• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Choking is the order of the day in the football league.

Think I should probably put a tenner on AFC Wimbledon before I go down there on Saturday.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure anyone actually deserves promotion this season. Surely all these sides would get annhilated in the Championship. Been an amazing season though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least they evened themselves out. Was supporting Dortmund but do feel a bit sorry for Malaga. Would have been quite the fairytale for them, especially given their current financial situation.
Yeah it is amazingly bad officiating though.

Wanted Malaga to win because they have been great all tournament after what hapened to them in the summer but happy enough with Dortmund going through, we should get some cracking semi-finals.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Wanted Malaga to win because they have been great all tournament after what hapened to them in the summer but happy enough with Dortmund going through, we should get some cracking semi-finals.
Scottish officials TBH, can't blame them don't even officiate in competitive leagues.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming Barca and Bayern go through tomorrow, we'll have ourselves a season where there's a strong argument that the four Champions League semi-finalists are actually the four best teams in Europe.

Given that there is often a surprise packet or two, that must be quite rare.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Missed a second booking/sending off on Schmelzer too. Booked the Malaga player for playacting (which was justified you could say if you are being extremely strict in a way for exaggeration) but Schmelzer did make quite a bit of contact with him deliberately.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Missed a second booking/sending off on Schmelzer too. Booked the Malaga player for playacting (which was justified you could say if you are being extremely strict in a way for exaggeration) but Schmelzer did make quite a bit of contact with him deliberately.
I saw a similar incident when I was playing an U15 game- one of our players was sent off for catching someone in the face while trying to get the ball back for a throw-in, but the player he'd caught told the ref it was accidental and the decision was reversed. The contrast was mildly depressing so the Malaga man being booked made my night. Schmelzer barely even touched him and he went down clutching his face, refs don't penalise that bull**** anywhere near enough.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I saw a similar incident when I was playing an U15 game- one of our players was sent off for catching someone in the face while trying to get the ball back for a throw-in, but the player he'd caught told the ref it was accidental and the decision was reversed. The contrast was mildly depressing so the Malaga man being booked made my night. Schmelzer barely even touched him and he went down clutching his face, refs don't penalise that bull**** anywhere near enough.
That's not true. There was fair bit of contact. Obviously not enough for the player to go down clutching his face, then look up and see the referee coming and the crowd around him and then go down again clutching his face. :laugh:

You could say he deserved to be booked for simulation though many player do that these days and get away, but the weird part of that decision was that Schmelzer got away? He clearly lost his temper and did something stupid deliberately.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Who would you have ahead of them?
I think both of them are on Par with Juve and United. PSG probably in and around that too with the way they have been organized under Ancelotti. Though slightly lower than these 4.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's not true. There was fair bit of contact. Obviously not enough for the player to go down clutching his face, then look up and see the referee coming and the crowd around him and then go down again clutching his face. :laugh:

You could say he deserved to be booked for simulation though many player do that these days and get away, but the weird part of that decision was that Schmelzer got away? He clearly lost his temper and did something stupid deliberately.
I dunno, I would have to see it again and cbf.

It annoys me when players hold onto the ball like that. It's too easy to take time out of the game when you're winning in football, there's a whole art form to making a goal kick take 3 minutes. Rugby is just miles ahead on that kind of thing- if you touch the ball at all after it's awarded to the other team you're penalised, and the clock freezes when the ball goes out of play for any length of time.

Eds

International Debutant

It annoys me when players hold onto the ball like that. It's too easy to take time out of the game when you're winning in football, there's a whole art form to making a goal kick take 3 minutes. Rugby is just miles ahead on that kind of thing- if you touch the ball at all after it's awarded to the other team you're penalised, and the clock freezes when the ball goes out of play for any length of time.
Yeah, agreed. Particularly frustrating is the referees who forget that actually the extra time announced is a minimum. Two goals were scored in extra time, and yet the referee is happy to blow the whistle at 94:04 after four minutes was announced. I'm fairly sure there was a good minute and a half of non-playing time right there.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, agree with this but still shouldn't be doing what Schmelzer did.

Yeah, agreed. Particularly frustrating is the referees who forget that actually the extra time announced is a minimum. Two goals were scored in extra time, and yet the referee is happy to blow the whistle at 94:04 after four minutes was announced. I'm fairly sure there was a good minute and a half of non-playing time right there.
Agree with this too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I'm starting to come round to the idea that football should be 2 halves of 30 minutes with the clock stopping when the ball isn't in play.