• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Levy isn't well known for his re-investing. Even if he does, 3 or 4 new players into a team isn't a recipe for instant success. Arsenal (or any of those teams, for that matter) don't have to fall away dramatically for Liverpool to challenge them. I never said they would definitely finish above them, just that if they sell Suarez, they have absolutely no hope of challenging them.
Their chances of catching them aren't just reliant on not selling Suarez though, they won't just have to buy, but buy well, and hope that their signings are better than those of the teams above them, relatively speaking.

At the moment, I think there's a pretty significant gulf in quality between Liverpool and the top 5. I'm aware you're not necessarily saying otherwise btw, I'm just emphasising how in my opinion Liverpool have been totally carried by Suarez, and to a lesser extent Gerrard, for the last two years. Despite most players in the squad improving, there's no denying that there's still a load of dross in the side, and plenty of those who are past their peak and on their way out, or just on the decline generally.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agree. Spurs will get **** loads for Bale though surley? Depends how much of it Levy is willing to spend and if they make the champions league or not, but you would imagine they would be able to bring in 3 or 4 good players.
Possibly not, it depends who comes available. All of the teams above them have money too. If they don't get CL football they'll only get players that the teams they're trying to compete with didn't want.

I'm not sure Bale is leaving anyway. There's lots of time left on his contract so the club don't need to let go this summer and he hasn't given any indication that he wants away. You tend to hear something about it if there's a move being planned for players like Bale. Maybe he's waiting to see if they make the CL, if they do I can't see him leaving until the summer after at the earliest.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Possibly not, it depends who comes available. All of the teams above them have money too. If they don't get CL football they'll only get players that the teams they're trying to compete with didn't want.

I'm not sure Bale is leaving anyway. There's lots of time left on his contract so the club don't need to let go this summer and he hasn't given any indication that he wants away. You tend to hear something about it if there's a move being planned for players like Bale. Maybe he's waiting to see if they make the CL, if they do I can't see him leaving until the summer after at the earliest.
Yeah, I am not convinced he is either. I am not sure who has the money or is willing to pay for him at this stage. We can be sure that if he does go it will be for an awful lot though.

No doubt all the wild speculation will be underway soon enough, Falcao to United is an interesting one.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You reckon it's as bad as what Cantona did?

I'd be inclined to agree with Pothas - 10 games seems about right.
Worse, actually.

Cantona was reacting to being abused; indefensible, yes, but the Palace fan who was having a go was, by all accounts, a grade A scumbag and who didn't seem to want to know when the big Frenchman got physical. There's obviously no way he should done what he did, but he at least squared up like a man.

Biting someone is just snide and cowardly. As Brain Moore said on his Twatter feed, in rugby union a second biting offence has a 24 week tariff.

Seems fair to me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's no way Bale is at Spurs next season, surely, so there's a spot opening chance (not guaranteed of course). I don't see Chelsea being much worse next season but maybe Arsenal, unpredictable and fragile. In any case, if they keep Suarez and buy 1 or 2 good players in midfield/defence they could give it a run. Without him, they're **** on a stick.
Unless Man City are planning on signing him who is Bale going to?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I was on a train to London coming back from a funeral tonight so missed the game but that result has certainly picked up the mood. So happy for the lads, such a great response after the way we lost it last season.

And **** me, I've just seen Van Persie's second goal - Jesus Christ. Goal of the season.

Campeones!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Much less important, but RVP has probably clinched the Golden Boot tonight by overtaking Suarez, given that the sweet little Uruguayan shouldn't play again this season.

Interesting comment from Sir Alex in his interview just now: "arguably, the way he's looking, he could be our best ever player."

The player he was talking about? Phil Jones.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Gary Neville speaking sense again. Still hurts to say that, but I'm getting used to it, haha.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Worse, actually.

Cantona was reacting to being abused; indefensible, yes, but the Palace fan who was having a go was, by all accounts, a grade A scumbag and who didn't seem to want to know when the big Frenchman got physical. There's obviously no way he should done what he did, but he at least squared up like a man.
:laugh: Is this post a joke? It's manly to fly kick someone because he said some mean things about you? The "manly" thing to do would be to grow up and get on with the game because that random **** in the crowd means nothing to you.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Worse, actually.

Biting someone is just snide and cowardly. As Brain Moore said on his Twatter feed, in rugby union a second biting offence has a 24 week tariff.

Seems fair to me.
Can't say I agree. Regardless of where you stand on biting v a kick to the face, attacking someone in the crowd is infinitely more despicable than an on-pitch assault of an opponent.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Suarez has apparently issued a full apology for his "inexcusable behaviour" both informally on Twitter and formally through a club statement so there can be no defence of bad camera angle or misunderstanding or that's-just-how-we-do-it-in-Uruguay.

It would seem that the only remaining question is the length of the ban.
There was actually a hilarious comment on the Guardian blog saying "that is a sign of affection in Uruguay"...:laugh:

What can you say? I mean, I even find it hard to be pissed off at him because I know better than to expect better from him. He's just a nutter. He literally looks for every advantage he can gain in a football match...even if it doesn't make any sense!

LFC need Suarez the player far more than they need Suarez the ambassador. Ayre came out saying we're not getting rid as well. So, I just hope he gets to at least start next year in the first game. :laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Can't say I agree. Regardless of where you stand on biting v a kick to the face, attacking someone in the crowd is infinitely more despicable than an on-pitch assault of an opponent.
Yeh, they're different hemispheres of bad. The lifeblood of the sport are the fans and that is why Cantona got punished so badly.