• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think they'll be right; T*ttenham seem in the grips of their now traditional (and heartening) business end of the season jibbing.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I really like/rate Monreal. Could well be the difference for Arsenal making CL football imo.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think he's settled very well and made quite a bit of difference tbh. He's had the odd wobble, but for a player who's moved to the Premiership from Spain, and in the January transfer window no less, he's settled really well.

Kieran Gibbs with a real fight on his hands now, as I should have thought Monreal will be automatic first choice for the foreseeable future.

Edit: In fact, out the Premiership games he's played since joining, Arsenal have won 6 out of 7, and conceded 4 goals. Conversely, in the 7 games prior to him signing, Arsenal won 2, and conceded 11.

I'm not trying to say he alone is responsible for the turnaround, but I think it's more than coincidence that Arsenal improved upon his signing.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Should have thought Newcastle will see off Fulham tomorrow. Newcastle have been poor of late, but they've got too many genuinely good players to go down surely. They've under performed really badly this year, no doubt about it, but Fulham aren't great away from Home.
This is what I thought 4 years ago tbh.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well 2-2 then, in a rather unlike Spurs in April development. Race for the champions league could be really good in the next few weeks.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It definitely wasn't true 4 years ago, yous were ****e. You really, really shouldn't be going down with the team you have now.
Okay we weren't a particularly good team, but we certainly weren't that bad either. I remember at the time the general consensus was similar - 'they really shouldn't go down with the players they have'. At that time we even still had Given, N'Zogbia, Nolan, Jose Enrique and some others, they just didn't perform anywhere near capability.

Edit: In any case, my main point is that quality of players doesn't count for anything if they aren't performing to a good enough standard. No one is 'too good' to be guaranteed safety and that is what 4 years ago taught me.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It definitely wasn't true 4 years ago, yous were ****e. You really, really shouldn't be going down with the team you have now.
Yeah, agreed. The Newcastle side that was relegated just gave the illusion of being good, with a bunch of players who for some reason had good reputations despite being mundane/poor.

Shame Everton couldn't have held on a bit longer today, would have been extremely amusing. Suspect Sunderland might be beaten now that Chelsea have equalised, but as things stand it's been a really great weekend so far.

Edit: Crap, just realised Chelsea are now leading.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Okay we weren't a particularly good team, but we certainly weren't that bad either. I remember at the time the general consensus was similar - 'they really shouldn't go down with the players they have'. At that time we even still had Given, N'Zogbia, Nolan, Jose Enrique and some others, they just didn't perform anywhere near capability.
Pretty sure Given was sold halfway through the season tbh. And the other players you mention aren't exactly in the "too good to go down" category for mine, would describe them all as "average/effective", rather than "good". With the exception of Enrique, perhaps.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, agreed. The Newcastle side that was relegated just gave the illusion of being good, with a bunch of players who for some reason had good reputations despite being mundane/poor.
Yeah this is exactly how I remember them. Lots of players that had once been good but now weren't- Viduka, Owen, Butt, Duff. I don't remember Enrique being particularly highly rated at the time either.

Agree with the point on "too good to go down" anyway, though. Even at this stage it would only take some bad luck and a few of the other teams getting it together to see Newcastle relegated.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year

Shame Everton couldn't have held on a bit longer today, would have been extremely amusing. Suspect Sunderland might be beaten now that Chelsea have equalised, but as things stand it's been a really great weekend so far.

Edit: Crap, just realised Chelsea are now leading.
Probably true tbh. Do remember the popular opinion was that suuurely we couldn't be relegated, and not just from our fans.

Also yeah Given was sold in January actually. So was N'Zogbia, who had just started to grow into a really good player, but then became overly ambitious looking for 'bigger challenges' or something, only to move to Wigan.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zamora just hilarious.

Townsend is really good though, not sure why Spurs loaned him out, they could do with him as an option in these last few weeks.