Page 183 of 343 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Wenger was also on about the possibility of finishing 2nd just over a week ago. Now he's saying finishing in the top 4 is difficult.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Giggs, a great player, but definitely being overrated due to longevity. I don't think Giggs was ever considered the standout player in the league or even really in contention (top 3). I don't think there was even a time he was the best player in his own team. And during his youth the premier league was quite a way behind the rest of Europe. I'd definitely say Bale right now is getting plaudits Giggs never really got at a similar age.

He should have won twice. He won the PFA award for all players, yet missed out on the youth PFA award to Fabregas, which is a bit stupid.
    Well you'd be wrong.

Giggs was 23 when he scored that goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup, by which point he'd been one of the top players at the top club in the country for 7 years.

Honestly, you'd be better off not posting in this thread, you embarass yourself everytime your fingers hit your keyboard.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Well you'd be wrong.

Giggs was 23 when he scored that goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup, by which point he'd been one of the top players at the top club in the country for 7 years.
    One of the top players for one of the top teams in the country isn't the standard. One of the best players of the league, overall, is the standard. I even put in 'top 3' to save you the confusion. He wasn't then, and never has been.

Great player overall, a long and decorated career; but his talent didn't peak that high. Gareth Bale on the other hand has been there already - was nominated/won for PFA/FWA POTY before and is a contender again this year.

Honestly, you'd be better off not posting in this thread, you embarass yourself everytime your fingers hit your keyboard.
    You'd be better off not posting at all. You're an embarrassment regardless of when/where/if you type.
    Last edited by Ikki; 04-03-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Wenger has come out and admitted that attempting to play offside was a bad call tbh.

Should have thought that would have been obvious before kick off though really.
    It's not a bad tactic; it's just not tactic you just decide upon before the game. You need your defensive line very well drilled.

I actually think Arsenal are a very good team and will get better. Like Liverpool they lack concentration and a couple of players in certain positions that will greatly impact the team. IMO you're badly missing a world-class CB and a forward that will give you 17-20 league goals.

When it clicks for Arsenal they are a brilliant team. Liverpool have lost games this season but I don't remember being so embarrassed against a side like the first leg of the season against Arsenal.

Giggs not one of the top 3 players in the league.

Which year?

93/94.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    When it clicks for Arsenal they are a brilliant team. Liverpool have lost games this season but I don't remember being so embarrassed against a side like the first leg of the season against Arsenal.
    I'd completely forgotten about that game. Makes yesterday's tactics even more bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

93/94.
    I love how you pick one of his best earlier seasons, based on the goals scored.

That United team with 3 recent PFA POTYs (Cantona 1993/1994; Pallister 1991/1992; and Hughes 1990/1991)? Where Keane had broke into the United side after coming for the British transfer record? Ince FFS, when he was actually good? Schmeichel?

It is debatable that he was even top 3 in his own team. Giggs wasn't even picked for the PFA team of the year. A team which had 4 United players (Pallister, Irwin, Ince and Cantona).
    Last edited by Ikki; 04-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.

I always like to see who makes PFA Team of the Year and find it interesting but I'd not necessarily consider it an irrefutable guide. Cantona only made it that once (and not for his 95/96 season), Bergkamp also just once - in his 11 years in English football - and Zola never made it at all. Andy Cole scored 34 League goals in that 93/94 season and didn't make the Team of the Year.

That being said, Giggsy has made the Team of the Year plenty of times even if not that particular season so he's been at least the best in his position often enough.
    Last edited by The Sean; 04-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    For me Giggs was better than Bale. We need to remember that Bale is a shining light in a team that has won bugger all not a brilliant part of the team that has dominated English football for the last 20 years.

One thing to say, should Bale win player of the year when Michu has had just as big an impact on his team and actually helped his team to win silverware and that doesn't even include Sewer Rat and RVP?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Well you'd be wrong.

No he wasn't. That goal was in 1999. He would have been about 26/27 then wouldn't he?

EDIT - 25 apparently. Still incredible, mind. Felt like he'd been around forever, but then again he had been the whole time I'd been following the sport.
    Last edited by GIMH; 04-03-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Who cares anyway? Could not give a **** about individual awards in Football, is a team sport.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It's a **** sport is what it is, when are the Ashes?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    It's a **** sport is what it is, when are the Ashes?
    It could be a great sport come 9.30 tomorow night, or yeah it could be a bloody awful one.

Thread Information