• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I can't recall an incident where fans have been reported for making these sorts of chants at their own players. New depths.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
"Build a Bonfire"? Not racist. Not in an eternity.

That's been a terrace chant since forever, with any two hate figures / rival clubs inserted in the middle lines.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Build a Bonfire"? Not racist. Not in an eternity.

That's been a terrace chant since forever, with any two hate figures / rival clubs inserted in the middle lines.
Well, basically there's only one story that would make them both hated, so I'm calling them racist ****s.

Pothas

I was going to say...is there more to the song that's not being published?
Yeah I assumed there was, because yeah that song has been around forever. Although why they would bring Anton into it unless it had something to do with the Terry thing is hard to think of.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah I assumed there was, because yeah that song has been around forever. Although why they would bring Anton into it unless it had something to do with the Terry thing is hard to think of.
Agreed, although it is an old song and it is the obvious second line.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Grey area but I think it's racist. They've effectively made a hate figure out of someone for the 'crime' of being racially abused.

It's kind of odd that if they'd been singing about putting his mother in the middle it wouldn't provoke any action. Very high bar for what makes people object when it comes to footy chants.

grecian

Grey area but I think it's racist. They've effectively made a hate figure out of someone for the 'crime' of being racially abused.

It's kind of odd that if they'd been singing about putting his mother in the middle it wouldn't provoke any action. Very high bar for what makes people object when it comes to footy chants.

Grey area, in the legal sense, but my original comment was based on how much I like England supporters, and I have no doubt that whoever sang this is ****ing pond-life.

Oh, and a lot of us quite rightly go after racist comments from oppo fans, how the **** can we be so ****ing judgemental when we have fans like this.

Isn't it the Eastern European defence, that we just misunderstand the chants because of the culture.

The Ferdinands don't deserve the abuse, particularly Anton. **** those supporters, I hope we get fined.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Grey area, in the legal sense, but my original comment was based on how much I like England supporters, and I have no doubt that whoever sang this is ****ing pond-life.

Oh, and a lot of us quite rightly go after racist comments from oppo fans, how the **** can we be so ****ing judgemental when we have fans like this.

Isn't it the Eastern European defence, that we just misunderstand the chants because of the culture.

The Ferdinands don't deserve the abuse, particularly Anton. **** those supporters, I hope we get fined.
Rio's a **** in many ways but, as my Man U hating Dad said on facebook recently, he's still a human being and there's no need to cross the line. I'm not convinced we should be fined based on what I've read so far but I agree in general with you about the pondlife etc. And if we're angry about him not playing, how is singling him out in chants going to help? It's a menatlity I don't understand at every level of football. One of our players, Adam McGurk, has turned away from the fans after scoring key goals this season because of the abuse sections of them have given him. It's ridiculous.

I digress, I dunno, I'm really torn on this. Mate of mine (well, more of an associate tbh) was at the game and said he heard nothing but he also seems to have been absolutely ballooned for the whole of his trip so hardly a credible witness.

One way or another, these geezers have embarassed us, but would it be setting a dangerous precedent to actaulyl officially label it racist?

(PS I'm a little on the oppposite side of sober so)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thanks for those. The trip to the Ukraine looks fraught with danger. IIRC we were lucky to draw at Wembley, and we were lucky to win there in the euros as well. And didn't we lose a previous qualifier there a few years ago?
Yes and no.

We did lose, but we'd already qualified thanks to home and away wins over Croatia and by going down to the Ukraine it meant said Croats missed out on a play-off, so (given the history between us and Croatia, Bilic's "We're just a better team" quote and all) I can't imagine the players were that heartbroken to come second on the day.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Screamer free kick from Lambert to put Saints back in front.

I've been on fire with my choice of stream today.

Jarquis

No idea how Arsenal are only 1 up. Or how Leighterwood hasn't been booked. Foy having a 'mare in general.
Gervinho showing why he causes fans so much frustration.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Stonewaller of a pen not given too. Not sure what the ref was playing at with that one.

Gervinho indeed frustrating, but we must remember that he's playing against v low quality oppo here. And he's still missed a couple of reasonable chances.

Should defo be 3 or 4 up though.