Page 177 of 343 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Rafa
    The atmosphere at Chelsea's next game should be pretty poisonous. I'm surprised that he isn't sufficiently thick-skinned to smile and think of the pay-cheque though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    The atmosphere at Chelsea's next game should be pretty poisonous. I'm surprised that he isn't sufficiently thick-skinned to smile and think of the pay-cheque though.
    His contract lasts 3 months, he's fed up with the fans and feels let down by the club. He gets his money regardless of whether he lasts until the end of the season or gets sacked today. Why shouldn't he lob a few grenades in the direction of the fans?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Bale's yet to really prove himself at the very top level.
    I suppose that's one thing he'll have in common with Best - he'll never have the chance to shine in a world cup or euro championship. Ditto Giggs of course.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    He's obviously just thought "ah **** it", I suspect.

Would love it if this is just an elaborate troll, and that he only took on the job in the first place to piss off the Chelsea fans even more.

In any case, as Furball has said, I doubt he really gives two hoots at this stage. He's been treated pretty badly by the fans and by the board, now he's getting his own back a bit. In fairness to him, though his rant is pretty extraordinary, I can't really disagree with a lot of what he's said.

I mean, labeling a manager as an "interim" is just asking for trouble. And he's right about the fans too. Granted, they don't like him, that's painfully obvious, but as he's rightly pointed out, he'll be gone by the end of the year regardless, so may as well just lump it and try and support the team.

The whole situation is just hilariously great though, what a mess. Couldn't happen to a nicer team etc...

I suppose that's one thing he'll have in common with Best - he'll never have the chance to shine in a world cup or euro championship. Ditto Giggs of course.
    Don't really think the World Cup is the "top" level these days, tbh.

Owen is certainly one that we can easily forget given what has happened to his career, really was bloody good wasn't he.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Don't really think the World Cup is the "top" level these days, tbh.
    Think the world cup gets a little bit too much bad press these days. May have lost some or it's shine and I certainly don't subscribe to the 'you have to do it in a world cup to be great' argument but it is still a bloody hard tournament to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Owen is certainly one that we can easily forget given what has happened to his career, really was bloody good wasn't he.
    Yeah, his scoring record for Liverpool was excellent really. Even in his last few years there, which weren't exactly remarkable, he still got plenty.

I suppose in a sense though, he was one of these players that was only ever a few injuries away from being completely shot. He was a really lethal finisher, and had great movement, but one got the feeling that he was rather reliant on his pace to make that movement.

Shame that he'll (surely) never play for England again though. Apart from Shearer, he's definitely the best forward to have played for the national team in my lifetime. Apart from Lineker, maybe.

Think the world cup gets a little bit too much bad press these days. May have lost some or it's shine and I certainly don't subscribe to the 'you have to do it in a world cup to be great' argument but it is still a bloody hard tournament to win.
    I think so too, but I suppose it depends what you define the "top" level as. I still think the World Cup is probably the most prestigious competition going, but I wouldn't have said it's the competition with the most quality on a team by team, or player by player, basis.

It's undoubtedly a massive challenge to win, but international tournaments often strike me as being more of a mental challenge, and a battle of attrition, as opposed to pure quality and technical ability.

Edit: Having said that, you still obviously need to have some quality to get anywhere!
    Last edited by sledger; 28-02-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Yeah Champions League is clearly the highest quality and it happens every year, although if a team as bad as Chelsea can win it..

Arsenal's year.

Gervinho inspired no doubt

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    To be fair to Gazza though at the time he played the World Cup was seen as the highest quality tournament.
    ★★★★★

Gervinho inspired no doubt
    Oh god, him.

He's one of these players, I just literally forget exists. He's that bad, I must have just blanked him from my memory.

Usually when a player returns from international duty or an injury lay off, I think "ah good, that should improve things somewhat/thank god he's back".

But with Gervinho, it's just horrible to remember that he actually exists, and to realise that he'll soon be back in the side. My god, he's so crap. He may even be worse than Glen Helder.

Yeah for sure and a great performance at a world cup still now has a special power.

I have no doubt that he was superb but 1990 has such a mythical status for England, especially those of a certain age that it is really hard for those that were way too young to ever really understand.

Thread Information