rebuild. I'm not sure Santi would've left Malaga to play Europa League football at Arsenal for instance. And secondly, because the Champions League has always been my favourite football tournemant and is what I consider to be the pinnacle of the sport I'd be gutted if Arsenal stopped participating. Ever since the age of 7 I've been watching Arsenal on weekday nights with a passion as they played against Europe's best, and while I'd still enjoy the CL without them, it wouldn't be the same.

And of course even though we haven't won a trophy for 8 years I've always been able to argue that we're a consistent club, who have constantly got to the last 16 of Europe for over a decade, while being one of the sounder clubs financially. That line of argument will be rudundent if we finish 5th.
Yeah it was the second reason that you state that I was interested in. Obviously I know how important it is for Arsenal as a club but was not sure how much enthusiasm there actually was, from a fans point of view, for playing in the competition itself. Clearly for you and Sledger it is still there which I can understand, there is just not really an equivalent as a lower league fan.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'd laugh if they did, to be honest. It's such a mammoth shift for the club, whoever the new manager is going to be (though I think we all know it's Moyes now), they will require time to be given a crack at it.
They might require time but they won't get it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think I'd rather Arsenal missed out on Europe altogether than ended up in the Europa League too, come to think of it. I suppose this is the result of me being spoiled by having Champions League for so long, but the prospect of not only missing out on the best competition there is, but having to play in what is truly, and very obviously, a second-rate tournament is just grim. It'd almost be like a punishment for failing to come 4th.

I'm aware this is a snobbish attitude to take, but my gripe is more with the Europa League itself (and how rubbish it is), rather than being outraged from within my ivory tower that Arsenal might have to contemplate playing in it. Just don't think the players/coaches/fans of teams who genuinely aspire to compete in the Champions League are at all enthused at the prospect of playing in it, and that really comes across in the matches. It's original purpose was obviously to give something to the midtable clubs to aim for, but these days it just sweeps up all the teams that fail in the Champions League, most of whom can't be arsed with it.

Last edited:

Pothas

I think I'd rather Arsenal missed out on Europe altogether than ended up in the Europa League too, come to think of it. I suppose this is the result of me being spoiled by having Champions League for so long, but the prospect of not only missing out on the best competition there is, but having to play in what is truly, and very obviously, a second-rate tournament is just grim. It'd almost be like a punishment for failing to come 4th.

I'm aware this is a snobbish attitude to take, but my gripe is more with the Europa League itself (and how rubbish it is), rather than being outraged from within my ivory tower that Arsenal might have to contemplate playing in it. Just don't think the players/coaches/fans of teams who genuinely aspire to compete in the Champions League are at all enthused at the prospect of playing in it, and that really comes across in the matches.
I actually have no problem with the football played in the Europa League. The issue is that it is on a Thursday so you have already watched Champions League games the previous two days, so I can never be bothered to watch it. Is rather like having an ODI series after the tests. Think it would better if they went back to the straight knockout all the way through though.

Pothas

Well, you may be right, but if the owners can't see the fact that it's not just that the new man should get ample time, but actually needsit, then they are asking for trouble.
It will be interesting to see what sort of owners they are; now that they will have a manager that is not untouchable, I don’t expect them to do anything ridiculous though. They should quite clearly be in contention for winning the league at the very least though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually have no problem with the football played in the Europa League. The issue is that it is on a Thursday so you have already watched Champions League games the previous two days, so I can never be bothered to watch it. Is rather like having an ODI series after the tests. Think it would better if they went back to the straight knockout all the way through though.
I think that's right actually, there is something very anti-climactic about it which definitely doesn't help. I don't think the teams who go out of the Champions League in the group stages should be allowed in either.

Last edited:

Pothas

I think that's right actually, there is something very anti-climactic about it which definitely doesn't help. I don't think the teams who go out of the Champions League in the group stages shouldn't be allowed in either.
Yeah that has always been a nonsense.

Jarquis

Europa League has actually been a very good standard in recent years but still, nothing in comparison to the CL. Would be pretty distraught if Arsenal don't finish top 4.
Literally have no idea exactly how I'd react but it would not be good.
05/06 was a pretty big deal for me (first season I can remember where we didn't finish in the top 2) so to drop out of the CL altogether is unthinkable.