Page 170 of 343 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 5141

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It's usually more about adapting to the footballing culture than adapting to a drop in quality. Getting a decent run in the team is crucial too. You wouldn't say that Henry succeeded at Arsenal and Barca because the quality was lower than at Juventus, or that Pique was good for Barca because it's easier than playing for United.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah it is really hard to judge the relative quality of leagues anyway, I simply don't see enough German or Italian sides on a regular basis to have any idea on them so can only comment on Premiership and La Liga.

Can be no denying that La Liga has huge huge problems because of the finances of most of the clubs playing in it, I mean really if it was half decently run it would be the best league by an absolute mile. Would still say it is higher in quality, the average Spanish player from a lower half side is just much better than his English equivalent. Think the best indicator is the number of players that have come to England from outside Barcelona and R. Madrid and have been really outstanding in the Premiership and not just the obvious ones like Silva, Mata and Cazorla.
    Michu falls in that box too, but as has been said there are as many successes as failures and much is cultural/style-related as skill-based.

Personally, the Premier League feels like it's the worst it's been since the early-mid 90s. So many top division sides being dumped out of cups by lower divisions (which seem equally poor: witness the amount of everyone-beats-each-other going on in every other tier of the national leagues) and the limp surrender of all our sides in Europe...
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 20-02-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Yeah I agree with the general point about players adapting to different leagues and teams but I do think it is noticebale how well imports from La Liga have done over the last couple of years, with what Swansea have done being the prime example.

Premiership is definetly a lot weaker than it has been although this is easily the best United side since Ronaldo left. I actually think the standards below the Premiership are pretty healthy. Can't say much about Championship and League 2 but while there are no standout sides in League 1 this year I think the overall standard has improved quite a bit in the last 10 years.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I'm not exactly an expert, but I'd agree that the standard of the lower leagues is a lot better than it was a decade or so ago. You could say this for football - and probably most sports come to think of it - on the whole, but the general standard of athleticism and fitness strike me as being drastically better than it was around the turn of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    I strongly disagree with the notion that Dortmund are close to the second best team in Europe.
    Barcelona
    Real Madrid
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Manchester United

is the top 5 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Michu falls in that box too, but as has been said there are as many successes as failures and much is cultural/style-related as skill-based.

Personally, the Premier League feels like it's the worst it's been since the early-mid 90s. So many top division sides being dumped out of cups by lower divisions (which seem equally poor: witness the amount of everyone-beats-each-other going on in every other tier of the national leagues) and the limp surrender of all our sides in Europe...
    There's a complete dearth of genuinely world class talent in the Premier League IMO.

Well, well. Milan have just made things a little more interesting.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Milan 'doing a Chelsea' a hell of a lot more effectively than Chelsea did.

Barcelona really were a bit rubbish though.

Simon Champion!
    Portsmouth 2 Barcelona 0

****ing 75% possession. 1 Shot on goal and no saves from Abbiati.

Lol Barca.

They were rubbish today but they could very easily win 3-0 at home, well actually they always concede so 4-1 then.

Simon Champion!
    https://twitter.com/SimonTorresPike/...03739970035713

https://twitter.com/Coral/status/304273961653518337

This guy must hate Barca right now.

All other results he got right.

Edit - Okay Coral are giving him a paid for trip and tickets for the second leg at the Camp Nou, so that's atleast something.
    Last edited by Cevno; 20-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Barcelona
    Real Madrid
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Manchester United

is the top 5 IMO.
    I don't entirely disagree with this list (though I'd definitely have United above Dortmund) but that doesn't really mean they're close, I think the gap from United to Dortmund is significant. Dortmund are a very good team who can't compete on two fronts, which they've proved in both of the last two seasons.

EDIT: I also think Juventus are better than Dortmund overall, when fit and playing decently.
    Last edited by dontcloseyoureyes; 20-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    They were rubbish today but they could very easily win 3-0 at home, well actually they always concede so 4-1 then.
    If Milan are organized like they were today and defend well, then it certainly won't be easy. They have good pacy runners on the counter too.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    League Two feels really weak if I am honest; we have barely managed a settled attacking line-up, our best players are old stagers and/or cast-offs; we can't win at home... and yet we're right in the promotion mix. Teams go double-promo or double-rel on the back of momentum and loan signings (of which there are far too many in some sides).

Conversely players like Lambert, Austin and Le Fondre have made the transition from lower-league to top-level goalscoring fluidly, lots of these sides are turning premiership teams over, and teams are competing with higher level opposition when promoted with several players sticking the course from the lower tiers...

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Idiot fans here do love beating the "La Liga only has two teams" drum but they have twice as many teams in the CL last sixteen and generally do much, much better in the Europa League.

I've never seen Freiburg play so I can't have an opinion on that but Schalke are 9th in the Bundesliga and what they did to Arsenal most definitely constitutes a "dicking-on".
    In a week's time La Liga could very easily have 1 in both the Champions league and Europa (Levante). I wouldn't say La Liga are a two-team league but they, like the EPL, have dropped in standard IMO.

Bundesliga is the best league in the world right now.
    Last edited by Ikki; 21-02-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    ★★★★★

Thread Information