• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's been very close to it this season IMO.
He's close to it, but he's not it. Its Gerrard. Carrick does the bare minimum what Gerrard does in terms of keeping tempo, being the passing fulcrum; but does not come within a country mile of Gerrard in terms of actually creating chances, assists and scoring. Even though they play the same position and role.

I remember this was discussed a few pages back but Gerrard simply never gets rated properly when his role has been primarily to distribute the ball. To put Gerrard's season in context; he's only slightly worse than Mata in terms of contributing to goals and creating chances, despite playing a very deep role, yet still manages to pass at a similar accuracy clip as a Carrick even though he has to force the issue at times because he has creative burden of the team. In fact, the only thing Carrick does distinctly superior to Gerrard is pass more in volume (Liverpool play a double pivot at times which keeps Gerrard's numbers down) and they have basically similar defensive contribution as well.

This was actually one of Gerrard's best seasons, he hasn't missed a minute of football in the premier league either. For me this is just confirmation of the previous discussion - unless Gerrard has a blinder of a game the neutrals rarely notice now.

TBF, I also think Yaya and Fellaini (even though at times he played further up) were better too. Carrick is there largely on the merit of his team's position IMO - not that he hasn't had a fine season but not that fine of a season. As I said before, I was surprised Cazorla didn't make it because he's basically Mata except even when he doesn't score or assist he tends to boss the game. Arteta has also been brilliant for the majority of the time.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The top 6 doesn't have a defender in there but I think Vertonghen had a very good case. Brilliant player either at CB or LB.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Would think Nastasic, Rafael and Davies have far better shouts for YPOTY than Wilshere and Welbeck. Surprised Michu didn't make it over Hazard for POTY also.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blimey, so with Suarez who is apparently the best player in the league by a long way and Gerrard who is the best midfielder in the league having his best season, Liverpool must be clinching the league this weekend then?

What do you mean, they're not even going to make it into the Europa League by a long way?

Either that or Ikki is spouting bollocks?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's just been the stand-out midfielder in a mid-table club. Another Schneiderlin or Yacub. They might have been better than Carrick but no one can really judge because no one watches enough of their completely inconsequential games to tell.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Suarez the second best player in the league this season for mine (behind RvP) and Gerrard's had his best season in the last 4 years probably. But those two aside, we really haven't shown any consistent quality.

The best teams have a quality squad, and while Carrick is a clear beneficiary of one, he is definitely underrated, doing all the little (and hard) things extremely well. Consistent quality every week (except when he was playing centre back, haha). The quintessential team player really.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You might say the United squad are the beneficiaries of having Carrick amongst them tbh, since the team invariably performs better when he is in it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Looking like a bad day for Wigan, this.

Also, Arsenal in danger of screwing up as well, sounds like they have taken their foot well off the gas in the second half.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is a fresh incident, from today. Seems like he'll be doing it every time Sunderland score
Haha oh right. Well, no doubt he is an attention seeker imo, but at the same time, his passion does seem to be genuine. Either way, he's done a good job of taking the media attention away from the Sunderland squad and placing it all on himself, which seems to have done wonders for their confidence and performances.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Looks like it will be a straight shootout between Wigan and Villa for the last relegation space, then. The last game of the season when they play each other could be a right hoot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Go on Brentford. Massive opportunity for you lot, and hopefully we can help you next week as well.