• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it would but they have an excellent chance, Sheffield United are rubbish and Swindon been on poor form.

Pothas

Yeah semi-finals happen over bank holiday weekend and then a massive wait until May 19th for the final.

grecian

If Yeovil go up, they'll be the first team who went up on automatic promotion from the conference, to make the Championship. Apart from teams that were relegated in the same way.

Hasn't really been a great way of making strong teams for our League. Yeovil always have done things the right way though, and have a history and decent catchment area, so wouldn't be surprised if it was them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah semi-finals happen over bank holiday weekend and then a massive wait until May 19th for the final.
Yeah I have the final written in a calendar. Am at a wedding the day before and was dreading the early journey, what I would give to have to do it though.

:cry:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Yeovil go up, they'll be the first team who went up on automatic promotion from the conference, to make the Championship. Apart from teams that were relegated in the same way.

Hasn't really been a great way of making strong teams for our League. Yeovil always have done things the right way though, and have a history and decent catchment area, so wouldn't be surprised if it was them.
So the likes of Doncaster etc dont count as they went from the league to the conference - is that what you mean?

Bizarre to think that Yeovil could be in the championship and meanwhile Stockport County will be playing in the Conference North.

Funny old game etc etc

grecian

So the likes of Doncaster etc dont count as they went from the league to the conference - is that what you mean?

Bizarre to think that Yeovil could be in the championship and meanwhile Stockport County will be playing in the Conference North.

Funny old game etc etc
Yeah, it's a tad convoluted I'll admit. Yet it does show that football clubs are very much long-standing parts of their community. It's very hard to create that from little, you just need to look at the crowds in Division 4 of the traditionally non-league outfits.

It's particularly weird as often one of promoted the teams will go straight up again, Crawley last year, and possibly Burton this year.

BTW this doesn't mean I'm against the system, in fact I'd not mind if it was 3up 3down. Because the crowds at the bottom remains higher, and the competitive nature of games will only help.

I remember the days before auto-relegation and play-offs, and about two-third aways through the season, most matches meant little. Dire crowds, dire matches.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aye, before my time but we fell into the 4th a few times around then and had to be re-elected, also saw our lowest ever gates around the 1,000 mark. If we went down now I doubt we'd see much of a hit to our crowds, at least not for a few years. When we came down to this division our crowds actually went up but ever since Brian Little failed to get promotion despite being backed to the hilt, we've seen them dwindle.

I digress, but it is as you say pretty cmoon for teams to bounce up to League One quite quickly. Stevenage weren't in League Two long either I don't think? Surprises me really therefore that Wimbledon have struggled this season.

Pothas

Yeah teams seem to get to league one quite quickly but then tend to fall back down again, Rusdem and Diamonds got to league one very briefly didn't they? Hope Crawley go the same way.

I hate losing to Yeovil and we always bloody do but would prefer them to go up rather than Sheffield United or Swindon, although the those two are more likely be a threat next season.

Pothas

Just seen the Brentford penalty miss. Grim. Wild effort.
Sound when it hit the bar was sickening.

Coupling of inches away from being lauded as an emphatic fInish but you have got to hit the target, thier keeper did not look like he was going to pull off a great save.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sound when it hit the bar was sickening.

Coupling of inches away from being lauded as an emphatic fInish but you have got to hit the target, thier keeper did not look like he was going to pull off a great save.
Yeah, that was the exact impression I got when I watched the video just now. His body language suggested he was totally deflated and resigned to picking the ball out of the back of the net, understandably so.

It was the sort of penalty that you basically just needed to hit firmly and on target, and unless you hit in straight at the keeper you'd have scored. No idea why Trotta thought it was appropriate to try and smash it into the roof of the net. One suspects he saw the chance to make himself the hero and got ahead of himself. Awful scenes.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Lots of mobile phone footage floating around of the ending. It looks like it was also broadcast live from the stadium on Sky Sports Soccer Saturday. Even Jeff Stelling almost passed out.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stinks that playoff semis after a 46 game season are played over 3-5 days and a seasons work can go up in smoke thanks to one or two knocks to key players. Always thought this but tv rules again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is that a TV thing? Can't really think why it would be.
To an extent yeah, the play-off dates are dictated by Sky since they started showing each game, but thinking back to our regular play-off appearances in the 90s it was always the weekend after the season finished and then the following midweek. Thankfully for L1&2 clubs, this season's Championship POs are a little later meaning that the schedule is a bit more logical.