• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not a lot of quality in that game, neither side deserved the win. So little created in the last 20 minutes or so considering how much space opened up.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, draw definitely a fair result. Quite an enjoyable watch though, I thought. Very tense at least, I think my heartbeat has only just returned to normal.

Podolski might be lacking on match fitness, but I thought today was a pretty strong indication that he's not good enough to play up front on his own, not against good sides at least. Looked off the pace for most of the match, and ponderous in possession, couldn't hold it up at all. Arsenal on the whole were pretty good though I thought, just lacked incision and a quality forward...if only they had a player like Van Persie....

Also, further evidence to my claim that Arsenal do not concede good goals. Yet another ****ty goal conceded directly from a horrible error ffs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They are but I can live with them in the promotion race, though I like the idea of promotion/relegation play-offs like when they were first launched and indeed as I believe you still have in Scotland?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They are but I can live with them in the promotion race, though I like the idea of promotion/relegation play-offs like when they were first launched and indeed as I believe you still have in Scotland?
They're ****ing daft in Scotland because there's an enormous difference between the First Division (teams are mostly full time) and Second Division (all part-time).

They'd also be farcical between the Premier League and the Championship.

I just hate the idea that a 36 game season (or in England, 46) all essentially counts for nothing and promotion is decided on the basis of 3 games.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In play-offs I'd prefer the side who comes 3rd to get a bigger advantage over the side that comes 6th. I know 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th, but I think the side that finishes 6th should have to win more games than the side who finishes 3rd. I.e. Brentford should have to **** up to not get through the play-offs, instead of it just being one game that decides whether they or Swindon get to the play-off final.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Simple alternative structure...

5th v 6th
4th v Winner
3rd v Winner

To be honest, we all know they're coming, we better get on with it. Without them some seasons would be deader than A-Line flares with pockets in the knees by March

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Play-Off's are a money making bunion. All this rubbish about keeping the season open. If you work hard enough and put together a good enough side your season stays open, if you don't it should be tough ****.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If there are a lot of teams with nothing to play for then it just transfers the luck element into which teams you play towards the end. Ultimately the difference between getting promoted and not getting promoted generally comes down to the odd game and luck either way.

Pothas

I hate the play-offs and always will. We have lost out in them after coming 3rd a fair few times, hell in 1995 we came 2nd and lost in them, but as Pickup says we all know they are there and we have to deal with them. Definitely agree with the suggestion that the team that comes 3rd should get more of an advantage though, would still get the benefit of keeping the division open but give more of a reward for the teams that finish higher up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To be honest, we all know they're coming, we better get on with it. Without them some seasons would be deader than A-Line flares with pockets in the knees by March
True, but I hate the idea that a team who's finished 3rd over 46 games still has to play 3 games against teams who didn't do as well as they did in order to win promotion.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, draw definitely a fair result. Quite an enjoyable watch though, I thought. Very tense at least, I think my heartbeat has only just returned to normal.

Podolski might be lacking on match fitness, but I thought today was a pretty strong indication that he's not good enough to play up front on his own, not against good sides at least. Looked off the pace for most of the match, and ponderous in possession, couldn't hold it up at all. Arsenal on the whole were pretty good though I thought, just lacked incision and a quality forward...if only they had a player like Van Persie....

Also, further evidence to my claim that Arsenal do not concede good goals. Yet another ****ty goal conceded directly from a horrible error ffs.
I thought they were quite poor. They did well to control parts of the game, especially at the start and the end, and they defended fairly well despite looking very vulnerable to crosses. But they created so little with plenty of good possession and gifted United a goal. It's not a terrible result but given how badly United played and the fact that they got a couple of big officiating mistakes in their favour it really has to go down as two points dropped.

grecian

The Play-Off's are a money making bunion. All this rubbish about keeping the season open. If you work hard enough and put together a good enough side your season stays open, if you don't it should be tough ****.
Couldn't disagree more. They're not remotely fair, but many clubs would have gone out of business without them. Personally would rather teams based in local communities stay alive even if they're not doing brilliantly. This is an entertainment, so keeping matches open is a good thing IMHO.

Fail to see how money-making for lower league clubs is a bad thing. It's not as if there's any prize money, or a particularly big cut of Sky money on offer, in the basements

Anyway isn't there a thread which has all these arguments, may be better to resurrect that. I doubt anyones views have changed, they rarely do despite millions of posts on Discussion forums.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really surprising, would have been a laugh if Suarez had won it though.

23 seems a bit old for young player of the year award.
Fair enough IMO. With three such outstanding candidates it was always going to be small margins separating them. In the end Bale was enjoying an insane run of form during the voting period, Van Persie was going through his drought, and Suarez is a ****.

Hard to argue particularly strongly against anyone in the Team of the Year either - De Gea possibly the biggest surprise as I expected Lloris or Begovic to get the 'keeping spot, but there aren't any really contentious selections or omissions IMO.