• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
There was actually a hilarious comment on the Guardian blog saying "that is a sign of affection in Uruguay"...:laugh:

What can you say? I mean, I even find it hard to be pissed off at him because I know better than to expect better from him. He's just a nutter. He literally looks for every advantage he can gain in a football match...even if it doesn't make any sense!

LFC need Suarez the player far more than they need Suarez the ambassador. Ayre came out saying we're not getting rid as well. So, I just hope he gets to at least start next year in the first game. :laugh:
The thing about Suarez as well is that, certainly from what I've heard and read, he's apparently a really good bloke off the field - it's not as though he's like Keano or Barton who seem to be complete ****s 100% of the time.

He just seems to have one of he worst cases of white line fever I've ever seen.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
A little Norwegian kid to be born in September is apparently going to be named Robin van <surname retracted>.

Manchester United fans.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't say I agree. Regardless of where you stand on biting v a kick to the face, attacking someone in the crowd is infinitely more despicable than an on-pitch assault of an opponent.
Suarez's attack was completely unprovoked, though. It's surely much worse to attack someone randomly than to attack someone that's screaming abuse at you?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't understand his motivation in doing it really, what does he gain out of it? He's moving to a better team, to an extent, but he's likely to play far less. Meh I dunno. So weird to me.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
2 million more per year? Also, he'd get a better shot at the national team in a Bayern side.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Clearly a desperation move to appease the fans who'll be angry when the news breaks that they've already agreed to sell Kroos and Schweinsteiger to United.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
2 million more per year? Also, he'd get a better shot at the national team in a Bayern side.
I don't profess to know a lot about Dortmund's finances, but I imagine they could get much closer than two million per year difference if they wanted to. Would he really, though? What if he starts slowly and spends half of Bayern's games warming the bench? Dortmund he'd start every game he was fit enough to. If Dortmund really can't afford to pay him anything close then fair enough, but it's a hell of a risk.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't the first one saying that Liverpool need lots of other stuff to happen in addition to Suarez staying to challenge for fourth?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
:laugh: Is this post a joke? It's manly to fly kick someone because he said some mean things about you? The "manly" thing to do would be to grow up and get on with the game because that random **** in the crowd means nothing to you.
Probably helpful you reply to what I posted rather than the post you seem to have imagined I made.

If you'll look closely I called Cantona's action "indefensible" and said he "squared up like a man", drawing what I thought was an obvious contrast to the sneaky nature of Suarez biting his opponent, not that Cantona's action was "manly".

Oh, and FYI, he'd have struggled to get on with the game as he'd already been shown a red card.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clearly a desperation move to appease the fans who'll be angry when the news breaks that they've already agreed to sell Kroos and Schweinsteiger to United.
I would be deeply upset if either of those things happened, they are not though so its ok.

Pothas

Anyway teams anounced for tonight, big evening for Bartra.

No Villa for Barca. but plenty of pace, it is unlikely but it would be really interesting to see them playing on the break. Would have played Tello myself though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Probably helpful you reply to what I posted rather than the post you seem to have imagined I made.

If you'll look closely I called Cantona's action "indefensible" and said he "squared up like a man", drawing what I thought was an obvious contrast to the sneaky nature of Suarez biting his opponent, not that Cantona's action was "manly".

Oh, and FYI, he'd have struggled to get on with the game as he'd already been shown a red card.
I've used this analogy before, but for me the kick into the crowd is comparable to stealing someone's money at gun point, whereas the biting is akin to stealing an old lady's money through deceit and trickery. Both acts are deplorable, but there's a difference in the level of their integrity, and "honesty" if you will.

Pothas

The Cantona incident was on a member of the public though, which makes it worse in someways. Football players are violent towards each other all the time on the pitch, it just his method of violence is so ****ing wierd. Personally I find the whole incident kind of amusing rather than unspeakably awful.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Cantona incident was on a member of the public though, which makes it worse in someways. Football players are violent towards each other all the time on the pitch, it just his method of violence is so ****ing wierd. Personally I find the whole incident kind of amusing rather than unspeakably awful.
I think the difference in the nature of the acts actually makes them quite hard to compare, more so than the fact that the kick was directed at a spectator, and the bite at another player. I really am somewhat surprised the police didn't decide to take this one any further though, people convicted of these types of assault where there's a chance of an exchange of bodily fluids (e.g. spitting/biting) usually have the book thrown at them when it comes to sentencing. And as I said previously, it's an act that falls well outside the consent to harm anyone agree to when undertaking an organised sporting activity.