• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
QPR and Reading both going out with a whimper it seems, and Stoke's win means they're disappointingly close to being safe.

Come on you Bees.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wigan v Villa on last day looks a game and a half.

Whatever you think of Di Canio he has sorted out a sinking ship, be fascinating how he goes next year.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big missed opportunity, never really looked like scoring in the second half.

Still, beat Doncaster next weekend and we are up.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Assuming the whites beat Bournemouth 7-0 (why wouldn't you assume that) then a win takes you up as champions

Still can't quite believe the way out season has ended

grecian

I've always loved di-canio, the man is so opposite politically to anything I believe in, but footballing-wise, he's pretty much my ideal, technically brilliant, and incredibly passionate.

Also entertains in every way.

Uppercut

Yeah for all his faults I'd have to say I prefer him to maybe 80% of managers. I'd rather live in the flat above Brian McDermott but for entertainment he just can't compete.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Though Sunderland have unquestionably got his appointment right, I'd be surprised if this works out particularly well over the long term. Or, rather, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by this time next year.

Firing up the team and all this bravado is one thing, but it'll be interesting to see if he's got much by way of tactics and nous in the transfer market.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's close to it, but he's not it. Its Gerrard. Carrick does the bare minimum what Gerrard does in terms of keeping tempo, being the passing fulcrum; but does not come within a country mile of Gerrard in terms of actually creating chances, assists and scoring. Even though they play the same position and role.

I remember this was discussed a few pages back but Gerrard simply never gets rated properly when his role has been primarily to distribute the ball. To put Gerrard's season in context; he's only slightly worse than Mata in terms of contributing to goals and creating chances, despite playing a very deep role, yet still manages to pass at a similar accuracy clip as a Carrick even though he has to force the issue at times because he has creative burden of the team. In fact, the only thing Carrick does distinctly superior to Gerrard is pass more in volume (Liverpool play a double pivot at times which keeps Gerrard's numbers down) and they have basically similar defensive contribution as well.

This was actually one of Gerrard's best seasons, he hasn't missed a minute of football in the premier league either. For me this is just confirmation of the previous discussion - unless Gerrard has a blinder of a game the neutrals rarely notice now.

TBF, I also think Yaya and Fellaini (even though at times he played further up) were better too. Carrick is there largely on the merit of his team's position IMO - not that he hasn't had a fine season but not that fine of a season. As I said before, I was surprised Cazorla didn't make it because he's basically Mata except even when he doesn't score or assist he tends to boss the game. Arteta has also been brilliant for the majority of the time.

Pothas

Though Sunderland have unquestionably got his appointment right, I'd be surprised if this works out particularly well over the long term. Or, rather, I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by this time next year.

Firing up the team and all this bravado is one thing, but it'll be interesting to see if he's got much by way of tactics and nous in the transfer market.
O’Neill started really well too lets not forget, think Bruce started ok as well, seems the Sunderland way.

flibbertyjibber

No is the answer to that. He had a huge budget at Swindle and likes tapping up players too.

Uppercut

He's not been doing his job at all at the back, not a coincidence that all of Spurs' best chances have come down his side.

Big difference in class in this game though, Citeh have come good just as Spurs have fallen apart. Reckon it'll finish 2-0.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
City have shut down Bale quite well, and thus Spurs are a moderate to low threat. Bet they're wishing they hadn't let Townsend go out on loan tbh, they're badly short on width.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tom Huddlestone a bit lucky to only get a yellow for that, surely? Seem to remember Vieira being shown a straight red for something similar in the Van Nistelrooy penalty miss game.