• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reina should also be up before a panel, or court for his "People in England are treating him different because he is Uruguayan" comment.

That sort of baseless mudslinging shouldn't be allowed in any walk of life. Justify it or face legal proceedings.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's probably fortunate he said "people in England", as opposed to "The FA" or a specific referee or referees, otherwise he'd be in hot water.

social

Reina should also be up before a panel, or court for his "People in England are treating him different because he is Uruguayan" comment.

That sort of baseless mudslinging shouldn't be allowed in any walk of life. Justify it or face legal proceedings.
Nothing makes my blood boil as much as people playing the race card

The guy is a serial offender ffs and his nationality is irrelevant

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's said some really dumb stuff since taking on the Liverpool job, but I think his little outburst this afternoon really does take the biscuit. It's in the Kenny Dalglish bracket of direness. Liverpool really must have a shocking PR team.

Eds

International Debutant
We've actually just hired a new Director of Communications after the Jen Chang fiasco (worth a Google for those who'd like a laugh). Terrible stuff.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
We've actually just hired a new Director of Communications after the Jen Chang fiasco (worth a Google for those who'd like a laugh). Terrible stuff.
:laugh: Had missed this, pretty funny stuff.

Seems like a cursed position. But then again, the prospects for anyone working in that role are not good, given the kind of people they have to work with.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is there anyone who isn't a Liverpool fan who thinks 10 games is excessive?

Seems just about spot-on to me.
I don't think it's excessive per se, in fact it's probably abou right. What does irritate me, and I believe I may have said this when Suarez got his racism ban, is that potentially career ending tackles still seem to hover between the 3 and 5 match area. I'd like to see them given the same kind of scrutiny. But the Suarez thing is separate to that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's that old whore "intent", isn't it?

Some clodhopping thug like Shawcross breaks a leg by going over the top studs first and "he's not that kind of lad, Brian." When Suarez bites someone it's pretty hard to claim his mouth slipped.

Intent is so hard to prove. Same kinda deal with beamers in cricket, actually. I personally believe most are bowled deliberately; unless the bowler's attempting a slower ball or happens to be called Mitchell Johnson or Steve Harmison it stretches credulity they can miss their length by thirty yards. Yet it's always "Soz, hand slipped"

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Oh FFS, the 2 incidents are NOT THE ****ING SAME THING.

There's so many differences between them that you can't compare them. With Scaly here, would be absolutely hilarious if they appealed and it were considered frivolous.
The differences compound to make Suarez's case even stronger. As was explained; that they didn't see Defoe's bite as not worthy of more than the 3 game suspension means Suarez's tripled (!) sentence makes even less sense.

You've argued that the previous history is reason enough to triple the ban length. What is ironic is that Suarez's 7 games previous (1 which was suspended) was 7 because he had a suspended sentence previously which added onto the bite charge - which itself was just a 4 match ban.

The reality is no one here can calculate exactly, and on which rules, the FA came to 10 and yet claim that 10 is 'just right'. :laugh:.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

The differences compound to make Suarez's case even stronger. As was explained; that they didn't see Defoe's bite as not worthy of more than the 3 game suspension means Suarez's tripled (!) sentence makes even less sense.

You've argued that the previous history is reason enough to triple the ban length. What is ironic is that Suarez's 7 games previous (1 which was suspended) was 7 because he had a suspended sentence previously which added onto the bite charge - which itself was just a 4 match ban.

The reality is no one here can calculate exactly, and on which rules, the FA came to 10 and yet claim that 10 is 'just right'. :laugh:.
Err for the millionth time Suarez's bite in itself is far worse than Defoe's. Then you have all the mitigating factors like Suarez being a repeat offending ****. And finally whether Defoe's punishment was right or wrong really doesn't matter when the decision is how long the poor persecuted Uruguayan gets banned for, not can we look at someone who may have gotten off lightly and use that as a barometer.

The nutcase has not been harshly treated by any sensible measure.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure how dear old Brendon came to the conclusion that the 10 game ban was based on the man and not the offence. If you banned Suarez based his individual conduct on the football field he'd be banned for life.