• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm intrigued as to why it was an outrageously wrong decision not to send off de Jong in the WC final for karate kicking someone, but it's now an outrageously wrong decision to send off Nani for karate kicking someone.

cpr

International Coach
I'm intrigued as to why it was an outrageously wrong decision not to send off de Jong in the WC final for karate kicking someone, but it's now an outrageously wrong decision to send off Nani for karate kicking someone.

Can't really remember the WC final one, but Nani was all eyes on ball. Ball was nigh on his toes and was trying to bring it down when Arbeloa came in. No malice in it

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It was a good strike, but the extra man has made all the difference in terms of how much space he had. The ref was pleased to see it go in, you'd think.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was never convinced de Jong was a definite red. It's whether you think there's intent or not, which is hard to be reasonably confident. He didn't have a big kick, he just braced his leg with studs up against an opponent running onto him.

Nani just lifted his leg up, the sort of thing that happens regularly, even in other countries with a high leg phobia. No intent and no violent action.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And all over now barring something beyond extraordinary. Credit to Ronaldo for barely celebrating. But Utd have been well and truly shafted tonight. I'm trying to work out whether it's kinder to assume gross incompetence or something worse on the part of the ref. To get that big a decision so very wrong is beyond me. It wasn't like he didn't have time to think about it, either.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was never convinced de Jong was a definite red. It's whether you think there's intent or not, which is hard to be reasonably confident. He didn't have a big kick, he just braced his leg with studs up against an opponent running onto him.

Nani just lifted his leg up, the sort of thing that happens regularly, even in other countries with a high leg phobia. No intent and no violent action.
For the record, I don't think either were reds as neither looked to have the "excessive force" necessary to merit serious foul play and deserve a red card, but am rather amused/perplexed by the disparity in reactions between the two offences.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the the important game Brentford go and **** it up in typical style. League one is getting stupid now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For the record, I don't think either were reds as neither looked to have the "excessive force" necessary to merit serious foul play and deserve a red card, but am rather amused/perplexed by the disparity in reactions between the two offences.
TBH I think de Jong's gained notoriety in retrospect because it spawned a still photo that made it look far worse than it was. But at least it was an actual challenge, Nani was just trying to bring the ball down over his shoulder and collided with Arbeloa coming the other way.

****ing gutting. I didn't think we were better than Madrid going in but I do now. And we're out anyway.

Last edited: